Carrying Beers On Your Bicycle - Basket? Panniers? Insulated?

Reads 6044 • Replies 28 • Started Tuesday, June 23, 2015 8:15:27 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Ernest
beers 9435 º places 229 º 21:21 Tue 6/23/2015

Originally posted by mkgrenwel
Messenger bag or backpack.

This. Getting fancy with bike accessories is a needless waste of money and is less convenient, since you can just load up your backpack in the store when you’re checking out, no need for other bags/boxes/etc. Just carry a towel in your backpack like Arthur Dent would, to cushion the bottles from each other.

DietPepsican
beers 1592 º places 63 º 21:22 Tue 6/23/2015

Always just toss it in my bag biking/riding/driving/walking. Works every time.

Ernest
beers 9435 º places 229 º 21:22 Tue 6/23/2015

Originally posted by joet
Originally posted by mkgrenwel
Messenger bag or backpack.

Thought about this, but then I also thought about sudden stops and skitchy turns.

You’d rather have the extra weight on the bike, thereby affecting its dynamics? I dare say your concern is an argument FOR the backpack, not against.

Ernesto987
beers 6082 º places 104 º 01:35 Wed 6/24/2015

I ride my bike to all tastings, I put bottles in a bottle bag with separate pouches so that they don’t bang together and then in a backpack. Take it easy and stay off trails. I use my road bike for this. Don’t forget reflective vest and lights! If you’re out drinking so are the drivers.

Travlr
beers 33910 º places 4591 º 07:21 Wed 6/24/2015

Hopworks in Portland has a decent beer bike: http://coolmaterial.com/food-drink/the-hopworks-beer-bike/

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 07:28 Wed 6/24/2015

How about this one?
http://www.pashley.co.uk/bikes/carrier-cycles/classic-no-33.php

Think you might be able to fit a couple of extra bottles in there.

AdamChandler
beers 6124 º places 278 º 07:37 Wed 6/24/2015

Since nearly all of my bottles are bottle conditioned, i never go anywhere with them.

True scenario: Friend, "Hey dude, bring some saisons over. I’m having a bon-fire"

Me internal dialogue, "They’re corked and I’d need a cork screw and a cap opener and glassware and that would break and the yeast would get all stirred up and they’d gush everywhere and the fire has high UV light and would ruin the alpha acids and I’m already not wearing pants so why bother?"

Drink at home, much easier.

AdamChandler
beers 6124 º places 278 º 07:37 Wed 6/24/2015

When doing big tastings that require travel, I usually mail the bottles I’m contributing a few weeks early to allow the bottles to settle in their fridge so as to avoid disgusting looking pours or gushers from happening.

Brigadier
beers 4930 º places 334 º 21:43 Wed 6/24/2015

Originally posted by joet
I just donated my racing bike to a local charity. This frees me up to get a practical bike for riding to/from local tastings. But what next?

The problem of transporting one to six bottles of beer poses a problem, for it’s always good to use both hands for steering.

Have you solved this problem? Can you make a recommendation?

I solved this problem by buying a new bike since one can never have too many bikes More seriously depending on what you are carting I’ve had success with a messenger bag. If it is a considerable amount I’ve seen people haul beer in panniers too though I’ve never tried it myself.

Although I don’t recommend it I heard a story second hand about someone in the UK who carted 24 bottles from Thornbridge Hall home over an 800 foot climb in their backpack. That will definitely give you incentive to drink once you get home.

Fin
beers 17274 º places 1653 º 23:41 Wed 6/24/2015

I picked up some great panniers in Amsterdam, really sturdy things they are, they were purchased for beer and shopping duties when cycling back to the camper, I can get quite a lot of bottles in there.