Aging lambics?

Reads 3020 • Replies 11 • Started Saturday, October 12, 2013 4:34:23 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Amfo
beers 20 º places 1 º 16:34 Sat 10/12/2013

So Shelton Brother is back in Washington, and being I’ve heard the hype but never tried any for myself I grabbed a Cantillon Classic Gueze, 3 Fonteinen Oude Geuze Golden Blend, and a 3 Fonteinen Intense Red Oude Kriek. Generally I try to grab at least a couple bottles, try one fresh and then potential age the other(s). But seeing as I’ve never had any of these and was only able to grab one each, I was just looking for some opinions on best practices.

puzzl
beers 3258 º places 138 º 17:37 Sat 10/12/2013

I’ll be aging my Intense Reds for at least 3 years, they are too sweet and fruity right now and kriek ages beautifully.

The Cantillon gets better with age up till at least 5 years, often a lot more. Golden Blend should be fine for a while too, although I don’t consider it a particularly good beer.

Travlr
beers 33916 º places 4600 º 18:21 Sat 10/12/2013

Originally posted by puzzl
I’ll be aging my Intense Reds for at least 3 years, they are too sweet and fruity right now and kriek ages beautifully.

The Cantillon gets better with age up till at least 5 years, often a lot more. Golden Blend should be fine for a while too, although I don’t consider it a particularly good beer.
yeah, I pretty much agree across the board. If I had to choose, I’d age the Intense Red, drink the Cantillon and share the Golden Blend with someone you don’t like that much.

McGrupp612
beers 154 º places 1 º 18:51 Sat 10/12/2013

Golden blend is good to go right now. I like the classic with a few years on it. I enjoyed the intense red fresh, but I tend to like fruit lambics fresh. However, all 3 will age nicely under good storage conditions

HenrikO
beers 49 º places 16 º 22:29 Sat 10/12/2013

Dissenting opinion: Golden Blend is an awesome beer that drinks great right now. LOTs of mineral character, mellow funk and medium tartness.

77ships
beers 14200 º places 925 º 00:33 Sun 10/13/2013

Golden Blend is great to go, I think with aging the differences between a Golden Blend & regular Oude Geuze might become smaller making the extra investment for purchasing one void.

I also thought that aging an Intense Red would make it sour etc. Uli (known for the h.Ertie on here) assured me that this is not going to be the case, I trust his opinion. I would say drink now & enjoy the intense fruit character.

Amfo
beers 20 º places 1 º 18:02 Sun 10/13/2013

Thanks guys. Appreciate all the opinions!

sarro
beers 134 º places 6 º 18:49 Sun 10/13/2013

I need a 3L of Intense Red.

callmemickey
beers 4561 º places 47 º 19:17 Sun 10/13/2013

Since you haven’t had them... drink them now. I don’t see much of a point in aging a beer you have never had. If you like it fresh, you can act accordingly and buy more and then try to age them.

mattyb83
beers 737 º places 20 º 19:55 Sun 10/13/2013

Originally posted by callmemickey
Since you haven’t had them... drink them now. I don’t see much of a point in aging a beer you have never had. If you like it fresh, you can act accordingly and buy more and then try to age them.

I had the same opinion in the past. Now, I say hang onto them. Why not? You’ likely get a chance to drink it fresh before you die.

77ships
beers 14200 º places 925 º 00:46 Mon 10/14/2013

Originally posted by mattyb83
Originally posted by callmemickey

I had the same opinion in the past. Now, I say hang onto them. Why not? You’ likely get a chance to drink it fresh before you die.

No sure how, they are going to make more Intense Red but I am pretty sure that Golden Blend was one-off.