Best of Japan according to RateBeer Japan and friends

Reads 2017 • Replies 16 • Started Monday, March 14, 2016 9:31:27 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

willisread
beers 7331 º places 126 º 09:31 Mon 3/14/2016

First off, thanks to everyone who contributed to the thread and the poll. As I mentioned before a lot of us talk a lot about which Japanese breweries are doing well and which ones we like, but I hadn’t seen a ranking of favorite breweries anywhere. I thought it would be nice just to put together our thoughts and opinions on the scene in Japan and see how things would look if we were forced to choose and rank which breweries are doing it well here.

This started as a ratebeer only poll, but since the sample size would have only been around 10, I decided to recruit some other Japanese craft beer heads from around the city and country. Most of them have posted here but one hasn’t.

I received 21 lists for the poll (including myself). 1 of the lists wasn’t added due to the fact that the breweries weren’t ranked. So these results are compiled from the 20 ranked lists I received. I kept the scoring system simple (thanks to Neil for suggesting): basically a brewery ranked first on a list would receive 10 points while the 10th brewery on the list would receive 1 point (a brewery ranked fifth on a list would receive 6 points, etc.) If you have any questions please feel free to post below. Let’s get a discussion going as well. I think we’d all like to hear from people regarding why they ranked the way they did, or possibly if they forgot to mention a brewery as well.

Also this is by no means a definitive list, just a small sample of only 20 beer heads. It would be nice if we could revisit this list in a year from now and see if any opinions have changed, or if any new breweries have made more waves. Anyway without further ado, Japan here are you breweries ranked according to ratebeer Japan:

Rankings:

1. Shiga Kogen (191)
2. Y. Market (150)
3. Kyoto (113)
4. Fujizakura (78)
5. Yorocco (59)
6. Zakkoku Kobo (55)
7. Thrash Zone (43)
8. Swan Lake (39)
9. Minoh (35)
10. Oni Densetsu [Noboribetsu Brewpub] / Shonan (34)
11. -
12. Nihonkai Club (28)
13. Daisen G (25)
14. AJB [Libushi] (24)
15. Baird (23)
16. Ise Kadoya (19)
17. Devil Craft (17)
18. Ushi-Tora / North Island (15)
19. -
20. Iwate Kura (13)
21. Baeren / Loco Beer (12)
22. -
23. Outsider (9)
24. Yoho (8)
25. Oh! La! Ho / Hideji (6)
26. -
27. Chateau Kamiya / Sankt Gallen / Kiuchi [Hitachino Nest] (5)
28. -
29. -
30. Mojiko / Aqula / Johana (3)
31. -
32. -
33. Hidatakayama / Atsugi / Coedo / Bayernmeister (2)
34. -
35. -
36. -
37. Tazawako (1)

-37 different breweries were mentioned in the 20 ranked lists. Of these 37 breweries only 2 were mentioned on all 20 ranked lists.

Thoughts, opinions?

willisread
beers 7331 º places 126 º 09:33 Mon 3/14/2016

Also wanna thank everyone from Ratebeer who participated along with SABGIJ group, untappd crew and Stef, Jay & Hiro-san from Gremlin!

shoulderbroken
beers 4258 º places 393 º 09:51 Mon 3/14/2016

Nice work Will!

TimE
beers 8459 º places 409 º 09:52 Mon 3/14/2016

The main thing that sticks out is that two of the top three breweries started in the past 2yrs or so (and three in top five started in past three years). That shows the bar isn’t that high - though those breweries are great, but I am guessing we will see the top 10-15 change a lot in the next 3-5 yrs.

I am surprised Yorocco is so far ahead of Shonan, and Shonan is tied with Onidesetsu. Most of Shonan’s non-regular line up rocks, while Yorocco makes some occasional great beers.

Tim

willisread
beers 7331 º places 126 º 18:55 Mon 3/14/2016

Great points Tim. 3 newish breweries in the top 5. I was going back and comparing these numbers to Mark’s book from a few years back and it’s kind of shocking how far a few have fallen. That probably has more to do with stellar debuts from new breweries, distribution and access and changing palates in Japan.

Shiga and y. Market were the only 2 breweries that made all 20 ranked lists. That says a lot right there.

willisread
beers 7331 º places 126 º 19:01 Mon 3/14/2016

Shonan’s regular beer line up is solid for sure, possibly the IPA series had people down on them. I had a bunch of Shonan in the past year and enjoyed all of it. Oni Densetsu is underrated to me. They are a bit of a one-trick pony but they do that trick well in my book.

Yorocco is an access thing for sure. I’ve had a lot of their beer in the past half year and they are killing it. New takes on classic styles and hybrid styles as well. All with a whimsical feeling of bliss in each glass. Not the most technical but definitely with the most charm. There’s magic going on down in Zushi.

Will

KyotoLefty
beers 15093 º places 1059 º 05:26 Tue 3/15/2016

I think there is a big novelty factor involved, and that counted much more than consistency. Certainly my list showed it, as I mentioned that this was for the past 6 months, and thus the focus on new beers, which is mostly what I drink.

Baird and Kiuchi in particular haven’t done all that much new stuff lately, and, wow, they are low on this list.

jonno
beers 2750 º places 211 º 06:55 Tue 3/15/2016

I agree with Tim, Shonan is consistently good, if not great and a brewery like them suffers due to lack of marketing/schtick/crazy names/crazy styles/brewing with visiting brewers rub et al - they don’t get the kind of love Yorocco do, but I think they make beer beer overall (subjective I know). Its a good list, but would be interesting to revisit 1/3/5 years down the line...who would still be in business? Who would still be consistently highly ranked?
Where will new breweries come from? Will Kyoto be the next Kiuchi?

willisread
beers 7331 º places 126 º 07:26 Tue 3/15/2016

Originally posted by KyotoLefty
I think there is a big novelty factor involved, and that counted much more than consistency. Certainly my list showed it, as I mentioned that this was for the past 6 months, and thus the focus on new beers, which is mostly what I drink.

Baird and Kiuchi in particular haven’t done all that much new stuff lately, and, wow, they are low on this list.

I agree somewhat but again out of 20 lists, Shiga and Y. Market were the only breweries mentioned 20 times. That is not really novelty in my opinion. Those 2 breweries are head and shoulders above the rest in all marks, including marketing, overall consistency, rotating new beers in and out, etc. This doesn’t mean that those 2 necessarily make the best beer in Japan per se, but they are both examples of the best of the best Japan has to offer. The fact that Baird and Kiuchi are down further on the list (Kiuchi in particular) just says more about the parody in brewing in Japan.

The top 6 are home to Yorocco, Zakko and ThrashZone which are all mico / nano breweries. Yes there is a novelty factor but I think all 3 of these breweries have improved their consistency so much over the past few years; particularly, Yorocco and ThrashZone.

Consistency was a very important thing in Japanese craft beer and still most certainly is. I guess looking at the data and some of the untappd top 10 data that Davido has access to shows us that Japanese palates are changing. People are seeking out new styles more than they were even one or two years ago. This is exciting to me. Yes quality and consistency should still be first and foremost and I would argue that the breweries mentioned in the top 10 realize that and are striving for that.

The thing that is really interesting going forward to me is how breweries can differentiate themselves from other breweries. If the quality level is rising than, the next thing is more exploration into styles, hop varietals, malts, house yeasts, water, etc. This is the next step for Japan and I really thing the new breweries already know this. I honestly think in 1 / 3 / 5 years time not much will have changed.

I’m most surprised by Aqula. They make some good brews especially the Kiwi IPA, but they didn’t perform as well as I thought they would have.

I like Shonan. They are just in the top 10. To me that sounds about right. This new barrel-aged Belgian stout seems like a new direction for them and an up coming Kyoto Brewing collaboration for Keyaki is exciting as well. It seems like they realize they need to update some things in 2016 and going forward. This is what it should be about. Brewers working together, sharing ideas and growing the scene.

Going forward it will be interesting to see who steps up and who fades away. I can’t see any of the top 10 breweries closing anytime soon (really any of these 37 breweries mentioned to be honest). I seek out a lot of these breweries at bars, bottle shops and festivals. Just because they aren’t in the top half doesn’t mean they make bad beer, it just means they aren’t sexy or ’in’ now. That’s OK. There are plenty of beers for any occasion and for any person craft fan or not. Craft beer is still only around 1 or 2 percent of the market in Japan as well.

shoulderbroken
beers 4258 º places 393 º 07:30 Tue 3/15/2016

Think Will was saying the same thing about doing it again in a year and so on. So much changes so quickly. If I’d done my list after I had the AJB barrel beers and the Shonan Barrel Imperial Stout I reckon my list would have been a bit different. And equally, a list like this is 100% about people’s opinions rather than anything definitive. But it’s definitely been an interesting read so well done to Will for coming up with the idea. Maybe we should try this with other things, beers or bars or something. Although I guess that is maybe a bit less inclusive.

willisread
beers 7331 º places 126 º 07:33 Tue 3/15/2016

Originally posted by jonno
I agree with Tim, Shonan is consistently good, if not great and a brewery like them suffers due to lack of marketing/schtick/crazy names/crazy styles/brewing with visiting brewers rub et al - they don’t get the kind of love Yorocco do, but I think they make beer beer overall (subjective I know). Its a good list, but would be interesting to revisit 1/3/5 years down the line...who would still be in business? Who would still be consistently highly ranked?
Where will new breweries come from? Will Kyoto be the next Kiuchi?

Agreed 100 percent with what you said. Yorocco and Shonan were both on my list. I like both breweries. However I think Yorocco makes more of the styles I enjoy, low abv session beers, dry hopped ipas and pales, saisons, fruit ipas and pales and everything with a house character. Plus they have a fantastic place to drink their beers. I like Shonan though a lot. I worked my way through most of the seasonal beers last year and was maybe only disappointed with some of the single hop IPAs. Everything else has been solid to great. I finally had the Ooiso Kotatsu Mikan wit and I loved it. The BA beer was amazing as well. Their Belgian Stout and Belgian IPA were both highly rated from me. I just think that with what Akio-san is working with in Zushi, coupled with the sustainable local thing, the quality of the beers overall in styles that I enjoy makes for a winning combination for me personally. I feel the same way with TZ and Zakko as well. You can really taste the house character in their beers and that is important to me.