When To Add Maple Syrup & Pumpkin To Beer...

Reads 5382 • Replies 15 • Started Sunday, August 19, 2012 4:04:54 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

treyrab
beers 3 º 16:04 Sun 8/19/2012

Hi All -

Going to brew a maple pumpkin ale soon for the fall season. The base beer is a 7% brown ale, which I will be adding Grade B maple syrup and pumpkin (in some form).

When is the best time to add maple (secondary?), and what is the best form of pumpkin to use? I was considering using 100% pure canned pumpkin flesh. If that is the case, when is the best time to add it? Or would pumpkin spice be easier/cleaner?

Thanks all!

Trey

pellegjr
beers 396 º places 16 º 18:06 Sun 8/19/2012

You’ll actually get a flavor closer to pumpkin with sweet potato or acorn squash. I usually roast them and add to the mash. In terms of the maple syrup, are you looking for fermented or unfermented maple flavor?

treyrab
beers 3 º 05:55 Mon 8/20/2012

Sweet potato - that is interesting. Never heard of that before. Do you roast/bake them just as you would for dinner? Maybe this is the better option.

Well, fermented maple flavor I hear is very light. So probably unfermented - I’d like a little sweetness. I have 2 pounds of Grade B maple syrup right now.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

treyrab
beers 3 º 05:56 Mon 8/20/2012

Also, how many pounds of sweet potato would you add?

Unclerudy
beers 30 º places 3 º 06:00 Mon 8/20/2012

Carb with maple syrup instead of corn sugar.

pellegjr
beers 396 º places 16 º 06:19 Mon 8/20/2012

Originally posted by Unclerudy

Great option, you can also add fenugreek to either mash or 15 left in boil, that will get you in unmistakably maple syrup territory.

Although I think Mike’s option is better.

pellegjr
beers 396 º places 16 º 06:22 Mon 8/20/2012

Originally posted by treyrab
Sweet potato - that is interesting. Never heard of that before. Do you roast/bake them just as you would for dinner? Maybe this is the better option.

Well, fermented maple flavor I hear is very light. So probably unfermented - I’d like a little sweetness. I have 2 pounds of Grade B maple syrup right now.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Yes, just a regular roast (no butter or oil added obviously). I would probably allocate ~ 20% of your mash fermentables to the sweet potato (although it depends on how assertive you want the flavor to be).

treyrab
beers 3 º 10:08 Mon 8/20/2012

I will be kegging this though. Should I add maple syrup to the keg?

treyrab
beers 3 º 10:10 Mon 8/20/2012

What is the deal with fenugreek. What is this? How much to add, and when? Really appreciate the help guys.

treyrab
beers 3 º 10:15 Mon 8/20/2012

Ok, so I am thinking something like this:

Roast 2 lbs sweet potato and 1 lbs canned pumpkin puree. Add to mash.

Add 1 lbs Grade B maple at flameout along with a small amount of pumpkin spices, and 1 lbs maple in secondary before kegging.

Sound like a good plan?

pellegjr
beers 396 º places 16 º 10:16 Mon 8/20/2012

Originally posted by treyrab

I will be kegging this though. Should I add maple syrup to the keg?

Yes. Take a measured sample from the batch and add maple syrup till you get the ratio you want, then scale up to the full batch.

Fenugreek is a spice that is added to artificial maple syrup to give it "maple" flavor. I think it’s a bit oppresive myself, but it will definitely give your brew assertive maple flavor. I think you’re much better off adding the grade B @ kegging however, much more subtle and authentic maple flavor.

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer