WLP099 - Super High Gravity

Reads 5608 • Replies 20 • Started Tuesday, August 9, 2016 1:43:59 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

HornyDevil
13:43 Tue 8/9/2016

Anyone who has used this yeast care to share stories about how high they’ve gone with it and what beers they’ve used it in?

VsXsV
beers 5000 º places 92 º 14:18 Tue 8/9/2016

I haven’t used it, but I have several friends who have. All of them have had it ferment insanely much. One guy had an OG of 1111, it fermented until 998 (!). Another had OG over 1120, ended close to 1000. And so it goes. Kind of an infamous yeast on the Swedish home brewing scene.

HornyDevil
14:46 Tue 8/9/2016

Originally posted by VsXsV
I haven’t used it, but I have several friends who have. All of them have had it ferment insanely much. One guy had an OG of 1111, it fermented until 998 (!). Another had OG over 1120, ended close to 1000. And so it goes. Kind of an infamous yeast on the Swedish home brewing scene.

Cool. I have a quad braggot that is in the fermenter with it that should turn out 18%+ from an OG of 1.166. Seems as if it should handle that pretty easily.

How’d your friends’ beers taste?

VsXsV
beers 5000 º places 92 º 14:57 Tue 8/9/2016

Quite boozy honestly, keep the fermenting temperature pretty low (below 20 C definitely). And give it lots of time to age.

HornyDevil
15:40 Tue 8/9/2016

Quite boozy honestly, keep the fermenting temperature pretty low (below 20 C definitely). And give it lots of time to age.

Right on.

Homer321
beers 5369 º places 54 º 15:52 Tue 8/9/2016

I used it for a 120min clone. I found it best when pitching another yeast like 001 first, then adding the 099 while continuing to "feed" the fermentation with more sugars (I was adding 1 lb of corn sugar a day after a couple days. This is when I pitched the 099). Never used it as the "only" yeast, always a a closer to complete the attenuation to the desired level.

HornyDevil
16:47 Tue 8/9/2016

Originally posted by Homer321
I used it for a 120min clone. I found it best when pitching another yeast like 001 first, then adding the 099 while continuing to "feed" the fermentation with more sugars (I was adding 1 lb of corn sugar a day after a couple days. This is when I pitched the 099). Never used it as the "only" yeast, always a a closer to complete the attenuation to the desired level.

I’ve heard of a bunch of people using it as a secondary yeast as well.

I just waited for high krausen and added the all the honey. It has slowly been eating through it and the layer of honey at the bottom of the carboy is almost gone after about a week. I’m still going to give it about a month total in the fermenter before bottling.

spacecoyote
11:29 Wed 8/10/2016

I’ve used it much in the same manner. As a primary strain it tends to get tired/stall out when it’s forced to do all the work, but it excels as a secondary strain.

As a primary strain it makes great imperial stout and Belgian Dark-strongs, when finishing ~11.8%abv. Much above that, when starting from scratch, it will likely conk out.

HornyDevil
05:05 Thu 8/11/2016

Originally posted by spacecoyote

I’ve used it much in the same manner. As a primary strain it tends to get tired/stall out when it’s forced to do all the work, but it excels as a secondary strain.

As a primary strain it makes great imperial stout and Belgian Dark-strongs, when finishing ~11.8%abv. Much above that, when starting from scratch, it will likely conk out.

Have you personally had it stall as a primary strain? If so, care to share the details of the beer(s) in which it stalled?

spacecoyote
09:12 Thu 8/11/2016

Originally posted by HornyDevil
Originally posted by spacecoyote

Have you personally had it stall as a primary strain? If so, care to share the details of the beer(s) in which it stalled?

I’ve never taken it far enough to stress it. Since there’s enough anecdotal evidence out there I decided that it wasn’t worth the risk.

HornyDevil
18:41 Tue 10/4/2016

Originally posted by HornyDevil

Cool. I have a quad braggot that is in the fermenter with it that should turn out 18%+ from an OG of 1.166. Seems as if it should handle that pretty easily.

After two months in the fermenter, I finally bottled this braggot this past weekend. Fantastic tasting stuff with a LOT of dark fruits and noticeable alcohol warmth, but not what I’d call "hot" as I don’t get a lot of booze on the nose. Some, but not a lot, and it isn’t off-putting. Will be a nice beer when the weather cools off.

Poured an imperial stout onto the cake. Even though the cake was fresh, it took about 3 days for it to kick off active fermentation. The base beer is now sitting on 7 lbs. of honey that I added this evening. 5 lbs. of clover and 2 lbs. of Japanese Knotweed. The about 3.5 gallons of beer should come in around 22% if the yeast does its job. Will certainly report back with results.

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer