Work visit to SF 21st Nov - 12th Dec

Reads 660 • Replies 7 • Started Monday, November 16, 2015 5:09:09 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

mR_fr0g
beers 29110 º places 44 º 17:09 Mon 11/16/2015

Hi. My work is flying me to SF for 3 weeks from the 21st November to the 12th December. I imagine I’ll have most evenings free plus the weekends if anyone fancies meeting up for a few drinks or IP trades. I’ve already picked up some valuable info of where to get etc from the RB map and a couple of other threads in this metro.

My work is on Mission and I’ll be staging around North Beach, but I’m aiming to visit quite a few of the Bay area breweries.

t0rin0
beers 102 º places 1528 º 17:30 Mon 11/16/2015

I’ll be up that way for Thanksgiving but a lot of places aren’t open the day after. If they’re going to be open I wouldn’t mind checking out Old Bus and/or Black Sands if you want to meet up. Also due for a revisit to Barrel Head since the last time I went they weren’t actually brewing yet.

I know those are all a little scattered around so there’s also a possibility of doing a pub crawl around the MIssion. Old Bus, Pi Bar, Benders, Southern Pacific, Southpaw BBQ, Monks Kettle, and a few others.

mR_fr0g
beers 29110 º places 44 º 17:24 Tue 11/17/2015

Thanks t0rin0. Yeah pub crawl sounds fun. Since I’m on a UK schedule, I’ll probably have to work 26-27th but I’m sure i can knock off at a reasonable time. More than happy to travel around a bit if that suits you.

Also do you know of any good twitter feeds to follow for finding out about tap takeovers and beer related events in the bay area? Could be useful while im over there.

t0rin0
beers 102 º places 1528 º 18:11 Tue 11/17/2015

I have no idea on who’s covering the area. I’ve always been the type to just check the map here and pick my own destinations. Maybe one of the locals can recommend who to follow.

It’s been a couple years since I’ve looked but I think November is "Belgian beer month" or something like that for 21st Amendment and Magnolia. They do something similar to what they do for Strong Beer Month in February where if you try all 6 of the beers at each location and get the card checked off you get a free glass. Not worth it in terms of dollar value since I think you can just buy the stupid glass but it’s fun to tick em all.

http://21st-amendment.com/assets/BRUSFO_15_1stEdPoster_Back_RGB_v04.jpg

here are the tap lists:
http://21st-amendment.com/the-restaurant/
http://www.magnoliapub.com/ontap.php

The east bay has plenty of good places as well. Drakes, Rare Barrel, Fieldwork, Faction, and some others that I’m forgetting. Personally I think Altamont is making the best beer in the east bay right now but they’re a bit out of the way. If you’re still around Saturday morning I might be able to drive you out there and then back to BART in Dublin before I head to 5 and out of town.

mR_fr0g
beers 29110 º places 44 º 07:46 Sat 11/21/2015

Sitting in Crown Rivers Heathrow Terminal 5. The de facto jumping of point for any serious transatlantic voyage. First beer of the trip is A pretty tasty Oakham Jhb on cask.

mR_fr0g
beers 29110 º places 44 º 14:04 Wed 11/25/2015

Summary so far.
Sunday
Bevmo - picked up a few bottles. I was disappointed that they only sold six packs of smaller bottles, which appears to be commonplace.
City beer store - Had a really good Altamont beer (maui waui)
Cellarmaker - 8 beers here all good to excellent.
Rogue - 4 tasters. Not a huge fan of rogue beers, a bit too sweet for my taste.

Monday
Thirsty bear - sampler tray of 9 house beers. Meh
In n out burger - double double with fries

Tuesday
21st Amendment - taster tray and pizza plus a ’pint’ of Down to earth. Their hoppy stuff was better than there belgian style stuff.

brokensail
admin
beers 21480 º places 1691 º 14:43 Wed 11/25/2015

Not a bad survey so far.

Yeah, 21A’s Belgian-style beers are laughably bad, usually. Both t0rin0 and I used to hit Magnolia and 21A on trips back for Thanksgiving, but I think in the last couple years we’ve both sort of given up on that. I’ve actually just moved back and I’m in the East Bay, but this weekend doesn’t really work out well for me in terms of being able to meet up.

t0rin0
beers 102 º places 1528 º 15:14 Wed 11/25/2015

If you want to do some pub crawling (while maximizing ticks) there are a couple of good possibilities.

*not a brewery

Mission:
Old Bus Tavern
*Pi Bar
*Rosamunde
*Benders
Southern Pacific
Southpaw BBQ
Cervecería de MateVeza
*Monks Kettle

Haight St:
*Toronado
*Noc Noc
Black Sands
Magnolia
Barrel Head
*Alembic
Social Kitchen
this one is a much further distance but the 6 and the 71 bus routes follow Haight so you can keep it under a mile of walking if you’re feeling particularly American.

Near the stadium:
21st Amendment
Thirsty Bear
Black Hammer
Local Brewing
*The Yard (Anchor bar)
**from here jump on the trolley and head down to Dogpatch if you want more punishment
Triple Voodoo
Magnolia Smokestack
Harmonic