Where did 3711 come from?

Reads 5583 • Replies 17 • Started Thursday, July 23, 2015 11:00:32 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

SamGamgee
beers 2452 º places 182 º 23:00 Thu 7/23/2015

I was recently at Thiriez, where this yeast has been said to come from, and in the opinion of the owner, 3711 is probably not from his brewery. After using this yeast many times and finally making it to Thiriez to try their range, I find that their beers don’t display the same yeast characteristics that any 3711 beers that I have brewed or drunk have had.

Thiriez gets their yeast from a bank in Brussels that they have an exclusive contract with, so no other breweries or banks can get it from the source. And the fact that 3711 is called "French Saison" would be funny if it was his yeast because it is actually a Belgian saison yeast that a French brewer buys.

I guess it is possible that Wyeast isolated it from a Thiriez bottle and got a mutated strain that behaves and tastes different, but that seems odd to me. If this yeast is not from Thiriez, then where?

SamGamgee
beers 2452 º places 182 º 23:06 Thu 7/23/2015

The saison thread got me thinking about yeasts used to brew saison, so I thought I would put this out there.

Belgian banks have many strains of yeast that are not commercially available in the US, and traditional saison brewers would have used all kinds of different strains with different character. Dupont is the only Belgian brewer to use their yeast that I know of, and they have personally maintained it at the brewery for four generations now. Other saison brewers would have used other strains that might now be used at non-saison breweries or might only exist in banks at this point.

Blaugies is the one brewery that I think has a house character close to 3711, being very dry and somewhat spicy. I just had their La Vermontoise while in Brussels and was blown away by it.

SamGamgee
beers 2452 º places 182 º 23:09 Thu 7/23/2015

Also, Dupont centrifuges out their primary yeast strain before bottling, and then adds a different strain for bottle conditioning, so it would be very difficult or impossible to culture the primary yeast out of a bottle. I have always wondered about the origins of the different "Belgian Saison" (I, II, III, etc) strains that White Labs and Wyeast sell and wonder if any are their primary yeast or if they are the bottling strain that might perform differently in a primary fermentation. Dupont was fermenting their beers up in the high 90s F when I was there, FWIW,

CLevar
places 23 º 23:46 Thu 7/23/2015

I know many people reference this guide, but I really don’t know how accurate it is or not. I’d be interested to see Kris’ sources on them, or how he came to the conclusions that he came to. I think many of them are seen as "common knowledge" sorts of things, but I think that your experience may speak to a bit of common misunderstanding

http://www.mrmalty.com/yeast.htm

CLevar
places 23 º 23:54 Thu 7/23/2015

Also, FWIW, I’ve only had a single beer (that I can recall) that was from Thiriez. It was a hoppy something or other, so the yeast character was muted a bit, but I *thought* I picked out the 3711 character in it. However, this may simply be a case of my expectations influencing my perceptions.

joeneugs
beers 6372 º places 240 º 00:14 Fri 7/24/2015

Interesting. Do you think the origin of these strains is really important? You already mentioned how a lot of these strains probably mutate with the high fermentation temps. I’ve heard some people can get results they like by combining different strains e.g. using Dupont to start and then finishing with 3711.

I’m brewing up a hoppy Belgian ale tommorow morning with a yeast I cultured up from a couple semi-fresh bottles from De la Senne. I’m really excited to see how that one turns out.

beastiefan2k
beers 5012 º places 294 º 01:31 Fri 7/24/2015

Originally posted by SamGamgee
Dupont was fermenting their beers up in the high 90s F when I was there, FWIW,

oh my.

SamGamgee
beers 2452 º places 182 º 01:50 Fri 7/24/2015

Originally posted by joeneugs
Interesting. Do you think the origin of these strains is really important? You already mentioned how a lot of these strains probably mutate with the high fermentation temps. I’ve heard some people can get results they like by combining different strains e.g. using Dupont to start and then finishing with 3711.

I’m brewing up a hoppy Belgian ale tommorow morning with a yeast I cultured up from a couple semi-fresh bottles from De la Senne. I’m really excited to see how that one turns out.

De La Senne is an interesting case. Yvan is famously guarded about where he got his yeast, out of respect for the brewer that gave it to him, I am told. But he has said that it is a larger Belgian brewer that most people would know... I’ve wondered if it is from Duvel actually but can’t really tell based on the character alone.

SamGamgee
beers 2452 º places 182 º 01:52 Fri 7/24/2015

Recently brewed a batch of saison (no really, it’s a saison, I think) with the Wallonian Farmhouse yeast from Yeast Bay, reputed to be from Fantome. Have yet to taste the result though.

SamGamgee
beers 2452 º places 182 º 01:54 Fri 7/24/2015

Originally posted by beastiefan2k
Dupont was fermenting their beers up in the high 90s F when I was there, FWIW,

oh my.

And that’s just one of a whole series of things that they do that is very different from what almost all American brewers of "saison" are doing. Just having a yeast that supposedly came from them is just a piece of the puzzle if you want to make a beer like theirs.

ekstedt
beers 8338 º places 428 º 03:56 Fri 7/24/2015

Blaugies is the one brewery that I think has a house character close to 3711, being very dry and somewhat spicy. I just had their La Vermontoise while in Brussels and was blown away by it.

I was under the impression that the Blaugies yeast originates from the Dupont strain, and a google search seem to give some loose support to this. I have always thought of Blaugies being quite similar to Dupont.

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer