Aging Samichlaus in 3 liter jeroboam

Reads 1748 • Replies 8 • Started Sunday, May 6, 2007 5:36:35 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

AlaskaRoy
17:36 Sun 5/6/2007

Hi, I’m new on this list (just joined today so that I could ask this question).
I have a thing for 3 liter jeroboams and (in addition to my growing collection of 3 l. Stone Brewing Co. goodness that I’m cellaring) I bought a 3 liter Samichlaus lager last Christmas. The odd thing is that there’s more than 5" of "air" above the beer and below the stopper. This is WAY more that I expect, and more than I use when I bottle in jeroboams.
Does anyone else have experience with these 3 liter bottles of Samichlaus from Schloss Eggenbert? Should I "sacrifice" the beer and drink it now (it’s starting to get a bit warmer than "chilly" in my Alaskan cellar) and just be glad that I have the cool bottle for my own homebrew? Or is it fine to age for a few more years with this much potential oxidation?
Thanks in advance.
Roy in Anchorage

Ratman197
beers 24662 º places 200 º 18:31 Sun 5/6/2007

What year is it? I’m doing my best to hit the Alaskan Barleywine Fest next year and would be willing to sacrifice this offering to the beer gods with you!

beastiefan2k
beers 5012 º places 294 º 21:42 Sun 5/6/2007

Originally posted by AlaskaRoy
Hi, I’m new on this list (just joined today so that I could ask this question).
I have a thing for 3 liter jeroboams and (in addition to my growing collection of 3 l. Stone Brewing Co. goodness that I’m cellaring) I bought a 3 liter Samichlaus lager last Christmas. The odd thing is that there’s more than 5" of "air" above the beer and below the stopper. This is WAY more that I expect, and more than I use when I bottle in jeroboams.
Does anyone else have experience with these 3 liter bottles of Samichlaus from Schloss Eggenbert? Should I "sacrifice" the beer and drink it now (it’s starting to get a bit warmer than "chilly" in my Alaskan cellar) and just be glad that I have the cool bottle for my own homebrew? Or is it fine to age for a few more years with this much potential oxidation?
Thanks in advance.
Roy in Anchorage

I would not worry about that beer at all. I bet it could sit around for 50 years, at least. The ratio of O2 to beer is still very small.

Crit
beers 5014 º places 159 º 21:55 Sun 5/6/2007

With the alcohol content it should be fine as far as oxidation, however the carbonation may suffer slightly.

wildaho
21:56 Sun 5/6/2007

I absolutely love Samichlaus; especially with several years on it. I have bottles going back to ’95 waiting to be tapped.

I resisted the temptation to buy the 3L this year even though I can get it at wholesale. Yes, bulk aging can introduce flavors that you can’t get in a a 12oz but look at how much that difference is worth to you.

Here’s the deal (and this goes for the Stone too). There is an economy of scale here that seems to work inversely with 3L bottles. I’m sure the glass itself is expensive but how can the price of the bottle more than double the price of the beer?

Example: (and I’ll use actual prices here that I have to deal with in my store) My brewing buddy and I both love Sami, A LOT! I had the chance to get him a 3L for his birthday and I thought it would be the perfect gift. Just think of the bragging rights if nothing else!

Then reality set in. My wholesale cost on that 3L bottle of Sami was $75.00. Normal retail (with my standard markup) would be $101.00. He’s a very good friend, and I know he would appreciate it but... A case of 24 bottles at 11.2 oz only costs me $83.00 (or $112.00 retail).

Hmmm. A 3L bottle (102oz) for $75.00 vs. a case (268oz) for $83.00? $0.73/oz vs. $0.30/oz. Remember, these are wholesale prices, not retail. It gets even uglier when you figure in markup. Somehow, I don’t think that the glass alone is worth $43.00 ($58.00 retail).

Guess which one my buddy got for his birthday!

The Stone Jereboams weren’t quite as extreme but the same inverse economy still applies.

So. If you like bragging rights, and can find the proper occasion to crack open 102oz of 14% beer, go for it! Myself, I’d rather do it 11.2oz at a time so I don’t puke on my shoes (or yours).

And, back to your original question, the gaskets are good for at least 5 years if you don’t crack it before then. The airspace is fine. But it definitely won’t last the 10 or 12 years that a Sami deserves before cracking.

JCapriotti
beers 1379 º places 67 º 22:00 Sun 5/6/2007

I can’t answer this question, but I just have to comment that I wish I would have tried Samichlaus before last week. Now I have to start building my vintage collection a couple years later than I would have liked....

wildaho
22:13 Sun 5/6/2007

Originally posted by JCapriotti
I can’t answer this question, but I just have to comment that I wish I would have tried Samichlaus before last week. Now I have to start building my vintage collection a couple years later than I would have liked....

This is one that ages better than most. The ’94 I had in march of last year was infuckingcredible. It starts off like cognac and just gets smoother and creamier every year. I worried a lot when Eggenberger took over the brewing in 2000 from Hurlimann but they’ve kept the rendition real. At least as far as I can tell. Haven’t had a ten year old Eggenberg yet (it’s on ice though, just waiting for 2010 to crack it).

beastiefan2k
beers 5012 º places 294 º 22:18 Sun 5/6/2007

thats right I forgot about the flip top. I have heard that number before, 5 years, anyone know why flip tops are good for 5 years only? Must have something to do with the rubber.

wildaho
00:53 Mon 5/7/2007

Originally posted by beastiefan2k
thats right I forgot about the flip top. I have heard that number before, 5 years, anyone know why flip tops are good for 5 years only? Must have something to do with the rubber.

Yep. The rubber starts to break down and let in the dreaded O2. I’ve seen it happen... Granted, those sherry/oxidized notes can work in some beers but I don’t think that Sami is one of them. Stone? maybe...