Are Brewers "cheating" by just dumping lactic acid in?

Reads 7041 • Replies 84 • Started Monday, May 18, 2015 7:10:24 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

cheap
beers 8856 º places 328 º 17:27 Thu 6/4/2015

Originally posted by MacBoost
Do you feel like a brewer is "cheating" if they simply dump lactic acid into the beer instead of producing lactic acid by way of bacteria?

At a local brewpub, I’ve seen the brewer add drops of LA to the pint just before he gave it to you.

SamGamgee
beers 2452 º places 182 º 23:13 Thu 6/4/2015

Originally posted by EithCubes
Questions for those who like pickles:

Do you refuse to buy pickles from the store, or think commercial pickle producers are cheating by just dumping in vinegar?

I think there is a style argument that can be made, but I only buy naturally fermented pickles and think that they are not only better for you and taste better, but are just a more respectable product. Same as I feel about sour beer I guess.

I would guess that most people don’t even think that much about pickles, just like beer. Fermented foods are some of the best things that humans have ever come up with and I have a lot of respect for the ancient tradition of this stuff. Some things obviously change for the better, but cutting out the essence of what a fermented food is all about is not a good step forward.

CanIHave4Beers
beers 4373 º places 76 º 00:26 Fri 6/5/2015

The pickle thing has some limitations with regards to comparison here. In a number of cultures pickles have been traditionally produced via a vinegar soak, most of the pickled vegetables we eat are indicative of European traditions, which by in large were brined and fermented products.
But it’s disingenuous to say that traditional pickling does not involve vinegar soaking.

ganache
beers 6773 º places 282 º 12:40 Fri 6/5/2015

Vinegar-infusion has become tradition in places where it wasn’t original (and due respect to those areas, but their traditions aren’t applicable to the particular argument I’m about to make). I’d wager a large percentage of Americans, in particular, have never tasted a lacto-fermented cucumber and just don’t know what they’re missing -- their mental picture is a glass jar of Vlasic on a store shelf and not a covered vat in the corner deli or grandpa’s basement.

I more or less agree with you, Sam. Taking the long way produces a superior product on a number of fronts, process does matter, and most consumers don’t stop to consider the difference, even if they’re aware of it.

That’s not to say that vinegar-only pickles or lactic-spiked beers are unambiguously bad or even neutral; we can have both. For sour beers, some consumers might just want to reach for something cheap and tart (or occasionally puckering) for a quench or to feed their acid fix, and others will pay more for fireside depth and complexity.

To the OP’s point, I’d only consider non-biological souring to be "cheating" if the deviation from tradition is concealed, i.e., don’t bring a beer from grain to glass in two months and call it Lambic or Flemish Red ("Sour Ale", or better yet, "Soured Ale" would be fine). Use of acid for aesthetic purposes is in itself entirely acceptable (just my opinion), and for the purpose of pH adjustment is and has long been widely-accepted in the industry.