Better in cask?

Reads 2309 • Replies 38 • Started Saturday, July 26, 2014 6:03:47 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

SarkyNorthener
beers 5200 º places 142 º 14:20 Sat 7/26/2014

I think the price of craft keg is inflated due to it being a fashionable relatively niche product consumed by a fair share of those with more disposable income than some and modern day yuppies.

MagicDave6
beers 1 º places 1 º 20:18 Sat 7/26/2014

Cask as long as its been looked after properly.

However the practicalities of this are always going to be variable for untold reasons.

Cellaring cask ale is thee single most exciting part of my job and its always an ongoing learning process. Whenever I think thats it i understand cask beer, one will do something that breaks all the rules and its upto the cellarman to figure what why. That why is what makes cask ale better than keg will ever be.

SarkyNorthener
beers 5200 º places 142 º 23:46 Sat 7/26/2014

What life do you have on a keg of craft IPA for example? I know on macro keg lagers and bitters you had upto 3 months.

For some landlords especially those who focus more on cask ales
Selling beers at £5 a half on cask may be risky with only 3 days or so life on them. But if they can get a couple of months to sell it on keg. The latter is the safest option. Even though it may be bettet on cask.

Erlangernick
beers 6 º places 2 º 02:37 Sun 7/27/2014

Originally posted by Gary
Originally posted by Erlangernick
Better sparkled or not?
it’s grim up north. They need their little novelty sparkler

All right then, gravity or non-sparkled & non-swan-neck handpull?

(What do you call the non-swan type of handpump again?)

Erlangernick
beers 6 º places 2 º 02:38 Sun 7/27/2014

Originally posted by MagicDave6

However the practicalities of this are always going to be variable for untold reasons.

Cellaring cask ale is thee single most exciting part of my job and its always an ongoing learning process. Whenever I think thats it i understand cask beer, one will do something that breaks all the rules and its upto the cellarman to figure what why. That why is what makes cask ale better than keg will ever be.

How a cask beer evolves in the course of its life on the bar is part of its attraction.

BlackHaddock
beers 15453 º places 1053 º 02:55 Sun 7/27/2014

How a cask beer evolves in the course of its life on the bar is part of its attraction.

I did not rate/review cask ales for years because I thought it unfair on the brewer when I got presented with a beer that was not at it’s best, green or stale: I also realise cask beer can change in ’layers’ and taste differently within two pints or two hours, That is why it is so difficult to rate/review it fairly but great to drink it. I now try and score cask beers as objectively as possible no matter it’s condition. I tend to use good Real Ale pubs though, which is why the CAMRA GBG is such a useful tool when travelling around the UK, even if it is 9 months out of date before it’s printed.

<*))))))><

Erlangernick
beers 6 º places 2 º 09:12 Sun 7/27/2014

Originally posted by BlackHaddock

I did not rate/review cask ales for years because I thought it unfair on the brewer when I got presented with a beer that was not at it’s best, green or stale: I also realise cask beer can change in ’layers’ and taste differently within two pints or two hours, That is why it is so difficult to rate/review it fairly but great to drink it. I now try and score cask beers as objectively as possible no matter it’s condition. I tend to use good Real Ale pubs though, which is why the CAMRA GBG is such a useful tool when travelling around the UK, even if it is 9 months out of date before it’s printed.

<*))))))><

*sigh*

It’s been nearly two years since I was last in England, and my last cask beer was in January at the Thornbridge do in Amsterdam.

What about whatpub.com...why can’t they include whether a pub is GBG listed as a criterion?

Gazza
beers 727 º places 167 º 10:35 Sun 7/27/2014

Originally posted by harrisoni
Table Beer falls into a lower abv tax bracket.

Not entirely right.

A beer under 2.8% qualifies for half standard beer duty. However, this doesn’t apply to almost all micro-brewers as their production levels are under the threshold and qualify for half duty on all their production anyway, so they get zero additional discount for brewing this style of beer which you get less money selling (in general) and still costs 95% the price of making something you can sell for a lot more.

So, in a nutshell, only regionals and big brewers get tax discounts by brewing this type of beer which is why you generally only see it from those brewers and not us little ones.

imdownthepub
beers 26058 º places 2105 º 00:51 Mon 7/28/2014

What about whatpub.com...why can’t they include whether a pub is GBG listed as a criterion?

The reason is that if GBG pubs were highlighted on Whatpub no one would need to buy the GBG. This is CAMRA reasoning and the GBG is a major revenue source.

Erlangernick
beers 6 º places 2 º 01:42 Mon 7/28/2014

Originally posted by imdownthepub

The reason is that if GBG pubs were highlighted on Whatpub no one would need to buy the GBG. This is CAMRA reasoning and the GBG is a major revenue source.

Make it members-only. I should’ve mentioned that in my previous post.

OTOH, they do offer the GBG mobile apps for what...5 quid? Mine’s fucked though, I guess I haven’t renewed it in a couple of years.