Etching on the bottom of a beer glass

Reads 36481 • Replies 46 • Started Wednesday, August 8, 2012 9:17:44 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

after4ever
admin
beers 8025 º places 322 º 14:14 Wed 8/8/2012

Originally posted by NobleSquirrel
Originally posted by InvalidStout
Properly made beer will form a head without any etching on the glass.

Some styles won’t hold a head due to the breakdown of proteins and the drop in pH...

Some beers can be properly made and still not show much head, and some crappy beers form a head. Head isn’t 100% correlated to good practice in brewing.

The nucleation points are more to create nucleation columns, as has been mentioned. They make a lighter-bodied, lighter-colored beer look especially nice in the glass.

NobleSquirrel
beers 3437 º places 209 º 14:28 Wed 8/8/2012

Originally posted by after4ever
Originally posted by NobleSquirrel
Originally posted by InvalidStout
Properly made beer will form a head without any etching on the glass.

Some styles won’t hold a head due to the breakdown of proteins and the drop in pH...

Some beers can be properly made and still not show much head, and some crappy beers form a head. Head isn’t 100% correlated to good practice in brewing.

The nucleation points are more to create nucleation columns, as has been mentioned. They make a lighter-bodied, lighter-colored beer look especially nice in the glass.

More often then not, dirty glassware is the culprit in terms of lack of head, not the beer.

iowaherkeye
beers 2703 º places 29 º 16:38 Wed 8/8/2012

Originally posted by GT2
What if the glass was etched EVERYWHERE inside? Would the head erupt all over the place? I’ll have to try it out on some Angel’s Share.

Just pour in a styrofoam cup and see what happens. Same thing.

BelgBeerGeek
beers 1307 º places 38 º 16:41 Wed 8/8/2012

Originally posted by yespr
Originally posted by LinusStick
Im hearing that etched glass on he bottom of a beer glass keeps the bubbles going through the beer longer. Sounds ridiculous to me but I wanted to see if that’s accurate before I call this guy an idiot. He’s saying it’s science, I’m saying he’s a hillbilly

Find a Chimay glass and watch once the initial foam from pouring is gone and you will see how new foam is constantly being generated at the midst of the surface, there is a small Chimay logo edged at the bottom of the glass that creates this. im sure other glasses have the same principle.

/Jesper

yes the duvel glass has a little D etched in it :-)

LinusStick
beers 3744 º places 66 º 18:02 Wed 8/8/2012

Originally posted by GT2
What is a Linus Stick exactly?

It would be a waste of bandwidth and your brain cells to explain. My avatar is an example of a Linus Stick but there are hundreds of others

xscottypx
beers 104 º 19:11 Wed 8/8/2012

Use etched glasses for dark beers and the etches turn dark from simple hand washing. I stopped using mine.

BBB63
beers 6567 º places 146 º 19:31 Wed 8/8/2012

Originally posted by xscottypx
Use etched glasses for dark beers and the etches turn dark from simple hand washing. I stopped using mine.

really... not once in all these years have I had that issue.

Ernest
beers 9435 º places 229 º 20:17 Wed 8/8/2012

Originally posted by pepsiedcan
The glasses I have with etching definitely help make my beer go flat faster.

This. I’ve long hated glasses with internal etchings for that reason...it’s just a gimmick IMHO. I think it was the Super des Fagnes glass that had the worst one I’ve ever seen...a giant smiley face at the bottom, about the size of a US nickel...that thing would kill the carbonation in five minutes.

RojoRhino
11:18 Tue 1/22/2013

I have a couple of glasses like that, I’m not sure if it’s best for every beer, but it’s perfect for the kind of beer I love (double IPA’s mostly). It keeps a small head going the whole time you’re drinking it, and I think it really pulls out more flavor

ruttroshaggy
places 17 º 11:34 Tue 1/22/2013

The best example I can think of is the etching in the Rochefort glass. After you pour a 10 in there it the head keeps foaming lightly and expanding for a looooong time. Pour a 10 in a non-etched glass and the head dissipates fairly fast.