AdamJackson - re: your brett beers

Reads 2336 • Replies 25 • Started Wednesday, May 8, 2013 8:31:02 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

CLevar
places 23 º 11:35 Wed 5/8/2013

Originally posted by levifunk
Yea, I’m just guessing. I haven’t tasted it, so IDK.

I know Brett can produce acid (acidic not acetic, right?),

Don’t quite know what you mean here.

HornyDevil
16:54 Wed 5/8/2013

I know Brett can produce acid (acidic not acetic, right?), but it won’t be enough to make a beer noticeably sour, especially not "very sour" as AJ says it is.

If you oxygenate Brett it will definitely make acetic acid. Personally, I found out this by pitching wort onto a Brett yeast cake. The resultant beer wasn’t puckeringly sour, but it definitely had (and still has) an acetic twang to it.

CLevar
places 23 º 17:43 Wed 5/8/2013

Originally posted by HornyDevil

I know Brett can produce acid (acidic not acetic, right?), but it won’t be enough to make a beer noticeably sour, especially not "very sour" as AJ says it is.

If you oxygenate Brett it will definitely make acetic acid. Personally, I found out this by pitching wort onto a Brett yeast cake. The resultant beer wasn’t puckeringly sour, but it definitely had (and still has) an acetic twang to it.

See the link I posted above.

levifunk
beers 12 º 20:46 Wed 5/8/2013

Ah, ok. Didn’t know what type of acid it created, but knew it can create acid in certain environment. AJ said it wasn’t vinegar sour, so doesn’t fit the bill of acetic acid.

t0rin0
beers 102 º places 1528 º 21:18 Wed 5/8/2013

I’ve heard this before but without sending it to the lab how do you know that that vinegar isn’t coming from acetobacter that either got into the fermenter when adding air or was already present but dormant due to lack of O2?

CLevar
places 23 º 21:22 Wed 5/8/2013

Originally posted by t0rin0

I’ve heard this before but without sending it to the lab how do you know that that vinegar isn’t coming from acetobacter that either got into the fermenter when adding air or was already present but dormant due to lack of O2?

From a cell density standpoint, I think it is much more reasonable to assume that the huge cake of brett is making the majority of the acetic acid...while there might be some acetobacter in there (for some beers), I would be surprised if it were to be the dominant bug producing acetic acid.

levifunk
beers 12 º 21:24 Wed 5/8/2013

no guys, he doesn’t taste vinegar at all, so no acetic acid. eliminated brett acid and acetobacter. lacto/pedio are the other options and given the "thickness", i’m still guessing pedio.

muskabeatz
beers 1 º 21:40 Wed 5/8/2013

I would think the viscosity of the first beer is likely a result of sheer lack of attenuation. Could diacetyl also be present as a result? Sure, but just keep in mind that we’re talking about a beer that is still 1.028 after 3 months.

Adam, one thing that I would advise is to make sure that healthy/viable yeast is your top priority when executing your brew day prep. Make a strong starter, and make sure that your wort is sufficiently oxygenated. In my opinion, fermentation is the most critical stage of the entire process, and you can keep yourself on track by making sure you make the yeast’s job as easy (and safe/sanitary) as possible.

HornyDevil
07:46 Thu 5/9/2013

Originally posted by muskabeatz
I would think the viscosity of the first beer is likely a result of sheer lack of attenuation. Could diacetyl also be present as a result? Sure, but just keep in mind that we’re talking about a beer that is still 1.028 after 3 months.

Yeah, high FG plus pedio = THICK sour beer.

Also a 13% saison? WTF? Even with a 20% increase in efficiency, you were looking at a beer that finished around 9%. Not exactly a crisp, refreshing beer.

AdamChandler
beers 6124 º places 278 º 08:18 Thu 5/9/2013

Also a 13% saison? WTF? Even with a 20% increase in efficiency, you were looking at a beer that finished around 9%. Not exactly a crisp, refreshing beer.

Saisj Brett is 8.5 http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/boulevard-smokestack-series--saison-brett/61449/

So I was aiming for around that.

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer