Craft cider trend

Reads 4203 • Replies 61 • Started Tuesday, July 8, 2014 8:07:56 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

GT
beers 10001 º places 672 º 15:51 Thu 7/10/2014

I would love to see the American demand for good cider get us better distribution of Norman/Breton and Basque/Asturian ciders.

Stine
beers 1810 º places 259 º 17:39 Thu 7/10/2014

Originally posted by GT2
I would love to see the American demand for good cider get us better distribution of Norman/Breton and Basque/Asturian ciders.

It seems as though this may take awhile to occur. Earlier posts in this thread indicate that the demand for local, craft cider has caused a stagnancy in demand for the vastly superior (generally, of course) european products.

crossovert
beers 17165 º places 150 º 17:41 Thu 7/10/2014

Originally posted by Stine
Originally posted by GT2

It seems as though this may take awhile to occur. Earlier posts in this thread indicate that the demand for local, craft cider has caused a stagnancy in demand for the vastly superior (generally, of course) european products.

I will say in Chicago there are easily over 100 euro cidre choices but it is just too expensive after import. 4 packs of pints of Vander Mill for 9.99 vs 20$ bottles of the french or english stuff.

Stine
beers 1810 º places 259 º 17:51 Thu 7/10/2014

Originally posted by crossovert
Originally posted by GT2

I will say in Chicago there are easily over 100 euro cidre choices but it is just too expensive after import. 4 packs of pints of Vander Mill for 9.99 vs 20$ bottles of the french or english stuff.

For sure. Around here, the people are drinking ciders as a substitute for whatever bad (local, and craft, likely) beer they would’ve chosen.

CLevar
places 23 º 18:04 Thu 7/10/2014

A number of years ago Tyler at Zipps had some amazing cider on a heavy discount due to some mixup in orders or something like that. So I bought it.

Needless to say, my mind was blown. Wish I could get something like that all the time at that price point

JoeMcPhee
beers 12098 º places 543 º 18:46 Thu 7/10/2014

Originally posted by JoeMcPhee
It’s still finding its legs here as a lot of the ciders were pretty simple, but there’s clear interest in the beverage.

One of the curious aspects I can’t understand is this: going by taste alone, the quality of what I can find on draft in Minnesota doesn’t seem to match up with how much interest there is. But maybe this is a necessary stepping stone in the education process.

Cider isn’t like beer - it takes a lot of skill, access to ingredients, and most importantly, lots of time to get cider making off the ground. I think that people are figuring out the process and hopefully some of them are going to start experimenting.

NobleSquirrel
beers 3437 º places 209 º 06:50 Fri 7/11/2014

In talking with the old school guys last month like Gary Awdey and Jeff Carlson, there is so much opportunity for cider. The problem is that there was a hundred plus years where cider fell off the map. The fact that it was rebooted by cideries trying to make a sweet product has set it back a ton. There is a lot of consumer education that needs to be made so that the great and austere English style ciders or the funky French stuff is palateable to a broader audience. There also needs to be some understanding by cideries that you don’t put out a shit ton if mousy cider and expect that people will buy it because of your name. Bad cider is bad cider. The other thing that people don’t seem to understand is that cider isn’t going to taste like a fresh apple, just like white wine isn’t going to taste like grapes. It’s an acidic. And tannic quaff and stupendous when made the right way.

DuffMan
beers 10981 º places 349 º 09:07 Fri 7/11/2014

Just had a Finnriver Habanero Cider last night and it was outstanding-- bone dry, nice expression of pepper character, and long heat. There is so much creative potential in this area!

HaStuMiteZen99
beers 1111 º places 27 º 09:42 Fri 7/11/2014

Originally posted by DuffMan
Just had a Finnriver Habanero Cider last night and it was outstanding-- bone dry, nice expression of pepper character, and long heat. There is so much creative potential in this area!

There sure is! We can just take all the dumb-ass ingredients we added to dumb-ass beers invented by looking at a the BJCP style list and picking whatever permutations no one has tried yet, and do exactly the same thing with ciders!

I totally can’t wait for a 13% Bretted Cacao Nib Milk Citra Imperial Milk Berliner Cider Stout. I especially look forward to the barrel-aged series. Such innovative. Very new. Wow.

Joking aside, I hope the biggest part of the new craft cider trend is just to make good, spontaneously femermented cider that’s left for a good amount of time in a (non-bourbon) barrel and made out of good quality cider apples.

keanex
beers 1802 º places 65 º 09:46 Fri 7/11/2014

I’ve been working my way through some ciders and meads and have really liked the ones from America. A lot of the foreign ones I haven’t been fond of. I tend to like my ciders on the sweet to semi-sweet side though.