"Brett" Trois

Reads 3971 • Replies 25 • Started Monday, December 8, 2014 9:55:34 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

CLevar
places 23 º 21:55 Mon 12/8/2014

Stumbled on a really interesting thread on Reddit this evening, where they seem to indicate that the WL Brett Trois is actually a Sacch. strain.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Homebrewing/comments/2ooic7/brett_trois_contains_no_brett/

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=366949620132652&id=166193676874915&comment_id=367500220077592&offset=0&total_comments=17

Anyone have any additional information about this? I’ve never done any characterization of it, but I do use it a lot! I’ll have to check it out using some primers a prof gave to me that are supposed to be Sacch specific.

CLevar
places 23 º 22:01 Mon 12/8/2014

Also, it’s worth noting that it’s the Omega Yeast Lab that did the testing (of their strain?) and that the WL part is hear-say at this point

SamGamgee
beers 2452 º places 182 º 22:10 Mon 12/8/2014

I’ve also heard that Drie probably isn’t brett either but haven’t seen anything proving one way or another.

HornyDevil
00:37 Tue 12/9/2014

A guy on the Milk the Funk group on Facebook stated that they genetically sequenced the Trois strain and that it came out as Saccharomyces instead of Brett. Really doesn’t change anything about how the strain acts or what it produces during fermentation. Makes for some cool discussions about in on the interwebs, though.

flabeer
places 2 º 05:13 Tue 12/9/2014

Aren’t Brett. Trois and Brett. Drie both supposed to be Brett. isolated from Drie Fonteinen?

CLevar
places 23 º 06:47 Tue 12/9/2014

Originally posted by flabeer
Aren’t Brett. Trois and Brett. Drie both supposed to be Brett. isolated from Drie Fonteinen?

That was my understanding

CLevar
places 23 º 07:23 Tue 12/9/2014

Originally posted by HornyDevil
A guy on the Milk the Funk group on Facebook stated that they genetically sequenced the Trois strain and that it came out as Saccharomyces instead of Brett. Really doesn’t change anything about how the strain acts or what it produces during fermentation. Makes for some cool discussions about in on the interwebs, though.

I agree, with one caveat-

Pitching Pedio and Brett Trois as the primary organisms for the production of a "wild ale" probably isn’t a good idea, at least until this is sorted out.

HornyDevil
06:56 Wed 12/10/2014

Originally posted by CLevar
Originally posted by HornyDevil

I agree, with one caveat-

Pitching Pedio and Brett Trois as the primary organisms for the production of a "wild ale" probably isn’t a good idea, at least until this is sorted out.

Agreed.

CLevar
places 23 º 08:04 Wed 12/10/2014

No reply yet from WL, though that’s not surprising.

CLevar
places 23 º 10:28 Wed 12/10/2014

From the WL website:

"We have received some questions as to whether White Labs WLP644 Brettanomyces bruxellensis Trois is not a strain of Brettanomyces. We obtained the original culture from a reputable source,? ?identified ?as? ?a species of? ?Brettanomyces.
We have been doing experiments on this in-house and sending the strain to? ?independent?? ?laboratories? for some time. When we have a definitive genetic answer we will be happy to share that information.
In addition, we have had a?? 2-year collaborative research project?? to completely sequence more than 96 of our yeast strains, both? ?Brettanomyces and Saccharo?myces, which we hope to begin publishing in 2015. The complete sequencing of brewers yeast strains in this magnitude has never been done before, and we expect it will change the way many yeast strains, this? one? included,?? ?are currently categorized and understood.
Chris White and Neva Parker, White Labs"

Not sure if that’s an answer to the question really, but glad to hear they are working on it.

EDIT: Don’t know where those random "?" marks are coming from. I just copy pasted from the WL website.

HornyDevil
11:18 Wed 12/10/2014

I’m surprised that this type of genetic sequencing hasn’t been done before. IMO, it should have been done long ago.

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer