Brewdog Tokyo Update

Reads 2643 • Replies 23 • Started Friday, June 26, 2009 9:01:43 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

darkguardian
beers 736 º places 2 º 18:00 Sun 6/28/2009

Zephyr is really really good. I had a bottle last night and it drinks almost like a session beer, you don’t know its 12.5% till you start talking like an idiot.

puzzl
beers 3258 º places 138 º 18:18 Sun 6/28/2009

Originally posted by TAR
It would be cool if this kind of excitement were generated over a more traditional, British-style imperial stout of modest strength with tons of malt layers, delicate hopping, and intriguing esters.

I wish! There is a severe lack of British-style imperial stouts out there and it makes me rather sad.

darkguardian
beers 736 º places 2 º 00:56 Tue 6/30/2009

Originally posted by puzzl
Originally posted by TAR
It would be cool if this kind of excitement were generated over a more traditional, British-style imperial stout of modest strength with tons of malt layers, delicate hopping, and intriguing esters.

I wish! There is a severe lack of British-style imperial stouts out there and it makes me rather sad.

My excitement has less to do with its strength and more to do with the brewery. In fact I’m a little concerned that this beer may be a boozy mess with that sort of content. I mean I was pleasantly suprised by Dark Horizons. I’m much more excited by the fact that they will be bottling the Rake Raspberry Impy Stout.

evilempire
beers 162 º places 110 º 04:08 Tue 6/30/2009

Originally posted by Magicdave6
Originally posted by traPISSED
Alrighty

I really like tokyo, but this new batch looks like it going to own me.

http://www.brewdog.com/blog-article.php?id=113

Chin chin

Tom

I remember reading on the brewdog site that they were making an IPA then sending it out to sea for a few months to mature. Do you know what this beer is and its status. Im sorry I cant remember.

This may help you: http://brewdog.com/blog-article.php?id=78

Also i think its going to out fairly soon, iv got a bottle in the fridge at work that i tease ppl with.

now you know you want to bring that to RBESG grand tasting...

harrisoni
beers 25366 º places 68 º 05:17 Tue 6/30/2009

Originally posted by TAR

OK, which traditional British-style imperial stouts are you thinking of?? The Harvey’s Impy Stout or the Pitfield perhaps? Be intrigued to know.

As we don’t get too many beers made in the UK in excess of say 6% ABV, then they do attract excitement. It’s difficult to get excited about another 3.8% bitter/golden ale, unless of course it is made by one of the top breweries (Thornbridge, Dark Star, Oakham, Pictish, Marble etc)

JamesBrewDog
05:20 Wed 7/1/2009

All finished up at 18.2% ABV.
Now time for some dry-hopping and oak chipping action.

I am trying to decide if we need to slightly tweak the name on the label or if simply changing the ABV on the label is enough.
How about

TOKYO*

TOKYO!

TOKYO+

or just plain old TOKYO

After how much trouble the 12% Tokyo got us into in the UK, we have no idea what will happen this time!

http://www.brewdog.com/blog-article.php?id=109

These were some of the quotes:

Jack Law, chief executive of Alcohol Focus Scotland, a charity promoting responsible drinking, said he was disappointed that such a strong drink was being produced when health and social problems relating to alcohol were increasing.

"What justification can there possibly be to bring an extra strong beer on to the market? Super-strength drinks are often favoured by young people and problem drinkers - is this really who the brewery wants to target?"

Dr Bruce Ritson, the chairman of Scottish Health Action on Alcohol Problems, declared there was no place for such a high-strength beer on the market.

He said: "It is the last thing we need. It is absolutely the wrong direction to be going as far as Scotland’s health problems are concerned. If it became popular it would have devastating consequences for health as well as social order and violence on the streets."

Dr Richard Simpson, Labour’s public health spokesman, said: "Since a huge proportion of alcohol in Scotland is consumed in the form of beer, this product is hugely irresponsible."

And Jamie Stone, the Scottish Liberal Democrat public health spokesman, commented: "Focusing on it being the UK’s strongest beer jars with the current campaign to tackle Scotland’s stormy relationship with alcohol. We need socially responsible advertising campaigns from the alcohol industry to support Scots to change their attitude to booze."

Keep Rocking in the Free World

James, BrewDog

DonMagi
beers 5592 º places 50 º 05:30 Wed 7/1/2009

Originally posted by JamesBrewDog

I am trying to decide if we need to slightly tweak the name on the label or if simply changing the ABV on the label is enough.
How about

TOKYO*

TOKYO!

