Any decent beer in the caribbean?

Reads 2094 • Replies 20 • Started Monday, February 10, 2014 8:02:36 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

vantvat
05:25 Tue 2/11/2014

Thanks guys - looks like Aruba has something to offer. Now, bonus points if any of these places are located on the beach!

GT
beers 10001 º places 672 º 05:42 Tue 2/11/2014

Use the ratebeer places function as well to do some of your own research. Just hit the places tab and then click the countries out of the list at the bottom.

Aruba has some good beer I guess but was pretty touristy for my blood.

AndrewC
beers 407 º places 1 º 13:41 Sun 2/23/2014

http://www.ratebeer.com/brewers/dockyard-brewing-company/11808/
The Black Anchor Porter and the Trunk Island Pale were very good I thought

Oakes
admin
beers 30703 º places 1135 º 21:30 Sun 2/23/2014

Originally posted by BlackHaddock
http://www.plantationbrewinghouse.com/brewery.htm

Same plaice?

<*))))))><

Yup.

The space, as you can see, is gorgeous. The beer was awful when I visited though. But that was five years ago. The key is that when you set up a brewpub you have to actually hire a professional brewer. These guys didn’t do that, and I’m not surprised it’s up for sale.

But it’s in a touristy area, so I could see potential there if they only took their brewery and kitchen more seriously.

BlackHaddock
beers 15522 º places 1056 º 04:26 Mon 2/24/2014

Originally posted by Oakes
Originally posted by BlackHaddock
http://www.plantationbrewinghouse.com/brewery.htm

Same plaice?

<*))))))><

Yup.

The space, as you can see, is gorgeous. The beer was awful when I visited though. But that was five years ago. The key is that when you set up a brewpub you have to actually hire a professional brewer. These guys didn’t do that, and I’m not surprised it’s up for sale.

But it’s in a touristy area, so I could see potential there if they only took their brewery and kitchen more seriously.

I’m on the island for a day soon and intended seeking it out: glad I discovered it’s now closed. I’ll just have to lay on a beach instead now. My cruise ship hasn’t done me any favours with the ports of call to be honest, although there is a brewpub in ’Puerto Vallarta’ which is our first stop after San Diego.

<*))))))><

boto
beers 2444 º places 104 º 04:35 Mon 2/24/2014

Originally posted by Cliff
If you’re going to the Caribbean, drink rum. I lived in the Virgin Islands for 2 years and travelled extensively down island (lesser Antilles) and what is stated above is pretty accurate. Lots of macro lager, FES here and there, but dirt cheap and delicious rum EVERYWHERE!
Agreed! I never was a rum drinker until I went to St. Croix back around 1978. Not only was the local rum (Cruzan) cheap (no taxes on it: $0.99 for a fifth in the food store at the time) but it was excellent.

weihenweizen
beers 6991 º places 700 º 07:03 Mon 2/24/2014

Aruba is touristy and not cheap, but if really liked it. Palm Beach is beautiful, lots of good restaurants to choose from, baby beach is nice also. None of those places is right on the beach, but the Belgian place is walking distance. I really enjoyed Aruba, however my wife prefers Cancun.

capricho4
beers 18 º places 2 º 09:59 Mon 3/3/2014

I just got back from St. Maarten. Guiness FES was $2.50 a bottle in the supermarket

rennat42
beers 5366 º places 205 º 10:56 Mon 3/3/2014

When in the caribbean I drink only rum. So much good stuff, and not worth searching high and low for quality beer if I am supposed to be on a vacation. I figure sometimes I need a vacation from beer as well and what better a vacation for my taste buds than good rum!

bottleforager
beers 3211 º places 63 º 17:09 Mon 3/3/2014

Find these guys... they seem to know about finding good suds on the islands !