When did craft beer jump the shark?

Reads 24762 • Replies 151 • Started Tuesday, December 6, 2011 4:24:16 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

beastiefan2k
beers 5012 º places 294 º 20:48 Wed 12/7/2011

Originally posted by TAR
Originally posted by BlackIPA
Hennepin is a shining example of a quality saison at a rock bottom price ($7.99/4 pack). Helios is pretty good as well, $3.50/22oz here.

Hennepin is not a saison, IMHO. But regardless of style, it is a banana bomb and very unclean with too much alcohol.

I have never liked Hennepin. That is not my kind of beer.

alagnak
beers 468 º places 90 º 21:17 Wed 12/7/2011

Originally posted by theisti

It’s also holiday season, so a great gift for your friend or boss who "is into beer". I would be 0% shocked if my in-laws bought me this for Christmas.

Xmas list 2011

Wife
Son
Daughter
Mother
Sister
Tim

robrules
places 1 º 04:45 Thu 12/8/2011

It’s really basic economics - limited (and restricted) supply, growing demand. Love or Hate eBay, it is a decent indicator of where supply and demand intersect.

I don’t think a few rabid fans with enough disposable income (or not) willing to pay top dollar for something collectible/tradeable is a true indicator of the craft market. Obviously these people value something other than the experience of drinking beer - which I think the majority of craft beer drinkers do.

The real question for me is what happens when demand starts to wane - and it will eventually. All signs are pointing going through the same cycle we saw in the 90’s where investors are jumping on the bandwagon a little too late and getting into craft beer merely for the profit and not for the love of beer. The plethora of brands available are creating quality issues (freshness). And the sheer number of planned breweries - most of which are severely under capitalized. High priced beers are already seeing a pushback by long time craft beer lovers who will be there when the new entrants jump to another trend of the day - all its going to take is a few articles saying that craft is dead for the domino effect to take place.

Then you have to consider the future wave of consolidation when original craft beer owners sell out or pass their business down and the impact that results from losing the vision of the original owners. And mega brewer corporations inching their way into the market will have a huge impact on the craft market. IMO those that have built their companies on repeat purchases (consistent quality, affordable flagship brands) will be standing tall in 10 years, and most of those that based their business model on the current fad of the premium craft beer market and trendsetters who value things other than the beer drinking experience will have a tough time.

theisti
beers 5287 º places 1153 º 06:21 Thu 12/8/2011

Originally posted by alagnak

It’s also holiday season, so a great gift for your friend or boss who "is into beer". I would be 0% shocked if my in-laws bought me this for Christmas.

Xmas list 2011

Wife
Son
Daughter
Mother
Sister
Tim

Just send me some of the homebrew you mentioned yesterday, and we’re good.

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 06:23 Thu 12/8/2011

I dig beer.

theisti
beers 5287 º places 1153 º 06:25 Thu 12/8/2011

Originally posted by robrules

It’s really basic economics - limited (and restricted) supply, growing demand. Love or Hate eBay, it is a decent indicator of where supply and demand intersect.

I don’t think a few rabid fans with enough disposable income (or not) willing to pay top dollar for something collectible/tradeable is a true indicator of the craft market. Obviously these people value something other than the experience of drinking beer - which I think the majority of craft beer drinkers do.

The real question for me is what happens when demand starts to wane - and it will eventually. All signs are pointing going through the same cycle we saw in the 90’s where investors are jumping on the bandwagon a little too late and getting into craft beer merely for the profit and not for the love of beer. The plethora of brands available are creating quality issues (freshness). And the sheer number of planned breweries - most of which are severely under capitalized. High priced beers are already seeing a pushback by long time craft beer lovers who will be there when the new entrants jump to another trend of the day - all its going to take is a few articles saying that craft is dead for the domino effect to take place.

Then you have to consider the future wave of consolidation when original craft beer owners sell out or pass their business down and the impact that results from losing the vision of the original owners. And mega brewer corporations inching their way into the market will have a huge impact on the craft market. IMO those that have built their companies on repeat purchases (consistent quality, affordable flagship brands) will be standing tall in 10 years, and most of those that based their business model on the current fad of the premium craft beer market and trendsetters who value things other than the beer drinking experience will have a tough time.

All great points.

I think rabid fans are self renewing. We’re talking about the fringe of an already relatively small market when it comes to rare beer. As long as they’re being made, I think there will be a market.

Couldn’t agree more on the majority of craft beer drinkers enjoying quality "everyday beers". All my wine geek friends are the same way.

Man, you and I think alike - the next decade will be about consolidation and the mega-global brands seriously throwing their weight around. Look at wine. Look at Scotch - its coming.

NobleSquirrel
beers 3437 º places 209 º 07:17 Thu 12/8/2011

Originally posted by TAR
Originally posted by Satchboogie
There’s plenty of cheap saisons on the shelf.

Sadly, I do not see this as an accurate statement. Cheap saisons are seemingly nonexistent these days. And this keeps getting worse. But I am all ears of you care to name some. . .

Boulevard Tank 7, Goose Island Sofie, Dupont off the top of my head all come in 4 packs for less than $10. Depending on your definition of cheap, I’d say that’s a good starting point.

3fourths
beers 9492 º places 1576 º 07:34 Thu 12/8/2011

Originally posted by NobleSquirrel
Originally posted by TAR
Originally posted by Satchboogie
There’s plenty of cheap saisons on the shelf.

Sadly, I do not see this as an accurate statement. Cheap saisons are seemingly nonexistent these days. And this keeps getting worse. But I am all ears of you care to name some. . .

Boulevard Tank 7, Goose Island Sofie, Dupont off the top of my head all come in 4 packs for less than $10. Depending on your definition of cheap, I’d say that’s a good starting point.

oh god, now you done got him going...

mkgrenwel
beers 619 º places 117 º 07:56 Thu 12/8/2011

Originally posted by TAR

Hennepin is not a saison, IMHO. But regardless of style, it is a banana bomb and very unclean with too much alcohol. Helios isn’t really a saison, either.

Honestly though, how many American made "Saisons" really are?

IMHO, Americans have been great at embracing brewing traditions and styles from all over the world and nailing them. Saison is not one of those styles.

MilkmanDan
beers 1942 º places 20 º 08:34 Thu 12/8/2011

I can never decide whether I love these threads or hate these threads. Probably both.

For me, it jumped when I saw Avery’s The Kaiser in a store; an imperial oktoberfest? The shark then jumped itself when Stone made an imperial mild. At that point, things just started seeming silly.