Best Bars Tokyo/Yokohama edition - your votes please

Reads 2404 • Replies 40 • Started Monday, March 21, 2016 9:32:17 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

shoulderbroken
beers 4258 º places 393 º 20:35 Thu 3/24/2016

I have to agree with Tim about the overcharging. It’s happened pretty much every time we’ve been there. I understand as it’s a little hectic. It doesn’t stop me going there (not sure exactly what does as I haven’t been in ages), but we always check carefully now.

TimE
beers 8459 º places 409 º 01:49 Fri 3/25/2016

Originally posted by KyotoLefty
Never been over charged at Popeye.
All about the beer?really, Tim?
Who else has pristine 2007 Hurricane?

Good point. What they are doing is in fact illegal. I am about with beer with bars that don’t engage in criminal acts against customers - so that is my new standard.
As Niel mentioned, it’s not a one off. I know Rob S was going to take them off Tokyo Food Page for this reason. Should there be Consisting chattering about fair bills then I would happily add them.

Tim

KyotoLefty
beers 15093 º places 1059 º 03:58 Fri 3/25/2016

Originally posted by TimE
Originally posted by KyotoLefty
Never been over charged at Popeye.
All about the beer?really, Tim?
Who else has pristine 2007 Hurricane?

Good point. What they are doing is in fact illegal. I am about with beer with bars that don’t engage in criminal acts against customers - so that is my new standard.
As Niel mentioned, it’s not a one off. I know Rob S was going to take them off Tokyo Food Page for this reason. Should there be Consisting chattering about fair bills then I would happily add them.

Tim

Damn, that’s crazy. I don’t think it ever happened to me, but I always sit at the counter and almost always go alone.

shoulderbroken
beers 4258 º places 393 º 07:29 Sat 3/26/2016

Tim, I guess for the purpose of the rankings we should treat the CBMs as separate entities, so can you clarify what you want me to do with your number 4 vote and what implications this might have for the places in positions 5-10. Sorry to be picky, but I certainly feel that the different branches have very different appeals in spite of them being in the same group.

TimE
beers 8459 º places 409 º 19:03 Sun 3/27/2016

Originally posted by shoulderbroken
Tim, I guess for the purpose of the rankings we should treat the CBMs as separate entities, so can you clarify what you want me to do with your number 4 vote and what implications this might have for the places in positions 5-10. Sorry to be picky, but I certainly feel that the different branches have very different appeals in spite of them being in the same group.

Funny you asked me about CBM, but not DC!

CBM Jimbocho

DC Hamamatsucho.

shoulderbroken
beers 4258 º places 393 º 20:20 Sun 3/27/2016

Oh yeah! I completely didn’t spot that. Guess because I only go to DC in Hamamatsucho. Thanks for the clarifications. I really should do my list I guess. Was hoping to try Craft and Romance before I did though, but not sure that’s going to happen too soon so should just get on with it.

willisread
beers 7331 º places 126 º 10:01 Tue 3/29/2016

Neil,

Sorry for delay. Things are hectic at work this week. Hopefully before the weekend!

Will

sersdf
beers 1038 º places 35 º 00:01 Mon 4/4/2016

Were the votes ever tallied? As a Chicagoan flying in Tuesday for a 60-hour jaunt, I was hoping to use this list as a guide. Otherwise I’ll prob just default to Popeye... and hope they don’t overcharge me apparently

TimE
beers 8459 º places 409 º 01:50 Mon 4/4/2016

Originally posted by sersdf
Were the votes ever tallied? As a Chicagoan flying in Tuesday for a 60-hour jaunt, I was hoping to use this list as a guide. Otherwise I’ll prob just default to Popeye... and hope they don’t overcharge me apparently

Good luck on not being overcharged, but if you don’t really care what you are paying and just here for a short time period, then go to Popeyes. They will have beer you wont get to try anywhere else, though they seem to deal with a limited number of Japanese breweries. I had a look at the menu today, for example, and there are so many beer that some of them are bound to be good, but there is a ton of mediocre stuff. Make sure you look up beer before ordering.

Otherwise for Japanese beers, I think most of us would at least agree that Wiz is probably a good choice, especially if you want good food too and its nice outside (decent patio), otherwise, despite the smoking probably Ant n Bee is a great option with tons of rare/top quality Japanese beers. I’d probably go with Ant. The staff are good at directing towards good stuff and you can order small sizes. Not cheap though. Also in Roppongi is the new Fujizakura Taproom, so you can grab some fantastic beers there too - again not cheap.

Tim

sersdf
beers 1038 º places 35 º 06:11 Mon 4/4/2016

Nice, thanks Tim! Seems like my best bet is to either do Wiz/Craftsman/Popeye area (30 min walk between them no problem) and or do Roppongi (like an idiot I did Brewdog my last visit then realized it’s a Scottish brewpub with no Japanese character at all). Probably will try to do both, knowing me. One Weds eve and the other Tues night or Thurs afternoon. Super helpful!