Yeast Bay

Reads 795 • Replies 10 • Started Saturday, February 20, 2016 5:06:41 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

t0rin0
beers 102 º places 1529 º 17:06 Sat 2/20/2016

http://www.theyeastbay.com/

Pretty neat stuff. At a local brewery now that is using some of their blends and isolated brets. I guess these guys isolate bugs and then provide some to white labs.

Got me thinking about all the new sources of yeast beyond White Labs and Wyeast. Aside from East Coast Yeast, who all is selling this stuff to the public?

t0rin0
beers 102 º places 1529 º 17:07 Sat 2/20/2016

And no I haven’t added these beers to the database. Will do that tomorrow

VsXsV
beers 5000 º places 92 º 17:10 Sat 2/20/2016

The Yeast Bay has some kind of relation to white labs. We actually started getting their stuff here in Sweden in September or October. Used their amalgamation blend in a sour recently!

bartlebier
beers 4526 º places 177 º 17:12 Sat 2/20/2016

[email protected]"Lochristi" Blend. Aka Proef or laboratory.

CLevar
places 23 º 20:02 Sat 2/20/2016

More suppliers is not a bad thing. I’m loving the new stuff on the market, and can’t help thinking that these new sources have driven the release of some of the "yeast vault" strains from the big producers. Similar to tickers drinking beers, many homebrewers want to explore the diversity of yeast available for brewing.

joeneugs
beers 6371 º places 241 º 20:54 Sat 2/20/2016

I’ve used Giga yeast and Omega. The "Vermont" strain from both. I was happy with both of them. I like that their packages contain basically double the cell count of Wyeast and White Labs.

CLevar
places 23 º 21:03 Sat 2/20/2016

The Vermont strain is awesome.

DA
places 1 º 21:33 Sat 2/20/2016

I’ve also tried strains from Real Brewers Yeast, RVA yeast labs, and Imperial Yeast. There is also a new one, South Yeast labs that is doing some wild yeast isolates.

joeneugs
beers 6371 º places 241 º 21:49 Sat 2/20/2016

Originally posted by DA
I’ve also tried strains from Real Brewers Yeast, RVA yeast labs, and Imperial Yeast. There is also a new one, South Yeast labs that is doing some wild yeast isolates.

Imperial yeast is the one that comes in the can right? I used their Vermont strain, not Omega. Both Giga and Imperial yeasts have been good.

barncatmatt
beers 2287 º places 71 º 06:27 Sun 2/21/2016

Up here in Ontario we’ve got Escarpment Laboratories:

http://www.escarpmentlabs.com/

Its awesome to have a local lab, especially as a start up brewery. They’ve had every strain we’ve asked for and are great to do business with.

HornyDevil
07:52 Sun 2/21/2016

Originally posted by t0rin0
Aside from East Coast Yeast, who all is selling this stuff to the public?

Here’s a decent list (starts about a third down the page)

http://www.milkthefunk.com/wiki/Brettanomyces

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer