Chucks CD: Funk Fest and Ale Apothecary

Reads 1082 • Replies 13 • Started Wednesday, July 15, 2015 3:44:13 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

beastiefan2k
beers 5012 º places 294 º 15:44 Wed 7/15/2015

Saturday Chuck’s is having a sour fest with 4oz pours

The Lost Abbey Red Poppy Flanders Red
The Lost Abbey Framboise de Amorosa
Holy Mountain Apricot Table Sour
Holy Mountain Blackberry Table Sour
Aslan Brewing Disco Lemonade Berliner Weisse b
Aslan Head of Security Sour Brown Ale
Firestone Walker 2014 Bretta Weisse
Block 15 Cardinal Coalesence
Green Flash Le Freak Barrique
Ballast Point Raspberry Sour Wench

Additionally, they will be allowing Ale Apothecary to rip people off by having 4 cases of one beer (El Cuatro!!), which will cost $38. PASS! (PS, if anyone wants to buy it and share it with me, that’s is completely kosher)

Anyone interested in meeting up for sour beer?

Sarlacc83
beers 2662 º places 111 º 15:47 Wed 7/15/2015

Wow, the price on Ale Apothecary sucks. The first bottle of El Cuatro I bought was like 18 dollars. That was only 2 (maybe 3 years ago). There must be some incredible demand to justify a 100% increase in such a short span.

after4ever
admin
beers 8025 º places 322 º 16:26 Wed 7/15/2015

Lots of delicious beers on that list, including TAA. I love their beers. But I’m kinda grateful I already have plans that day, so I don’t have to fight those crowds to hand over my cash.

CheersMate
beers 1348 º places 189 º 17:42 Wed 7/15/2015

Originally posted by Sarlacc83
Wow, the price on Ale Apothecary sucks. The first bottle of El Cuatro I bought was like 18 dollars. That was only 2 (maybe 3 years ago). There must be some incredible demand to justify a 100% increase in such a short span.

If my memory serves me correctly, I’ve always balked at buying this stuff, due to the high price, even in Oregon.

Have the prices climbed that drastically down there, too, or is this just a Seattle thing? Typically, I’ll see a dollar or two difference on some beers between the two cities, but I doubt there’s much of a difference.

Agreed, though, outside of demand, I don’t see what could justify a price increase to that level. Maybe it’s a desperate attempt to give their beers the appearance of being "better".

Any way you slice it, that price is fucked, and they will continue to not get my business.

after4ever
admin
beers 8025 º places 322 º 17:54 Wed 7/15/2015

I’ve paid $30 and $35 for TAA beers at Belmont Station in the last couple years. They’re not something I can afford to buy in large amounts, but they’re ultra-labor-intensive and the quality is there for the cost, IMO. It doesn’t feel like cynical manipulation of the market or money-grubbing or anything like that to me.

beastiefan2k
beers 5012 º places 294 º 19:06 Wed 7/15/2015

$40 for one of them at Beer Mongers a few weekends ago.

I have a hard time believing he needs to charge that much to make the average profit. Its not like his overhead is high in the middle of nowhere.

Prufrockstar
beers 2132 º places 83 º 19:38 Wed 7/15/2015

If you can wade your way through this: http://mountainbrewery.org/2014/07/20/the-worthst/

I think it’s less an issue of "overhead" and more an issue of the desire to make beer on a small scale in a time/labor intensive way, while earning enough to make a living. For better or worse, it’s not like he has a high-volume lineup of IPAs to pay the bills.

(Full disclosure: I’ve been really impressed by every Ale Apothecary beer I’ve had. I’ve also only ever purchased one Ale Apothecary bottle for myself, due to the price.)

andrewje41
beers 7597 º places 142 º 20:07 Wed 7/15/2015

I’ve never picked up an Ale Apothecary, due to price. Heard great things though. Although, if I ever find the Sahti, I will pay the price just to finally get the style tick.

theisti
beers 5287 º places 1153 º 21:38 Wed 7/15/2015

Originally posted by beastiefan2k

I have a hard time believing he needs to charge that much to make the average profit. Its not like his overhead is high in the middle of nowhere.

Do we need to have this conversation again, comrade?

after4ever
admin
beers 8025 º places 322 º 11:23 Thu 7/16/2015

Originally posted by theisti

The glory of the People’s Republic of Eugenistan will never be enslaved to the stinking pigdogs of the capitalist free market!

Or, $38 is too much for a 750ml.

beastiefan2k
beers 5012 º places 294 º 11:53 Thu 7/16/2015

Originally posted by after4ever
Originally posted by theisti

The glory of the People’s Republic of Eugenistan will never be enslaved to the stinking pigdogs of the capitalist free market!

Or, $38 is too much for a 750ml.

Unfortunately, we live in a world of people that do things I do not approve of with their beer and their money, what a shame.