European Recommendations in: Warsaw, Krakow, Prague,Vienna and Munich

Reads 1486 • Replies 12 • Started Wednesday, April 13, 2016 12:23:13 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

BigDaddyC4
12:23 Wed 4/13/2016

Hello all,

I am going to to Europe from May 22nd-June 9th and am going to the cites stated in the title and I would love to get some recomendations on what interesting and popular beers to try in these cities. I am also looking for some beers to introduce to my family as they do not drink beer currently.

Any opionions are welcome!
Thank You!

craftycarl21
beers 2338 º places 93 º 12:41 Wed 4/13/2016

First recommendation is to use RB Places. It’s served me very well across Europe.

Warsaw:
Kufle i Kapsle -- amazing bar. Cozy, great selection. If they have Pinta Imperator Balticyki in bottle, drink one. or maybe two or three.

Jabeerwocky: Down the street from Kufle i Kapsle. Similar concept, a bit more new and sterile, still very good list. The area that both of these bars is in seems one of the hot restaurant/bar neighborhoods in Warsaw.

Chmielarnia: Strange basement Indian/Thai joint, but great beer selection and really passionate staff.

Same Krafty: Didn’t do it for me. Disinterested staff, OK but uninspired selection.

PiwPaw: Cool if you’re in the area, probably one or two things you’ll want to try, but certainly not better than the first three mentioned.

Generally, drink beer from AleBrowar, Pinta, Kormoran, Pracownia Piwa, Widawa.

Prague:
Was here 5 years ago, but when I was there Zly Casy was incredible and worth navigating the train line outside of the city to get to it. Strahov at the top of the hill on the castle side of the river was an amazing place to look over the city and drink a damn good hefeweizen. Otherwise, drink as much fresh Urquell with locals as you can.

Vienna:
Tough city for beer. 7 Stern was better than 1516 when I was there. Liechtenthaler was a cool spot. Bevog and Gusswerk were tough to find. Go out to the Viennese Woods and drink wine at a heuriger. I went to Weinhof Zimmermann and had an unbelievably good time with amazing food.

Munich: Drink Bavarian beer. Find an authentic biergarten somewhere outside of the city center.

JK
beers 7296 º places 442 º 13:10 Wed 4/13/2016

Munich: i would not bother seeking out specific beers, but instead, seek atmosphere. Go to the beer gardens in the English Garden and go to the Hofbrau house.

SinH4
beers 15469 º places 416 º 13:31 Wed 4/13/2016

Originally posted by craftycarl21
Vienna:
Tough city for beer. 7 Stern was better than 1516 when I was there. Liechtenthaler was a cool spot. Bevog and Gusswerk were tough to find. Go out to the Viennese Woods and drink wine at a heuriger. I went to Weinhof Zimmermann and had an unbelievably good time with amazing food.

Munich: Drink Bavarian beer. Find an authentic biergarten somewhere outside of the city center.

Obtaining Bevog is much easier nowadays, you can even get them in Supermarkets. Siebenstern, 1516 and Lichtenthaler are the classic places in Vienna. There are a few "new" crafty bars, but they’re not very interesting for you, since the "crafty" places are just not on par with the American ones yet.

Munich: There is the Tap House with lots of taps (again, not on par with American lots-of-taps bars), but you can find some classic Bavarians there.

However, I would suggest you take a little ride outside to Aying to have a nice dinner with Ayinger beer or, if the weather is nice, take a hike to Kloster Andechs.

creppyiceman
beers 3498 º places 60 º 16:56 Wed 4/13/2016

Kraków : must go places
Multi Qulti - tap bar with big selection of Polish and European beers,20 taps,big collection of bottles.

Tap House- Pracownia Piwa’s bar with mainly their beers but they usually have stuff from other polish breweries,

Viva la Pinta- Pinta’s bar with both their and other’s brewieries beers

All three are located in historical center of Krakow ( old market square),and there are close to each other.

In Kazimierz district you can find Strefa Piwa Pub and Omerta, there are decent but not as good as those three I mentioned before.

gunnar
beers 14335 º places 1096 º 02:48 Thu 4/14/2016

Prague:
For traditional Czech beer & food head to:
U Vodoucha, Jagellonska 21, Metro A- Jiriho z Podebrad or
Kulovy Blesk, Sokolska 13, Metro C- I.P.Pavlova

RB places with a wide selection:
Zlý Casy, Cestmírova 5,
Beer Geek Bar, Vinohradska 988/62

Places with nice view and beer:
Klášterní Pivovar Strahov, Strahovské nádvorí 301
T- Anker on top of Kotva shopping center, Namesty Republiky

Center:
U Medvidku- Na Perstyne 7
U Tri Ruzi- Husova 10

jjsint
beers 7743 º places 1335 º 03:23 Thu 4/14/2016

Chmielarnia was my top pick in Warsaw. 15 taps, not so much the quantity but the selection was superb. Just has a nosey on their website - http://www.chmielarnia.waw.pl/ - loads of amazing beer, mostly but not limited to Polish craft.

Marduk
beers 22020 º places 968 º 04:22 Mon 4/25/2016

Originally posted by creppyiceman
In Kazimierz district you can find Strefa Piwa Pub and Omerta, there are decent but not as good as those three I mentioned before.

2 years ago Omerta was place to go like 110%. I wonder what has changed?

Saeglopur
beers 3930 º places 165 º 05:32 Mon 4/25/2016

In Vienna I can also recommend the new Beaver Brewing Company, an American style brewpub with modern craft beer styles.
Best bottle shop for small Austrian breweries is Beer Store Vienna. BeerLovers is the best bottle shop overall, although their focus is on international stuff, but they also have breweries like Bevog.

FatPhil
beers 26158 º places 995 º 14:38 Mon 4/25/2016

There’s a small posse from Estonia doing a similar route (at least Warsaw and Prague - for the festival) at a similar time. Maybe we can do an in-person trade if you can bring anything interesting from MN, and our paths will be crossing (we’ve not 100% fixed our plans yet). Drop us a beer mail if you’re interested.

But as the others say - look at the place reviews (ignore the blank reviews, pay more attention to what the ones who actually can be arsed to type in a review have to say). The places section is one of RB’s most valuable resources IMHO,

Travlr
beers 33916 º places 4601 º 14:46 Mon 4/25/2016

Originally posted by FatPhil
look at the place reviews (ignore the blank reviews, pay more attention to what the ones who actually can be arsed to type in a review have to say). The places section is one of RB’s most valuable resources IMHO,

not to sidetrack the OP too much, but what’s the deal with the blank place reviews?