Arrogant Bastard Clone. . . Sort of

Reads 3312 • Replies 29 • Started Tuesday, November 13, 2012 8:42:55 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Quasimodo
beers 217 º 06:01 Fri 11/16/2012

I’m curious to know how to brew with a pound of Special B and produce a beer that doesn’t taste like raisin. Short mash? Short steep? Magic?

tronraner
beers 2459 º places 109 º 07:20 Fri 11/16/2012

Originally posted by Quasimodo
I’m curious to know how to brew with a pound of Special B and produce a beer that doesn’t taste like raisin. Short mash? Short steep? Magic?

Cover it up with hops.

bitbucket
beers 2166 º places 63 º 13:42 Fri 11/16/2012

Originally posted by tronraner

Cover it up with hops.

This.
100+ IBUs will cover a lot.

Cobra
beers 1100 º places 24 º 00:25 Sat 11/17/2012

OK, I was wrong. The actual recipe was printed in BYO magazine some time back.

bitbucket
beers 2166 º places 63 º 18:48 Sat 11/17/2012

Originally posted by Cobra
OK, I was wrong. The actual recipe was printed in BYO magazine some time back.

That’s nearly useful information.

SamGamgee
beers 2452 º places 182 º 14:49 Sun 11/18/2012

Now that I think about it more, old Arrogant Bastard (when the hops fall off) does taste like raisin. It’s not good.

SamGamgee
beers 2452 º places 182 º 14:55 Sun 11/18/2012

Special b is a fully glassy caramel/crystal malt with low fermentability. You simply can’t make a normal beer with it as it’s not even close to a base malt. It’s already converted during the malting process (the stewing step during caramel malt production) so the lack of any enzymes isn’t really the issue, but you’d get a very thick, sticky mash that probably wouldn’t even lauter, and a crazy-sweet, dark, nasty tasting wort that would only ferment a couple of points.

If you still want to give it a shot, I’m open to hearing how close my prediction comes.

stumpyiliz
beers 218 º places 7 º 18:21 Sun 11/18/2012

I would use a varying temp schedule in your mash to get the dryer, less fruity aspects of the special B.

lithy
beers 2996 º places 156 º 18:39 Sun 11/18/2012

ISO: SMASH Special B/Chinook homebrew. First bottled delivered to me that doesn’t make me vomit gets 100 bucks.

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer