Essential Information for Brewery Place Reviews

Reads 1198 • Replies 22 • Started Thursday, September 22, 2016 2:06:44 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

after4ever
admin
beers 8025 º places 322 º 00:46 Fri 9/23/2016

Originally posted by blipp
Appreciate the input, all.

Actually a few of the suggestions here remind me of my hesitancy to rate places after only one visit... How can you truly know a place after one visit on a Tuesday afternoon?

Easy fix--

"This is a placeholder rate. Got a lot of info, but only one visit. Quiet weekday afternoon."

That way everyone with two brain cells knows what they’re getting.

fly
beers 1490 º places 271 º 00:53 Fri 9/23/2016

Originally posted by after4ever

Actually a few of the suggestions here remind me of my hesitancy to rate places after only one visit... How can you truly know a place after one visit on a Tuesday afternoon?

Easy fix--

"This is a placeholder rate. Got a lot of info, but only one visit. Quiet weekday afternoon."

That way everyone with two brain cells knows what they’re getting.

Must you be so reasonable?

Or know a beer after only having it once?

Travlr
beers 33916 º places 4601 º 05:48 Fri 9/23/2016

Originally posted by ContemplateBeer

all are just a snapshot in time. I try to update my place ratings periodically. Much more frequently than I update my beer ratings anyway

Originally posted by Travlr
Originally posted by ContemplateBeer

all are just a snapshot in time. I try to update my place ratings periodically. Much more frequently than I update my beer ratings anyway
Which is much appreciated, since good place rates are hard to come by. I will say this much- place ratings are much more negatively affected by the "snapshot" mindset of rating than beer ratings. Even a quality place could have a bad hour, moment, etc. where things aren’t going as usual.

brokensail
admin
beers 21480 º places 1691 º 10:05 Fri 9/23/2016

So many places will only be visited just once, particularly any places you go to when traveling.

I don’t think it’s unfair to rate a place based on one experience at all, it’s just a single data point. And, let’s say it’s a local brewery that you visit and it’s terrible, maybe you try it out once more to see if they’ve improved, but probably you let that one visit be reason enough to not go back.

after4ever
admin
beers 8025 º places 322 º 11:14 Fri 9/23/2016

Seriously, if we worry about ratings skewing the impression of a place, then we need MORE rates to normalize the overall scores! The more people weigh in on places, or anything else, the more we can get at the broadest truth of it.

trapped
beers 7516 º places 471 º 11:29 Fri 9/23/2016

True, but then life is too short (or at least resources are) for a longitudinal study on any place :)

StefanSD
beers 2449 º places 57 º 11:46 Fri 9/23/2016

Seriously, if we worry about ratings skewing the impression of a place, then we need MORE rates to normalize the overall scores! The more people weigh in on places, or anything else, the more we can get at the broadest truth of it.

Agree. Fact is we suffer by lack of place input. Take for example tiny Horsefly brewing in Montrose CO. 93 ratings on Yelp with 46 people submitting pictures, On Ratebeer, 4 ratings of Horsefly. If I need info on a place Yelp is a better source. There is no way Yelp should cover beer places better than RB, but there it is, and this is not an isolated example.

On an unrelated note.
I would like it if brewpubs and bars that rotate taps would focus a webcam on their menu chalkboard and send this to their internet site. I could be tempted to visit places more often if I see something new and interesting.

rennat42
beers 5366 º places 205 º 11:53 Fri 9/23/2016

Originally posted by StefanSD

Agree. Fact is we suffer by lack of place input. Take for example tiny Horsefly brewing in Montrose CO. 93 ratings on Yelp with 46 people submitting pictures, On Ratebeer, 4 ratings of Horsefly. If I need info on a place Yelp is a better source. There is no way Yelp should cover beer places better than RB, but there it is, and this is not an isolated example.

On an unrelated note.
I would like it if brewpubs and bars that rotate taps would focus a webcam on their menu chalkboard and send this to their internet site. I could be tempted to visit places more often if I see something new and interesting.

Completely agree with both points. I find myself using Yelp for places much more frequently. Especially to determine if the place does flights. That’s why I really want a "Serves Flights" checkbox on places. The best way I determine now is usually through photos on Yelp.

I also would frequent certain places a lot more if I could see a current taplist. Tons of places around here that have sporadic rotation and I hate going to a place to see I’ve had everything. I feel obligated then to stay for at least 1 drink, so instead I just visit less so I know there will be at least something new hopefully.