Ex-Yu (Croatia, Slovenia, Serbia etc.) thread

Reads 10565 • Replies 71 • Started Tuesday, July 9, 2013 5:26:16 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Marko
admin
beers 17803 º places 867 º 05:26 Tue 7/9/2013

Because we won’t be getting the metro/board we deserve ( :P ) any time soon, this is a placeholder thread for any discussions regarding beers & places for the countries of former Yugoslavia -> a term which I’m using as some of us from Slovenia and Croatia quite rightly take offense at being (incorrectly or partly incorrectly) being called Balkans or something like that.

I’m sure that a lot of people will be traveling here this summer, and this is the place to ask any of us whatever you wish to know.

Također, ovo je misto di možemo chatat na vlastitim jezicima, da se uključe i oni kojima engleski i nije jača strana.

Marko
admin
beers 17803 º places 867 º 05:50 Tue 7/9/2013

I da, da razbijem led.

U Srbiji je izgleda krenuo prilicno zanimljiv projekt, iako ne znam o cemu se tocno radi. Ima li tko više informacija?
http://kabinet.rs/

sebletitje
beers 11868 º places 491 º 05:56 Tue 7/9/2013

You mean the Balkans is not a country?

Marko
admin
beers 17803 º places 867 º 06:04 Tue 7/9/2013

Originally posted by sebletitje
You mean the Balkans is not a country?

It’s a planet.

Marko
admin
beers 17803 º places 867 º 07:38 Wed 7/10/2013

Further news:

So, the brewpub that turned to a micro with proprietary outlets and then to a brewpub with proprietary outlets and a bottling line, Medvedgrad, probably the biggest micro/craft brewer in Croatia ever since Licanka went out of that category, released its first new beer since 2005 -> a 4.2% lager brewed with sour cherries.

Unfortunately, despite making the beer with real fruit, and managing not to make it sweet (it’s not sour either), they managed to produce a beer that’s uniteresting, slightly messy and not refreshing - basically by far their worst beer. You can try it (and rate it!) anywhere in their chain of pubs, currently on a promo price of 9KN for 0.33l.

luttonm
beers 7592 º places 248 º 01:49 Thu 7/11/2013

Oh Marko, you’re making me want to hop the next train there just to get one of the first tastes of it.. or, not. sounds like that one can wait.

Marko
admin
beers 17803 º places 867 º 02:12 Thu 7/11/2013

BUT IT’S 9KN NOW!+?!?)52’682

Unless they realize that they are selling crap and cut it. Which is actually likely considering that I haven’t encountered a single person who liked it so far and I’ve spoken with at least 10 of them. Oooorrrrr... they revise the recipe and develop something palatable and you end up not having to try this one. :p

Travlr
beers 33887 º places 4585 º 08:31 Thu 7/11/2013

Thanks for starting this thread!
My big trip this year is already planned (New Zealand in August), but I would like to visit the Planet of Balkans in the spring. I spent two weeks in Croatia in 2004 and it was probably the best vacation trip I’ve ever done. This time I’d like to focus on B&H, Serbia, Montenegro, Kosovo, FYROM & Albania. I might fly into Zagreb just as an additional excuse to include Croatia as well. Is all of this possible in, say, a three or four week trip? Just to get a taste of the various areas?

Marko
admin
beers 17803 º places 867 º 09:21 Thu 7/11/2013

Yeah, it should be possible. Zagreb’s pretty well connected with the Balkan countries :), and it’s the nexus of beer culture in Croatia anyway -> you can get nearly everything there. 3 nights tops there and you’ll more or less run out both of new beers to try and places to see.

There are regular trains (and buses) to Belgrade, and it’s a looong ride (way longer than it should be) and a more or less boring landscape (plains. just plains). Belgrade is also doable beer-wise in a night or two, but there’s plenty of interesting places to see, especially if you have a good guide. You might want to make sure you’re there for the Belgrade Beer Fest, usually in mid-August. http://www.belgradebeerfest.com/

There you can get a Balkan Flexipass ticket, which should help:
http://www.raileurope.com/rail-tickets-passes/balkan-flexipass/index.html

I can put you in touch with a guy a know that did exactly that same route numerous times :).

Travlr
beers 33887 º places 4585 º 15:43 Thu 7/11/2013

Originally posted by Marko
Yeah, it should be possible. Zagreb’s pretty well connected with the Balkan countries :), and it’s the nexus of beer culture in Croatia anyway -> you can get nearly everything there. 3 nights tops there and you’ll more or less run out both of new beers to try and places to see.

There are regular trains (and buses) to Belgrade, and it’s a looong ride (way longer than it should be) and a more or less boring landscape (plains. just plains). Belgrade is also doable beer-wise in a night or two, but there’s plenty of interesting places to see, especially if you have a good guide. You might want to make sure you’re there for the Belgrade Beer Fest, usually in mid-August. http://www.belgradebeerfest.com/

There you can get a Balkan Flexipass ticket, which should help:
http://www.raileurope.com/rail-tickets-passes/balkan-flexipass/index.html

I can put you in touch with a guy a know that did exactly that same route numerous times :).
Excellent! Great info, thanks.

Ibrew2or3
beers 10534 º places 353 º 21:27 Thu 7/11/2013

Great thread. I need to go. Maybe next year. I have like 3rd cousins in and around Split I should probably go visit and share a lager with them before I get too frikin’ old.