Bad beer - what do you do?

Reads 3166 • Replies 34 • Started Wednesday, July 30, 2014 4:29:01 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

EdKing
beers 3662 º places 307 º 04:29 Wed 7/30/2014

So I visited a pub yesterday, which will remain unnamed, other than it’s run by a decent London brewery. First time for me to visit, but I know the beers well and their other pubs.

I walked in and asked what was fresh on that day. To which I received the following curt reply from the young guy behind the bar: ’We’re a central London pub mate. We turn over a lot of beer, so all our beers are fresh all of the time.’ (note that most of the beer on sale is kegged macro lager)

I wasn’t questioning the pub or brewery, I was asking a specific question about what was freshest. I bought a beer which was in great condition and advised my mate to try one of the others, which I have drunk several times before.

We went and sat down and my mate turned his nose up at the beer. He not being very experienced, I thought it might have been too hoppy for him, but when I smelt and tasted it, it had a distinctive smell and taste of brown malt vinegar.

I took it straight back to the bar and said the ’condition was bad’, at which point I was accused of ’not knowing what I’m taking about’. He smelt the beer and said there was nothing wrong with it (he didn’t taste it). When I said it smells and tastes of malt vinegar (it was a single hop cask ale) he again said I didn’t know what I was talking about and asked if I was a brewer? He then pointed me to a couple of people sitting in the pub and told me they worked at the brewery and informed me that every beer in the pub was in perfect condition otherwise they would not be there.

It put me on the spot and I was tempted to take the rope and hang him with it, and go and ask them about the poor condition of the beer. Instead of which I bit my tongue, handed the beer back and bought another one for my mate.

Feeling irritated by it now and wishing I had not backed down. Was also conscious of being a Ratebeerian and not wanting to make a fuss at a pub and brewery where I am familiar with some of the brewers

Curious to know what others would have done in this situation.

BlackHaddock
beers 15456 º places 1053 º 04:35 Wed 7/30/2014

Stood my ground Ed: always do (well mostly).

If I know the beer and how it should taste obviously makes a difference, but with so many new beers around it is difficult to be sure if it’s off or should taste ’musty’, ’iffy’, ’vinegarous’ (made that word up, but it should be a word) or ’different’.

<*))))))><

imdownthepub
beers 26058 º places 2105 º 04:40 Wed 7/30/2014

Definitely ask for a replacement as beer is so expensive these days that it is basically robbery serving poor beer. If an argument starts up, I have been known to stand my ground, although it can be difficult in pubs where you are not known.
It certainly is a situation that you are not looking for and could do without.
I would also hammer them on social media, like this site, if they argue.

Travlr
beers 33894 º places 4585 º 04:53 Wed 7/30/2014

The customer is always right. Doesn’t matter if the beer was actually off or not - if you thought it was, you should get a replacement or a refund. I would talk to management if the barstaff isn’t that much into customer service.

Theydon_Bois
admin
beers 40515 º places 1239 º 05:00 Wed 7/30/2014

I’d have ripped his cock and bollocks off with my bare hands and stuffed them down his throat !

Fin
beers 17272 º places 1653 º 05:08 Wed 7/30/2014

Originally posted by Theydon_Bois
I’d have ripped his cock and bollocks off with my bare hands and stuffed them down his throat !

Yesss...right answer Colin, and then dose the gaping unsightly wound in a generous amount of malt vinegar just to really rub it in and drive home the message, yes that’ll have him, he’ll not make that mistake again, "Now you curt young man, please could you change this beer, I know that you can’t talk and you have a wound to attend to, just nod in agreement, replace beer and we’ll all be happy"

Phil
beers 181 º places 34 º 05:17 Wed 7/30/2014

if you get no joy from them, the bar person, and it’s a serious business, take details and contact the owners/brewery

no shame in that, and that person is exactly what/who the beer indy doesn’t need.

I believe you’re within your customer rights and as a beer drinker to know what’s wrong when it is. And, any business owner worth their salt would take your commments to heart, and do something about it.

Leighton
beers 33722 º places 1204 º 05:33 Wed 7/30/2014

If the guy behind the bar is giving YOU a hard time, that’s messed up. As long as you aren’t being unreasonable/aggressive/violent/etc., he should take your comments on board and replace your beer, no questions asked.

You should have definitely asked the brewer what was up/ told him the barman is an ass.

And which pub was this? I don’t see any harm in telling your old RateBeer buddies. It’s not like any of us is going to march over to the pub to beat up the barman - except maybe Colin, who seems game.

SarkyNorthener
beers 5200 º places 142 º 06:29 Wed 7/30/2014

I would probably have asked him for a dance outside.

Fortunately I havd never come across this sort of cocky arrogance from bar staff.

EdKing
beers 3662 º places 307 º 07:18 Wed 7/30/2014

Originally posted by Fin

Yesss...right answer Colin, and then dose the gaping unsightly wound in a generous amount of malt vinegar just to really rub it in and drive home the message, yes that’ll have him, he’ll not make that mistake again, "Now you curt young man, please could you change this beer, I know that you can’t talk and you have a wound to attend to, just nod in agreement, replace beer and we’ll all be happy"

I have just been sat at my desk nearly crying with laughter at these two replies. Next time I’m going in with Colin.

SarkyNorthener
beers 5200 º places 142 º 07:22 Wed 7/30/2014

Originally posted by EdKing
Originally posted by Fin

I have just been sat at my desk nearly crying with laughter at these two replies. Next time I’m going in with Colin.

It would certainly have taken all that spunkiness out of him.