Best beers to harvest yeast from

Reads 9787 • Replies 17 • Started Tuesday, January 8, 2013 6:34:36 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

502Che
beers 999 º places 47 º 08:49 Wed 1/9/2013

I remember when SNPA was bottle conditioned...

cheap
beers 8885 º places 328 º 11:12 Wed 1/9/2013

I see the most knowledgable beer brewers saving bottom of the bottle stuff at our tastings.

SamGamgee
beers 2452 º places 182 º 15:40 Wed 1/9/2013

Originally posted by 502F
I remember when SNPA was bottle conditioned...

Still is. They’re just really good at controlling the amount of yeast in the bottle to there is only the minimal amount needed and it’s barely noticeable.

InvalidStout
15:57 Wed 1/9/2013

Originally posted by bitbucket
Originally posted by DA
what kind of yeast do you want?

And why do you want to do this in the first place? Most of the useful yeast strains are available from your local homebrew store, and it’s less work to buy them than to propagate them from the little bit left in a bottle.

A bottle of beer is a fraction of the price of liquid yeast, and you get free beer. Propagating it from a bottle isn’t any harder than making a starter.

HornyDevil
17:01 Wed 1/9/2013

Originally posted by InvalidStout
Originally posted by DA

And why do you want to do this in the first place? Most of the useful yeast strains are available from your local homebrew store, and it’s less work to buy them than to propagate them from the little bit left in a bottle.

A bottle of beer is a fraction of the price of liquid yeast, and you get free beer. Propagating it from a bottle isn’t any harder than making a starter.

Exactly.

bitbucket
beers 2166 º places 63 º 20:12 Wed 1/9/2013

Originally posted by HornyDevil
Originally posted by InvalidStout
Originally posted by DA

Exactly.

Actually, you’re making a starter for your starter, and you ultimately have to make the starter as well. (Or, in the worst case scenario, a starter for the starter for your starter.) So, while the process is roughly the same each time, going through the process multiple times is harder unless your time is meaningless, and you were either going to do this or just play another ten games of computer solitaire to fight off the boredom.

And then there is the lag between the time when you start all this, and the time you get to brew beer. If you get a bottle-conditioned beer you’re ahead of the game as compared to force carbed beers that still have viable yeast. And speaking of viability, there’s no guarantee of high viability, because that’s not on the brewer’s radar for the beer by the time it gets to you. I’m not saying it can’t be done, it’s just not as easy.

HornyDevil
04:59 Thu 1/10/2013

Actually, you’re making a starter for your starter, and you ultimately have to make the starter as well. (Or, in the worst case scenario, a starter for the starter for your starter.) So, while the process is roughly the same each time, going through the process multiple times is harder unless your time is meaningless, and you were either going to do this or just play another ten games of computer solitaire to fight off the boredom.

And then there is the lag between the time when you start all this, and the time you get to brew beer. If you get a bottle-conditioned beer you’re ahead of the game as compared to force carbed beers that still have viable yeast. And speaking of viability, there’s no guarantee of high viability, because that’s not on the brewer’s radar for the beer by the time it gets to you. I’m not saying it can’t be done, it’s just not as easy.

Here’s the very difficult step by step process that I have used to culture bottle dreggs in the past. Please pay VERY close attention to every step as if you don’t do it EXACTLY as I have outlined, your starter will not work.

1) Make starter wort
2) Pour starter wort into growler
3) Let starter wort cool
4) Pitch bottle dreggs into starter wort
5) Put airlock on growler
6) Pitch into fermenter whenever ready

If that seems difficult, it’s because it is.

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer