... This rating is private !

Reads 2255 • Replies 25 • Started Friday, September 15, 2017 6:28:21 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 15:07 Fri 9/15/2017

It seems like a semantic argument to me as well? Ticks are ticks. Some people like a tiny note. They don't care to make them public. We don't want those to influence the score. We can just call private reviews ticks? We can definitely consider a name change.

adamnowek
beers 7151 º places 117 º 18:19 Fri 9/15/2017

Originally posted by TheHOFF43
Allowing private reviews is a really stupid concept.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Reid
beers 3533 º places 95 º 22:08 Fri 9/15/2017

Well thats one explanation.
I hope its OK
At first i thought it was any AB-INBEV beer with a very low rating was now "private"
As the ones i spotted with Elysian Space Dust were all low.

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 22:12 Fri 9/15/2017

Originally posted by Reid
I hope its OK
At first i thought it was any AB-INBEV beer with a very low rating was now "private"

Wow, Reid. Ha ha ha. So sooo far from the truth!
These are just ticks basically. How did we get from ticks to a conspiracy?

I suppose we should just call them ticks?

Reid
beers 3533 º places 95 º 22:34 Fri 9/15/2017

Originally posted by joet
I hope its OK

I am on your side..was just letting things run

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 05:39 Sat 9/16/2017

Originally posted by joet
I hope its OK

I don't really mind what they are called. The important thing, for me at least, is closer integration between the "new ticks" and full ratings than was present with the old tick system, which is essentially totally separate. Full disclosure - as someone with 7500+ ratings and 14,000+ ticks, the existing system doesn't work well. Being able to see at a glance which beers from a brewery I've had would be a big plus - at the moment I have to click through to each individual beer to see whether I've ticked it.

I think the "private" tag is confusing people and giving rise to some misconceptions. I don't really see any reason why they should be "private" - that is, hidden, from view in some areas - but I can see why you wouldn't necessarily want to see a lot of wordless stuff clogging up the beer pages.

It's a shame, in a way, that the word "rating" is so ingrained in RB culture that it is taken to be the full McCoy, with plenty of words. In more general usage, rating something could easily be applied to simply giving it a score, whilst "review" would more likely indicate writing some critique of it. On the other hand to "tick" something tends to indicate simply that you've ticked something off, without necessarily ascribing a score to it. Unfortunately, being a ticker, tends to carry some negative connotations, in the UK beer scene at least, so you might not want that.

I wondered whether the term "score" might work because that's exactly what you are doing by giving a mark to a beer and it can also mean that you have bought/obtained something, albeit (originally?) in a druggy context.

The_Osprey
beers 10591 º places 178 º 06:49 Sat 9/16/2017

How about 'No Review'

More descriptive, and calling it a 'Score' when it doesn't affect the beer's score may be confusing

The_Osprey
beers 10591 º places 178 º 06:51 Sat 9/16/2017

Ps I am not a big fan of this. Feel like it could be a stepping stone to something else, whether currently intended or not

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 08:51 Sat 9/16/2017

Originally posted by The_Osprey
Ps I am not a big fan of this. Feel like it could be a stepping stone to something else, whether currently intended or not

The same could have been said about ticks when they were implemented all those years ago. There's clearly a demand for a way of keeping track of the beers you've tried without writing a detailed review. Some people don't think courting those people is the way RateBeer should be going. But Joe has made it clear that's what he wants and that's the way things will be going. He's hardly likely to ditch the app - the prime purpose of which is to capture that very market - now just because people who weren't very keen on going in that direction in the first place still aren't. I have my reservations too but banging my head against a brick wall just gives me headache, so I've moved on.

I rarely rate beers these days but I do want a way of keeping track of what I've had and, more to the point, being able to see easily which of the beers in front of me I've not tried before. The current sharp divide between ratings and ticks on RateBeer doesn't serve me well in that respect.

Benzai
beers 20020 º places 321 º 11:22 Sat 9/16/2017

I think Joe and Chris' responses mixed together have basically covered this topic. I dislike the ratings which aren't ratings to be private, I want to see what people thought of a beer. So they shouldn't be private. I'm with Chris on the ticks-argument. Being able to have some oversight would improve that feature. Changing the name to "score" would be a good solution, even though I can also see the confusion if those scores don't count for the beerscore. And they shouldn't count for the beer score! So a seperate average score for the beer based on the ticks / scores given being shown alongside the "ratings-average-score" I think would be good for both 'parties'.