Beer maturation - how to rate?

Reads 2094 • Replies 25 • Started Thursday, July 24, 2014 11:17:39 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

radagast83
beers 12478 º places 436 º 09:40 Fri 7/25/2014

Originally posted by Frank
Originally posted by keanex
So you rate beers that have best buy or bottled on dates that are clearly old?

Well, I normally don’t buy ones that are clearly marked as expired or I can otherwise tell they are old but, yes, I still rate them if I end up with one. It is the brewery’s name that is on the label. If their bottles are sitting on shelves too long, it reflects poorly on them and that is their problem. If they are willing to let the beer get to me in that condition, I am more than happy to rate it in that condition.
I don’t think sticking it to the brewery because a clearly past-its-prime beer pulled from the back of a dusty shelf or pulled from the out-of-season discount bin is necessarily fair. Especially since most don’t have direct control over their product the moment it leaves their warehouse to the distributor.

Want to fix the problem?
1) Tell the store that you bought an old bottle or that the beer was off in some way. You don’t even have to ask or even want a refund, but telling them that some IPA was dusty or a lager was horribly light struck might cause them to get in contact with their distributor. I have a friend who worked at a beer/wine store and for a distributor and they’d often have to pull and/or exchange bad beer - partly to just keep everyone happy. bad beer = angry customers = less sales. If they don’t do anything and the problem continues to persist, you’re better off reviewing the place low, to "warn" potential customers that the place doesn’t keep a good inventory.
2) Contact the brewery (or the brewery rep for that state/region, should they have one) directly and tell them where you got an old bottle. They might be able to work from the other end of things to ensure that fresh beer makes it out.

We should not act like passive aggressive Yelp reviewers who decided to take their gripe online instead of to the management when they were there. A bad review from on Yelp can kill a business, but I think most brewers don’t even look at RB (or other beer sites) so any "helpful" criticism will be totally lost on everyone except other users.

I have definitely passed up on rating a number of beers at tastings that were of the "hey, this bottle has been sitting at home for a while, but I figured we’d see how it developed" - which developed into a complete mess.

Frank
beers 4564 º places 92 º 09:45 Fri 7/25/2014

It is short sighted on the part of the brewery to expand beyond the point where they can ensure a fresh product reaches consumers. Bottled on dates are more of a BandAid for a larger problem which is brewers are distributing far and wide to fill craft brew vaccuums that are ceasing to exist. Will Stone be able to sustain their level of production when each of their largest markets has their own New Glarus producing great fresh beer locally? My guess is no. Maybe I am wrong.

keanex
beers 1802 º places 65 º 09:47 Fri 7/25/2014

Originally posted by blipp
No, because I don’t buy them.
How are they coming into your possession then? If you’re not buying them then you do not know why the bottle is old. It could have been fault of whoever you acquired it from to begin with, not the brewery or store’s fault.

The fact is, I work in a retail store and we recently pulled a LOT of old beer. I can assure you that it’s not even close to being the brewery’s fault in a lot of cases.

blipp
beers 14908 º places 219 º 10:34 Fri 7/25/2014

Originally posted by keanex
Originally posted by blipp
No, because I don’t buy them.
How are they coming into your possession then? If you’re not buying them then you do not know why the bottle is old. It could have been fault of whoever you acquired it from to begin with, not the brewery or store’s fault.

The fact is, I work in a retail store and we recently pulled a LOT of old beer. I can assure you that it’s not even close to being the brewery’s fault in a lot of cases.

I’m talking about beers that are not labelled and that are clearly out-of-date upon consumption. If there’s no best-by date, then I rate away. It’s as much the brewery’s fault for not alerting the consumer as it is the store’s fault for not pulling the product. Again, any joe-6-pack is just as likely as I am to walk into a store and buy the old product. The reviews on the site should reflect the totality of experiences that an average consumer should expect to encounter with any given beer. If a consumer is likely to buy out-of-date beer, the reviews should reflect that. Let’s say 50% of people end up purchasing an IPA when it’s old. Why should the reviews reflect only the "peak" of the beer, when clearly that’s not what most people are getting when the purchase it?

If bottles are dated, I won’t rate something that is out-of-date, because the brewer has done all they reasonably could have done to prevent old product from being purchased.

In conclusion: It’s a reasonable request to have a "best-by" date on bottles. If a best-by date is not clearly indicated, and you end up with old product, then rate away.

keanex
beers 1802 º places 65 º 11:39 Fri 7/25/2014

I agree with that. If it’s undated I will rate away also.