TOKYO+

or just plain old TOKYO

After how much trouble the 12% Tokyo got us into in the UK, we have no idea what will happen this time!

Jack Law, chief executive of Alcohol Focus Scotland, a charity promoting responsible drinking, said he was disappointed that such a strong drink was being produced when health and social problems relating to alcohol were increasing.

"What justification can there possibly be to bring an extra strong beer on to the market? Super-strength drinks are often favoured by young people and problem drinkers - is this really who the brewery wants to target?"

Dr Bruce Ritson, the chairman of Scottish Health Action on Alcohol Problems, declared there was no place for such a high-strength beer on the market.

He said: "It is the last thing we need. It is absolutely the wrong direction to be going as far as Scotland’s health problems are concerned. If it became popular it would have devastating consequences for health as well as social order and violence on the streets."

Dr Richard Simpson, Labour’s public health spokesman, said: "Since a huge proportion of alcohol in Scotland is consumed in the form of beer, this product is hugely irresponsible."

And Jamie Stone, the Scottish Liberal Democrat public health spokesman, commented: "Focusing on it being the UK’s strongest beer jars with the current campaign to tackle Scotland’s stormy relationship with alcohol. We need socially responsible advertising campaigns from the alcohol industry to support Scots to change their attitude to booze."

James, BrewDog

Id imagine that keeping it simply as Tokyo and changing the % on the label and we’ll put it on the site as batch 2 with a discription.

Its interesting listening to these health professionals and politicans who clearly have no idea what they’re dealing with. I mean im guessing theres only going to be 2000 bottles of this batch and it’ll be avalible online and in a few select places again. If any non beer geek anywhere in the world manages to get ahold of one of these id be very very suprised.

Keep up the bonnie banter laddie!

TimE
beers 8459 º places 409 º 05:48 Wed 7/1/2009

How about

TOKYO*

TOKYO!

TOKYO+

or just plain old TOKYO

James, BrewDog

Id imagine that keeping it simply as Tokyo and changing the % on the label and we’ll put it on the site as batch 2 with a discription.

Its interesting listening to these health professionals and politicans who clearly have no idea what they’re dealing with. I mean im guessing theres only going to be 2000 bottles of this batch and it’ll be avalible online and in a few select places again. If any non beer geek anywhere in the world manages to get ahold of one of these id be very very suprised.

Keep up the bonnie banter laddie!

Dear James AKA The Violence Promoter

I totally agree with the aforementioned statements that releasing this beer would be completely irresponsible and will damage people’s health in Scotland. Therefore, as a simple solution, please send the beer to me and my beer disposal company. I (along with a few friends) will ensure this beer does not reach public hands, therefore avoids possible violence. Your faith will be in good hands as I will ensure absolute professionalism in the disposition of this beer (including using proper glassware).

In all seriousness though, I would stick to Batch 2 or Edition 2, 2009 Edition or something like that. Trying to change the name to Tokyo+ or something like that could get very confusing if numerous additional batches are made. Keep it simple for us and the consumer.

I also can’t wait to hear what the authoritative figures have to say about this. If they complain, simply say you promise to lower the ABV on the next batch, possibly even down to 16%.

Tim
PS As a sidenote, please ensure David Croll gets some on his next shipment. I would be very appreciative.

cgarvieuk
beers 37625 º places 457 º 07:18 Wed 7/1/2009

James, BrewDog

Not the most exciting of places but i did write an article on this in the local CAMRA magazine, pointing out just how stupid their statments were.

Tokyo was £3 a bottle for 3 Units. about £1 a unit
for about £6 you can get a 375 of Vodka that conatins about 15 units or 40p a unit

plus 24 cans of lager for £9(or tyere about again worked out at way less tha £1 a unit.

So what the issue you get less alchol for your money. Hardly encouraging binging

DonMagi
beers 5592 º places 50 º 07:36 Wed 7/1/2009

Originally posted by cgarvieuk

James, BrewDog

Not the most exciting of places but i did write an article on this in the local CAMRA magazine, pointing out just how stupid their statments were.

Tokyo was £3 a bottle for 3 Units. about £1 a unit
for about £6 you can get a 375 of Vodka that conatins about 15 units or 40p a unit

plus 24 cans of lager for £9(or tyere about again worked out at way less tha £1 a unit.

So what the issue you get less alchol for your money. Hardly encouraging binging

Hang about, where you getting Tokyo for £3!!!

Related Items
BrewDog Tokyo (12%)