What’s Brewing?

Reads 2551 • Replies 21 • Started Monday, October 19, 2015 3:40:58 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

blipp
beers 14843 º places 219 º 15:40 Mon 10/19/2015

After taking nearly a year off of brewing (wedding, work travel, moving across the country, etc), I’m finally back into the game.

First batch back was a ~7.0% ABV IPA, with Mosaic and Citra, which is currently in secondary and will be bottled next weekend.

This past weekend I brewed a saison. Plan is to move it into secondary on Thursday (maybe), with a few pounds of cranberries. Next weekend will be a pumpkin ale. Both are obviously intended to bring along to holiday get-togethers.

So, what does everyone else have brewing? Anything special planned for Thanksgiving/Christmas/New Years?

HornyDevil
17:34 Mon 10/19/2015

Won’t be brewing anything for a couple months (DIPA with Azacca and Centennial), but I’ll be bottling a sour whose only lactic acid bacteria is oenococcus oeni (instead of lactobacillus and/or pediococcus) and transferring a sorghum-based sour into a Balcones whiskey barrel with some D90 and buckwheat honey. Should be a fun weekend.

drowland
beers 11069 º places 430 º 06:44 Tue 10/20/2015

Transferred a light wheat ale with hull melon hops onto fresh Canteloupe last night for an upcoming party. Have enough ingredients for an 8gal of Berliner Weiss that I’m hoping to brew Friday and kettle sour with that Omega blend.

HaStuMiteZen99
beers 1111 º places 27 º 09:44 Tue 10/20/2015

I’ve not long brewed a strong ale fermented which is fermenting with the Hill Farmstead saison culture (thanks CLevar!). Soon, it’s getting some lemon zest, lavender and raw heather honey. Should finish very dry and about 12% abv. It was sort of a spur-of-the-moment thing that I’d thought I’d have for Christmas, but realistically, it’s probably going to be the new year before it’s reaching its peak.

There’s some chance I’ll have a strong, dark sour ready by then - it’s over 13% and had a mad mix of microbes, red wine and oak - but that’s a little unlikely too.

I might fire something quick together so I’ve got something ready in time. Doesn’t feel like Christmas unless there’s some festive homebrew. Maybe something low in alcohol (maybe 4-5%), fermented with the Chimay culture with some heritage apples baked in spices. Pale malt with a little Special B for the grist, I suppose. Better get on that soon, if I’m doing it.

skinnyguy
14:32 Tue 10/20/2015

Last Wednesday I brewed a blond ale, sour blond ale (15gal worth to do different fruit additions with), oatmeal milk stout, a Belgian strong dark and the small beer from the strong dark grains. The oatmeal milk stout is destined for nitro at family events. The blond might still be around by Christmas, as well as the small beer. The sours and strong dark might be ready by next holiday season (though I doubt the sours will).

HornyDevil
16:01 Tue 10/20/2015

Originally posted by GarethYoung
I’ve not long brewed a strong ale fermented which is fermenting with the Hill Farmstead saison culture (thanks CLevar!). Soon, it’s getting some lemon zest, lavender and raw heather honey. Should finish very dry and about 12% abv. It was sort of a spur-of-the-moment thing that I’d thought I’d have for Christmas, but realistically, it’s probably going to be the new year before it’s reaching its peak.

There’s some chance I’ll have a strong, dark sour ready by then - it’s over 13% and had a mad mix of microbes, red wine and oak - but that’s a little unlikely too.

What up wit all the huge sour beers, brah?

Originally posted by GarethYoungI might fire something quick together so I’ve got something ready in time. Doesn’t feel like Christmas unless there’s some festive homebrew. Maybe something low in alcohol (maybe 4-5%), fermented with the Chimay culture with some heritage apples baked in spices. Pale malt with a little Special B for the grist, I suppose. Better get on that soon, if I’m doing it.

The holidays don’t exactly scream "low alcohol". A spiced dubbel or quad would be nice and could be ready by then if you brewed it now. A weizenbock would be lovely, as well. If you’re into that kind of thing, that is.

temporrari
beers 400 º places 12 º 16:26 Tue 10/20/2015

Last weekend I made a brown ale, simple recipe. Rahr pale ale malt for the base with 1lb each of Victory malt, Briess Special Roast, and crystal 60. Then 6 oz of British chocolate malt. Apollo to bitter for 35 ibus, an oz of Fuggle late. US 05. Should be kegging in another week, 10 days maybe. Depends how lazy I feel about doing it.

HaStuMiteZen99
beers 1111 º places 27 º 05:40 Wed 10/21/2015

Originally posted by HornyDevil
Originally posted by GarethYoung

What up wit all the huge sour beers, brah?

The saison won’t be sour - just strong. I like boozy beers in winter. The dark sour one has been on the go for a while. Sort of inspired by Oerbier Reserva, which is one of the best things I’ve tasted. I don’t normally go that strong with sour beers. I do find that acidity covers alcohol very impressively.

Originally posted by GarethYoungI might fire something quick together so I’ve got something ready in time. Doesn’t feel like Christmas unless there’s some festive homebrew. Maybe something low in alcohol (maybe 4-5%), fermented with the Chimay culture with some heritage apples baked in spices. Pale malt with a little Special B for the grist, I suppose. Better get on that soon, if I’m doing it.

The holidays don’t exactly scream "low alcohol". A spiced dubbel or quad would be nice and could be ready by then if you brewed it now. A weizenbock would be lovely, as well. If you’re into that kind of thing, that is.

That’s true, but since I love Belgian Christmas beers, which are all pretty strong, it’s good to have something fairly low ABV around to drink while I’m cooking or whatever, so I’m not smashed at 6pm.

I do like Weizenbocks. Given Aventinus exists and is easy to get, I’ve never been motivated to brew one though. Might get round to it at some point.

dchmela
beers 3095 º places 108 º 08:07 Wed 10/21/2015

Just did a CCB Tocabaga clone on Saturday which should be all good to go for the holidays. Not a holiday beer per se, but a nice big body red ale, with a good amount of hops. I probably won’t get a chance to brew until Turkey weekend, but already planning a winter brew.

CLevar
places 23 º 09:44 Wed 10/21/2015

Very little homebrew these days. Which is kinda a bummer, but as I’m brewing 3-4 days a week I can’t really complain.

Homer321
beers 5369 º places 54 º 11:43 Wed 10/21/2015

Just bought 3 pounds of citra and 3 pounds of simcoe. Lots of hops in the near future.

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer