does the triangle have what it takes

Reads 490 • Replies 9 • Started Tuesday, April 21, 2015 8:10:25 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

OldGrowth
beers 3472 º places 204 º 20:10 Tue 4/21/2015

to put together a RB gathering proposal?
my instinct is no, but suppose it depends on what people would be willing to do logistically, ( do you bus to the piedmont)
just a random thought, back to hockey

kbutler1
beers 1383 º places 107 º 07:42 Wed 4/22/2015

Are there even enough RB’ers down here to make a good push?

italarican
beers 1548 º places 115 º 08:58 Wed 4/22/2015

It’s a great and growing area, but I don’t think The Triangle is ready for primetime. If we could squish the state in so that Asheville and Charlotte were more readily accessible from there, a great proposal could be made (though Asheville just had RBWG in 2014).

italarican
beers 1548 º places 115 º 09:03 Wed 4/22/2015

Originally posted by kbutler1
Are there even enough RB’ers down here to make a good push?

There are probably enough members and, just as key, members active with some of the local businesses to put something together, though it’d take a lot of work and collaboration. I believe there are only 1/2 active RB members in Asheville who did a lot of behind the scenes work to make a great RBWG.

Drake
admin
beers 21771 º places 1252 º 09:54 Wed 4/22/2015

Depending on the timing I might be able to help organize something.

What three places would you consider to the be the biggest draws for an outsider?

OldStyleCubFan
beers 77 º places 15 º 14:10 Wed 4/22/2015

There was a time where there was an active enough group to pull it off but we didn’t have the breweries. Now that we have the breweries, I’m not sure we have the crew with the desire to make it happen.

OldGrowth
beers 3472 º places 204 º 06:27 Thu 4/30/2015

Originally posted by Drake
Depending on the timing I might be able to help organize something.

What three places would you consider to the be the biggest draws for an outsider?

in Raleigh I like Lonerider and Trophy the best, though some like Lynnwood grill, I just didn’t have agreat first experience there, Busy Bee or Raleigh Times Downtown for Bars
Durham, Fullsteam is a fun place, of course Sam’s Quik stop for bottle shop, Tyler’s in Durham has a great outdoor area, that could accommodate a large group and I think would be able to add a special keg or two with planning,
Hoping Ponysarus in Durham gets up and running soon, couple others sound promising, but we’ve all read things that sound good only to be so so.
Chapel Hii/Carrboro has Steel String brewing and Beer Study, though both are small and could be overwhelmed ny a large crowd and their regualr business
I have’t looked in a bit but there is a brew tour company inthe area, that might help, http://www.beltlinebrewtours.com
so that could help get out to places like Haw River, Duck Rabbit, Foothills.
my recent trip to Wilmington showed promise with two breweries, Wilmington and Broomtail, though that’s a couple hours each way, don’t know what the longest trip that’s happened with a gathering.

OldGrowth
beers 3472 º places 204 º 06:43 Thu 4/30/2015

Travlr
beers 33887 º places 4583 º 07:01 Thu 4/30/2015

Originally posted by OldGrowth

my recent trip to Wilmington showed promise with two breweries, Wilmington and Broomtail, though that’s a couple hours each way, don’t know what the longest trip that’s happened with a gathering.
During the Asheville gathering we bussed out to Oskar Blues in Brevard, about an hour trip each way. But Oskar Blues paid for the busses and supplied the beer as well. People will just count it as one more opportunity for a bottle share, and if there are kegs on the bus, that’s a bonus.

TURDFERGUSON
beers 4067 º places 154 º 16:45 Thu 5/7/2015

No. We may have the breweries in terms of numbers, but I don’t think we have the quality, still, in my opinion. The NC RB crew is definitely not what it once was although there is a ton more craft brew enthusiasts in the area now as evidenced by the Triangle Beer Enthusiasts facebook group. But the main difference I see between the old and the new orders is community. Although the numbers are greater now, I feel like the sense of community has been lost and that is sad to me and one of the main things I miss about being so active on RB.