De Geuzen van Oud Beersel Lambics

Reads 631 • Replies 6 • Started Friday, July 28, 2017 12:47:39 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

ClarkVV
beers 13502 º places 112 º 12:47 Fri 7/28/2017

So it took me quite a while to enter these correctly in to the site. I now see they were deleted with no message sent or any conversation (unless I missed it, which is possible)
They both are collaborations from known lambic producers (h.ertie and Le Chat Rebelle) brewed at Oud Beersel (so I thought).

Cheers

77ships
beers 14200 º places 929 º 12:54 Fri 7/28/2017

The person who rated them was contacted, apologies for the lack of clarity.

Van Oud Beersel is a non-profit organization affiliated with Oud Beersel. Previous vintages of "Geuzen van Oud Beersel" were homeblends of Uli who is not a licensed brewer, some of them I believe were only available as game prizes (I remember inquiring about one many years ago, it was not for sale). Most current blend is the result of a masterclass where you got to make a blend together with Uli and Le Chat Rebell. The seconds one is non-commercial as well as is stated on his FB as well. Oud Beersel lambiek was supplied but the result was that of a collaboration between expert but unlicensed blenders and students.

I realize how confusing the situation has become with Uli & Le Chat Rebell going as far as serving beers at festivals in Belgium on occasion. This being illegal actually but such things are not followed closely in Belgium (I obviously do not object either). They are close friends to many lambiek brewers and as part of the non-profit Geuzen van Oud Beersel they get special access to Oud Beersel lambiek.

I realize that a few Uli beers are in the ratebeer database, exceptions were made for those where Uli worked together with licensed brewers in their brewery akin to the Stone beers made with homebrewers. There are more Uli entries which we are considering deleting (we have already deleted a few). As will all things lambiek it remains a heated discussion.

Cheers,

ClarkVV
beers 13502 º places 112 º 15:39 Fri 7/28/2017

Originally posted by 77ships
The person who rated them was contacted, apologies for the lack of clarity.

Van Oud Beersel is a non-profit organization affiliated with Oud Beersel. Previous vintages of "Geuzen van Oud Beersel" were homeblends of Uli who is not a licensed brewer, some of them I believe were only available as game prizes (I remember inquiring about one many years ago, it was not for sale). Most current blend is the result of a masterclass where you got to make a blend together with Uli and Le Chat Rebell. The seconds one is non-commercial as well as is stated on his FB as well. Oud Beersel lambiek was supplied but the result was that of a collaboration between expert but unlicensed blenders and students.

I realize how confusing the situation has become with Uli & Le Chat Rebell going as far as serving beers at festivals in Belgium on occasion. This being illegal actually but such things are not followed closely in Belgium (I obviously do not object either). They are close friends to many lambiek brewers and as part of the non-profit Geuzen van Oud Beersel they get special access to Oud Beersel lambiek.

I realize that a few Uli beers are in the ratebeer database, exceptions were made for those where Uli worked together with licensed brewers in their brewery akin to the Stone beers made with homebrewers. There are more Uli entries which we are considering deleting (we have already deleted a few). As will all things lambiek it remains a heated discussion.

Cheers,

Thank you for taking the time to respond and explain!
Hmm, a pity to not have them in the database, but it does follow our current policy, as you point out.

Cheers

bartlebier
beers 4526 º places 177 º 17:08 Fri 7/28/2017

77 has got this admin/mod game down. Worth the ABI buy-in alone!

KristofT
beers 1 º places 3 º 04:33 Tue 8/22/2017

It’s illegal if they have actually brewed the beer themselves, without the proper permits re excises and food safety.
But neither Uli and Chat Rebelle are producers. The excise duty is paid by the brewery where they bought lambic/wort/beer. That is not illegal.

kraddel
beers 10779 º places 386 º 05:14 Tue 8/22/2017

Originally posted by KristofT

It’s illegal if they have actually brewed the beer themselves, without the proper permits re excises and food safety.
But neither Uli and Chat Rebelle are producers. The excise duty is paid by the brewery where they bought lambic/wort/beer. That is not illegal.

But it’s not released trough the brewery.

Uli as wellbas chat rebelle can’t be added here, they’re not official breweries, nor blenders. They blend homebrew style.
Adding the beers as oud beersel, for instance, would not be a good option, since they are not reaponsible for the blend. Ergo, they are not responsible for the beer.

KristofT
beers 1 º places 3 º 08:48 Mon 9/18/2017

Originally posted by kraddel
Originally posted by KristofT

But it’s not released trough the brewery.

Uli as wellbas chat rebelle can’t be added here, they’re not official breweries, nor blenders. They blend homebrew style.
Adding the beers as oud beersel, for instance, would not be a good option, since they are not reaponsible for the blend. Ergo, they are not responsible for the beer.

Not arguing that they need an entry on Ratebeer - since they're not commercially available it would only pollute the database. And as you rightfully point out, Oud Beersel is not responsible for the beer served.

Just clarifying that serving and selling home-made lambic blends at festivals is not illegal from an excise perspective, unlike serving home brew. Oud Beersel will have paid the excise duty as soon as the lambic left their premises (or at least they are supposed to). Once duty is paid, the beer can move freely within the country.