Beer and Pizza

Reads 2538 • Replies 22 • Started Thursday, January 12, 2012 12:42:39 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

TAR
beers 2821 º places 34 º 21:15 Thu 1/12/2012

Originally posted by gopher
If you’re Mid Atlantic, try the EVO ESB.

You caught a fish.

reggiedunlop
beers 3729 º places 182 º 21:15 Sat 1/14/2012

Lots of good ideas here. I like voodoo pilzilla with pizza.

MacBoost
beers 2074 º places 37 º 05:32 Sun 1/15/2012

High Gravity Malt Liquor

notalush
beers 7130 º places 452 º 07:53 Sun 1/15/2012

The consensus here seems to be to go for lighter, drier, lower gravity, and I would tend to agree; those are the styles that go quite well with pizza. Pilsner, kolsch, wheat, saison, Belgian ale (abbey single)...all are great with pizza. As 3fourths states, do something to set yourself apart from other bars and restaurants. Depending on your location, it might be very easy for you to showcase a lot of different local product. I can’t tell you how frustrating it is to walk into a bar in a state like CO and see nothing but Odell, Avery, Oskar Blues and New Belgium on tap. Really? More and more smaller breweries opening around here everyday and all you do is showcase the big four that have been around forever? Show your customers that you are not only serious about beer, but that you are also serious about providing product that is fresh, locally produced, etc.

fidelis83
beers 3790 º places 16 º 05:00 Sat 1/21/2012

Aecht Schlenkerla Helles Lagerbier

BelgBeerGeek
beers 1307 º places 38 º 05:09 Sat 1/21/2012

i would say a good but not too expensive blond ale ... between 5% and 8% ABV ...
Pizza has allot of flavour and if you then put up an amazing / extreme brew against it , it kinda destroyes the actuall aesome flavour of the beer , and i think that’s a pitty for the beer itself ...
I myself actually don’t drink beer with pizza but if do i like a more hoppy blond ale or ipa ...

AcctError62185
places 1 º 05:29 Sat 1/21/2012

Pizza is hardly a homogenuous food item, the beer that suits one pie could be totally wrong for one with different flavors. I like dead guy ale with a hand tossed veggie pizza, I think you need to specify the pizza before suggesting a specific beer

Mortlach
beers 4782 º places 10 º 06:48 Sat 1/21/2012

FishBizkit
beers 234 º places 6 º 16:13 Thu 2/2/2012

For pizza, any pale, pils, ale, etc goes well. You may also want to consider working some specialty beers in with specific doughs. The beer yeast, pizza yeast flavor paring is a natural. How about something like a raspberry wheat in the dough paired with duck, basil, pineapple, red pepper pizza. Or a nice herby walt wit in the dough of a goat cheese & roasted pepper pizza. Those are a bit "specialty", but I’m sure you get the idea.

MacBoost
beers 2074 º places 37 º 16:34 Thu 2/2/2012

Originally posted by Tibeerious
Pizza is hardly a homogenuous food item, the beer that suits one pie could be totally wrong for one with different flavors. I like dead guy ale with a hand tossed veggie pizza, I think you need to specify the pizza before suggesting a specific beer

How can anyone believe your opinion on beer? You’ve never posted a beer review in your life. Go hang out somewhere else.