Belgian White

Reads 1401 • Replies 20 • Started Tuesday, December 31, 2013 10:06:59 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

t0rin0
beers 102 º places 1528 º 16:12 Sat 1/11/2014

Finally got the grain mill finished and working. Going to buy a bag of raw wheat from the grocery store tomorrow (screw paying $2/lb for flaked at More Beer) and give this a try next weekend.

I found coriander in both seed and powder form at the store today. I went with powder since I dont have a grinder for the seeds. Two questions

1) whats the conversion between seeds and powder?
2) can I run the seeds through the grain mill?

pellegjr
beers 396 º places 16 º 17:19 Sat 1/11/2014

Originally posted by t0rin0
Originally posted by robrules
Avoid the vegetal round coriander and use the fruitier oblong kind.

Care to elaborate? I know very little about coriander other than it can overpower a beer easily.

The oblong variety is Indian coriander, and it is indeed superior.

Mosher advocates an excruciating step mash procedure for witbier in Radical Brewing, emphasizing that it is a necessary practice in obtaining the rich milkshake texture present in the best examples of the style.

I have not done this myself, so dissenting opinions welcome.

SamGamgee
beers 2452 º places 182 º 22:17 Sat 1/11/2014

Originally posted by t0rin0
Finally got the grain mill finished and working. Going to buy a bag of raw wheat from the grocery store tomorrow (screw paying $2/lb for flaked at More Beer) and give this a try next weekend.

I found coriander in both seed and powder form at the store today. I went with powder since I dont have a grinder for the seeds. Two questions

1) whats the conversion between seeds and powder?
2) can I run the seeds through the grain mill?

Two things here:

First, you are going to have to do a cereal mash for the raw wheat, because it hasn’t been gelatinized like flaked or terrified wheat. Without a cereal mash, the malt enzymes will not have access to the starches in the wheat for conversion to sugar.

Second, powder will probably be about equal as it should give a better extraction, but will probably be more oxidized and less potent than grinding fresh. I’ve always bought indian coriander at the LHBS and crushed it with a rolling pin on brew day. No grinder needed. Just get a coarse crush and you should be good. I like to stick that and my citrus peels in a hop back and steep it for a few minutes at the end of the boil. This, as with any style, is one that I like with just enough spice character to tell that you used it, but no more.

TirpChirp
beers 17 º 11:00 Tue 4/8/2014

NEVER!

Originally posted by HornyDevil
Avoid putting an orange slice on your glass when drinking it.

bitbucket
beers 2166 º places 63 º 19:21 Tue 4/8/2014

Originally posted by HornyDevil
Avoid putting an orange slice on your glass when drinking it.

Parking a slice of citrus (orange, lemon, whatever) on the rim of a beer glass tells me you have something to hide. Save that for well drinks.

keanex
beers 1802 º places 65 º 20:06 Tue 4/8/2014

Witbiers are pretty cut and dry 50/50 pil/wheat with rice hulls (if all-grain). A bit of coriander and orange peel in the last few minutes. IBUs around 15-20.

For the yeast just use whatever witbier yeast from Wyeast or Whitelabs.

I would be more specific, but brewtoad isn’t loading.

HornyDevil
05:21 Wed 4/9/2014

Originally posted by keanex
Witbiers are pretty cut and dry 50/50 pil/wheat with rice hulls (if all-grain). A bit of coriander and orange peel in the last few minutes. IBUs around 15-20. For the yeast just use whatever witbier yeast from Wyeast or Whitelabs.

Thanks for the explanation of what a witbier is. We were all wondering.

When’s the last time you brewed one?

keanex
beers 1802 º places 65 º 06:06 Wed 4/9/2014

About 4 months ago, thanks for asking.

HornyDevil
06:10 Wed 4/9/2014

Originally posted by keanex
About 4 months ago, thanks for asking.

Care to post a recipe? I’m wondering what specific scientific measurement corresponds to "a bit".

keanex
beers 1802 º places 65 º 06:13 Wed 4/9/2014

Yeah, I can now since Brewtoad is working: https://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/ava

Coriander seeds were fresh and freshly cracked with a rolling pin.

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer