Dangerous Man to expand, add growler shoppe

Reads 400 • Replies 7 • Started Thursday, April 9, 2015 7:25:07 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

TheHOFF43
beers 2045 º places 169 º 07:25 Thu 4/9/2015

CLevar
places 23 º 09:00 Thu 4/9/2015

Wonder who is going to one up them and open "Ye Olde Tyme Growler Shoppe"

So much hipster cred would be gained.

islay
beers 3622 º places 18 º 11:12 Thu 4/9/2015

"Two-thirds of the space would be devoted to six additional fermenters to add variety to its beer lineup and keep up with demand..."

I always said that Dangerous Man needed more variety. Only a little over 100 beers in its first two and a quarter years of operation? Unacceptable!

The only downside to this news is that I was hoping Dangerous Man would do an even bigger expansion, such as building a second and larger brewery as Surly and Fulton did, and then hopefully distribute outside of the taproom in both kegs and bottles/cans. This action doesn’t preclude something like that, of course, but it indicates that Dangerous Man’s ambitions are smaller and priorities are elsewhere for now. For all I know Rob Miller has no interest in a massive expansion, although both the quality of and demand for the beer would seem to justify it.

Why are there lines out the door for growlers every Tuesday at 4 p.m. to the point that a "Growler Shoppe" is needed? Because people 1) love the beer and 2) can’t get it anywhere else.

TheHOFF43
beers 2045 º places 169 º 11:23 Thu 4/9/2015

Do you understand the cost to expand like Surly or Fulton? $25 million+ for Surly’s new digs. Not sure Dangerous Man is there yet.

I think we all know that the beer is in high demand but to expand like Fulton or Surly would require them to distribute their beer first.

islay
beers 3622 º places 18 º 11:42 Thu 4/9/2015

$34 million for Surly, and obviously I wouldn’t expect or suggest anything of that scale. A second brewery would be an expensive endeavor, a ton of work, and a business model pivot. I certainly understand not wanting to take on that sort of effort, debt, and risk, especially given that Rob Miller clearly is in the business to brew great beer and run a cool taproom rather than build an industrial operation. It’s easy for me to ask for more given that I don’t have to put any time, money, or labor into making "more" happen. It will be interesting to see if the expansion gives Dangerous Man the capacity for external distribution or the space for a large-scale bottling or canning line, which it currently lacks. The article made no mention of those things, so I suspect that they’re not in the works at this time.

Bacterial
beers 3140 º places 134 º 11:47 Thu 4/9/2015

These Growler Shoppe things are becoming more common here in CA. Stone has a little taproom / bottle shop / growler filler / swag shop here in Pasadena and its one of my favorite places to go. Sierra Nevada opened up one in Berkeley. Of course, these are huge companies but if there is demand to support it, why not?

islay
beers 3622 º places 18 º 12:05 Thu 4/9/2015

Hayes’ is expanding too. It’s a nice little spot, by the way. It brews decent beer (not of Dangerous Man quality, but at least average and without notable defects). I’d say it’s worth checking out, as long as you go in with appropriately modest expectations, especially if you’re in the northwest part of the metro area.

http://growlermag.com/hayes-public-house-expanding/

Hat tip to Chaz at the other site.

JK
beers 7296 º places 442 º 20:33 Mon 4/20/2015

At the taproom on Friday, I had the Porter with Vanilla and Cocoa nibs, or at least that is what I think it said on the chalkboard; pulled from the cask.

Is this a new beer or the regular vanilla porter?