Wort Chiller stops boil

Reads 3809 • Replies 13 • Started Thursday, January 31, 2013 7:32:58 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

sharpe1987
beers 8 º 19:32 Thu 1/31/2013

I do five gallon full boil batches and every time I add my immersion wort chiller at around 10 minutes it stops the boil for a good five minutes before it gets going again.

Does anyone else run into this problem?

Does this pose any problems as far as the boil process goes?

Cheers

bitbucket
beers 2166 º places 63 º 21:07 Thu 1/31/2013

Originally posted by sharpe1987
Does anyone else run into this problem?

No. Back in the days when I had an immersion chiller I always put it in right after flameout. It doesn’t take long at boiling temps to sanitize.

Originally posted by sharpe1987
Does this pose any problems as far as the boil process goes?

I seriously doubt it. Five minutes is only a small fraction of your total boil time, and you should still be near boiling temps even if you’re not actually boiling.

StefanSD
beers 2449 º places 57 º 23:05 Fri 2/1/2013

I keep my wort chiller submerged in a bucket of starsan infused filtered water until flame out, then I transfer it to the boil-pot. No problems noted.

wnoble
beers 1251 º 07:08 Sat 2/2/2013

This happened to me also back before I built a counter flow. I think if you could get all the water out of it before dropping it in that your boil wouldn’t stop.

sharpe1987
beers 8 º 11:30 Sat 2/2/2013

Originally posted by wnoble
I think if you could get all the water out of it before dropping it in that your boil wouldn’t stop.

Interesting thought. How might you do that?

temporrari
beers 400 º places 12 º 11:33 Sat 2/2/2013

Do you use a propane burner? When I drop in my chiller it gets back to boiling in a minute or so. I just crank up the heat a minute or two before I put the chiller in.

gunnar
beers 14335 º places 1096 º 12:20 Sat 2/2/2013

I used to have the same problem, now I put the worth chiller in a bucket with almost boiling water 5 minutes before usage, problem solved.

anon84892
beers 3284 º places 21 º 12:29 Sat 2/2/2013

I sanitize my chiller and just stick it in after flameout

Erlangernick
beers 6 º places 2 º 08:04 Sun 2/3/2013

Have never sanitized a wort chiller, have never immersed one before flameout, and have never had an infected batch. Way more important things to worry about than hot-side infection, especially if you haven’t set your chiller down on a pile of dog dirt or something!

502Che
beers 999 º places 47 º 09:14 Sun 2/3/2013

I had no idea people lut their immuraion chillers during the boild. If it kills the boild putting it in, why not throw it in at flame out? Its lowering the temp of the wort just by puttin it in, so thats constructive at flame out, not so much during the boil.

TheBeerSommelier
10:13 Sun 2/3/2013

Originally posted by 502F
I had no idea people lut their immuraion chillers during the boild. If it kills the boild putting it in, why not throw it in at flame out? Its lowering the temp of the wort just by puttin it in, so thats constructive at flame out, not so much during the boil.

Because technically, you should boil something for ~15 minutes to sanitize it. Better safe than sorry, I always say.

I do like the Star San idea, but it’s just that much more work.

OP - don’t sweat it. That 5 mins. won’t hurt anything. RDWHAHB.

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer