Don’t be a craft beer douchebag

Reads 4217 • Replies 21 • Started Friday, January 23, 2015 7:24:27 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Art
beers 3223 º places 131 º 19:28 Sat 1/24/2015

I watched the video. It’s a little dramatic if you ask me. I don’t see this big riff that will split the craft beer enthusiasts into two camps. As with anything, there different types of people in the world and as craft beer gets bigger, those type of people get involved in the hobby. There are people who like to brag, people who like to collect and complete lists, and people who like to share. Sometimes you can be all three, sometimes none, etc.

User52877
places 3 º 19:51 Sat 1/24/2015

Originally posted by artmcd8
I watched the video. It’s a little dramatic if you ask me. I don’t see this big riff that will split the craft beer enthusiasts into two camps. As with anything, there different types of people in the world and as craft beer gets bigger, those type of people get involved in the hobby. There are people who like to brag, people who like to collect and complete lists, and people who like to share. Sometimes you can be all three, sometimes none, etc.

I have run into a couple, but I agree they are few and far between. I think if you dig a bit further into their life you will find they are dicks about other things too, not just beer.

HornyDevil
01:36 Sun 1/25/2015

Originally posted by estover

I have run into a couple, but I agree they are few and far between. I think if you dig a bit further into their life you will find they are dicks about other things too, not just beer.

I think that the problem with these types of people is that they tend to be the proverbial "squeaky wheel", so it seems like there are more of them even though they are, by far, in the minority.

cheap
beers 8850 º places 328 º 07:56 Sun 1/25/2015

There are people who like to brag, people who like to collect and complete lists, and people who like to share. Sometimes you can be all three, sometimes none, etc.

When I first started into the tasting scene, I observed way too many of those who were of the first camp.

That’s why I’m kind of quite during the tastings. I don’t have enough knowledge about how its made to really comment fundamentally on the brews. I just know what tastes good IMHO.

James is right on. At many of these tastings there would be one or two who totally dominated the get together with all their self taught thoughts.

lithy
beers 2996 º places 156 º 09:39 Sun 1/25/2015

So after watching the video, I see some truth here. It is a little dramatic. Of course that’s kind of just what gets attention on the internet, but that’s another conversation.

For all I typed earlier, I will fully admit that I have had about two incidents in the nearly 4 years I’ve been here where I have witnessed behavior that would make me shake my head. The reason for this is that I generally don’t even bother to attend the sort of events that have the hallmarks of becoming the quote-unquote shitshows.

It does sound a bit like Chris (who I am not familiar with outside of this single video) might be trying to play both sides. Showing up at rare beer releases or insane tap takeovers and then bemoaning the fact that he is getting shut out of the good stuff. I could be wrong, but I can see where Art is coming from.

He does seem to single out RB/BA/Untappd, and while I would say that they are not the sole source of this problem, I will admit that I think the types of people he describes ultimately end up on one of those sites. That really isn’t a critique of the websites as much as the fact that anyone interested in beer will eventually stumble upon one of them. Of course even among those audiences there are a spectrum of people, although I would say that there are reasonable generalities that can be made about each one in how they differ but also how they are the same.

My ultimate suggestion for Chris (even though I suspect half of his commentary is motivated by the clicks) is to simply take his own words to heart. Enjoy beer more, ignore people more. Find the places where you know there is great, readily available beer if the release scene is not giving you any joy.

User52877
places 3 º 16:25 Sun 1/25/2015

Originally posted by cheap
When I first started into the tasting scene, I observed way too many of those who were of the first camp.

That’s why I’m kind of quite during the tastings. I don’t have enough knowledge about how its made to really comment fundamentally on the brews. I just know what tastes good IMHO.

I too have very little knowledge of the intricacies of the brewing process, but absolutely love listening to those that do. I have resolved myself to just plain enjoy the hell out of good beer. While I make an attempt to get some one off stuff, it is far down on my list of things to do. Hell my favorite beer to drink on a regular bases is a brewed by Unibroue, a Trader Joe beer. I have 12 cases in the cellar ranging from 2010-14. Sometimes I play down what I do know at family get togethers to avoid even the appearance of being ’that guy’.

HornyDevil
16:37 Sun 1/25/2015

Sometimes I play down what I do know at family get togethers to avoid even the appearance of being ’that guy’.

Funny that you say that. I do it all the time as well. I figure that unless I’m with you guys or other beer people who actually know and enjoy talking about beer, nobody wants to know what I know about beer. Same thing goes for me being a Chiropractor. Can’t stand when people want to talk about their health issues with me once they find out that fact. If I wanted to talk about that stuff on the weekends, I’d have weekend hours.

User52877
places 3 º 17:24 Mon 1/26/2015

Originally posted by HornyDevil
Sometimes I play down what I do know at family get togethers to avoid even the appearance of being ’that guy’.

Funny that you say that. I do it all the time as well. I figure that unless I’m with you guys or other beer people who actually know and enjoy talking about beer, nobody wants to know what I know about beer. Same thing goes for me being a Chiropractor. Can’t stand when people want to talk about their health issues with me once they find out that fact. If I wanted to talk about that stuff on the weekends, I’d have weekend hours.

You have no idea how many times I wanted to ask you about my back, shoulder, elbow wrist and knees. I’m glad I didn’t.

HornyDevil
17:30 Mon 1/26/2015

You have no idea how many times I wanted to ask you about my back, shoulder, elbow wrist and knees. I’m glad I didn’t.

You’d be OK doing it, Eugene. When strangers do it, however, that’s a different story.

lithy
beers 2996 º places 156 º 08:23 Tue 1/27/2015

How about list your parts that ARE working instead.