Yuengling? Why do they still use green bottles for their lager when that skunks the beer?

Reads 18047 • Replies 40 • Started Monday, June 18, 2012 8:23:19 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

methemfetameen
20:23 Mon 6/18/2012

I never drink any beer out of a green or clear bottle. It always taste skunky. Yuenglings other flavors come in brown bottles but they continue to put their lager flavor beer in a green bottle. I get it in a can or on draft if a available cause the bottled version is green. Whats up with that? Do they even care that theyre destroying their beer by putting in a green bottle?

Oakes
admin
beers 30583 º places 1135 º 20:30 Mon 6/18/2012

Some breweries sell more with a green bottle than good taste. Yuengling is one of those breweries. People who want non-skunky beer look elsewhere.

It’s actually something that annoys me more with people who should know better. While I was impressed to see that a local bodega had a display from a distributor with good stuff like Jai Alai - not usually found in bodegas - all the good stuff was on the top of the display getting a full blast of UV. The distributor, quite frankly, knows that this ruins IPA, and yet they do it anyway. It’s nuts, I tell ya.

xscottypx
beers 104 º 20:43 Mon 6/18/2012

Drink them faster?

javit
20:49 Mon 6/18/2012

Solution: Drink Yuengling in cans.

CharmCityCrab
beers 244 º 20:54 Mon 6/18/2012

Combine that with a lack of any clear bottled on or freshest by date, and it’s a recipe for trouble. I get more "bad" bottles of Yuengling than any other beer. I kind of like the look of the green bottles with the darker beer inside, but with that combo having some way for the customer to date them becomes especially important.

And, in summation, Yuengling put a freaking bottled on date clearly printed (not in code) on your label (not on the bottle where it can smudge off). That’s the A-1 thing that keeps me from buying more Yuengling- the lack of a bottled on or freshest by date. It doesn’t keep me out of the Yuengling market completely, I think I have one bottle in my fridge right now left over from a 6 pack I bought earlier in the month. But I buy a lot less of it than I otherwise would.

BTW, as long as we’re talking green bottles- National Premium has a brown bottle and actually mentions *on the bottle label* that it has a brown label to protect the beer from being damaged by light. Seriously. First beer label I’ve ever seen that explains why it has a brown bottle. I think the Rate Beer crowd would get a kick out of that.

CharmCityCrab
beers 244 º 20:55 Mon 6/18/2012

"brown label" should have been "brown bottle" in my last post, obviously

boxofrane
beers 2559 º places 53 º 08:10 Tue 6/19/2012

Originally posted by javit
Solution: Drink Yuengling in cans.

This.

SphinxTX
beers 2875 º places 41 º 08:19 Tue 6/19/2012

The people that don’t know any better think it is "exotic"...one reason why Corona went with clear bottles when deciding what to use when beer started getting shipped to America.

RABinCO
beers 1511 º places 103 º 08:24 Tue 6/19/2012

So what exactly are you doing with the now two-threads worth of opinions on this topic you’ve got?

(570) 628-4890

Ask them yourself.

If you buy time-sensitive beer without a date or in a non-brown bottle, then you have no one but yourself to blame, IMO.