Favorite styles to brew and why

Reads 1753 • Replies 31 • Started Tuesday, September 4, 2012 8:24:28 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

HornyDevil
08:24 Tue 9/4/2012

Though this initially felt like a "Who is brewing this weekend?" or "What’s in your fridge?" thread, I hope it comes off differently. In as much as I’d like to find out how the palates of those on this board have changed over the years and how much of that has been driven by commercial trends.

Over the past hundred or so brews I have realized that I really like to brew the beers that I am good at brewing. No surprise there. Light-colored moderate gravity hoppy beers would be the first type. 100% Brett fermentations are the next. I’ve also done beers that were a combination of the two thought processes. Don’t ask me why, but I seem to have a penchant for brewing those two broad styles of beer.

The next category are beers that I like to drink, but are very challenging and there isn’t a whole lot of information out there regarding them. Of course I’m talking about sour beers. My first two attempts were all but undrinkable (though I did) and my third was only a slight improvement over those two. Since then I have combined my penchant of brewing with honey and mixed sour fermentations to pretty decent success and now have five sour beers going, four of which are more classic examples than the wine-strength sour braggots. I still don’t feel like I have a great grasp on the style as far as the end product goes, but what I do feel is that I have a very good idea of the techniques and ingredients that make sour beer what it is. I’m anxious to see if I’m right when I bottle a blueberry and blackberry sour in a couple months.

All of that said, I’ve done a WHOLE BUNCH of experimental beers and some attempts at variations on classic styles that were not "bad" but are nothing that I’d want to brew again. Many of them were tried repeatedly, but there was just something about the ingredient or the style that just didn’t work out and I just didn’t have the patience or didn’t enjoy the style or concept enough to try to trouble shoot the beer any further.

How about you guys?

NobleSquirrel
beers 3437 º places 209 º 08:26 Tue 9/4/2012

I like to brew milds & lagers. Pretty much any type of lager, though my preference would be an adjunct pilsner. The maize really lightens it up and works great. I also really enjoy making mead.

drowland
beers 11069 º places 430 º 08:31 Tue 9/4/2012

Just about anything, though I tend to brew weird things, so to speak. Basically, I like to brew what I like to drink (and my wife, to a certain extent), which is often things I can’t buy off the shelf or at breweries often. Usually this is dark beers or fruit beers with stuff in them. I also love brewing really hoppy beers because I love drinking really hoppy beers.

HornyDevil
08:38 Tue 9/4/2012

Originally posted by NobleSquirrel
I like to brew milds & lagers. Pretty much any type of lager, though my preference would be an adjunct pilsner. The maize really lightens it up and works great.

So . . . mostly highly sessionable beers?

I also really enjoy making mead.

What about mead makes it enjoyable? Never made a proper mead, but I have experimented with quite a few varietals of honey, so I’m curious.

radarsock
beers 1226 º places 112 º 08:45 Tue 9/4/2012

Haven’t brewed in a while, however I enjoyed blending the most. I’d often work with rye, oats and wheat therefore the actually style may indeed be regarded as Specialty Grain. Arguably enjoyed alternative grains the most. Anyway, I blended together a Witbier with a rye IPA. It came out decent.

HornyDevil
08:47 Tue 9/4/2012

Originally posted by drowland
which is often things I can’t buy off the shelf or at breweries often.

This is a fantastic point and is one of the reasons that I brew as many braggots as I do. I think there might be one or two examples available locally and when I look at the price points of them, and a great deal of the other "super premium" beers out there, I find that it is MUCH more cost effective to brew them myself. ESPECIALLY when one considers that my consistency is better than theirs most of the time. Now, don’t get me wrong, there are beers out there that are worth the pricetag, but a great deal of the one-offs aren’t them.

Originally posted by drowland
Usually this is dark beers or fruit beers with stuff in them.

Not a whole lot of those styles in Florida?

temporrari
beers 400 º places 12 º 09:00 Tue 9/4/2012

I mainly brew highly hopped IPAs in the 6-7% range. I find them fairly easy to brew, and the freshness of kegged homebrew can’t be beat. It’s rare lately that I drink a commercial IPA that I think beats my own. Somewhat due to freshness, and somewhat I think because I usually use hops like Simcoe and Citra in copious quantities. To me, those hops give the flavors and aromas that IPA is all about.

I do enjoy brewing a stout and a Belgian occasionally as well, but I always find myself longing for hops when I have one of those beers on tap. I only have one beer ready at a time. It’s easier for me to run out and buy a bottle of darker beer than it is to grab a fresh, tasty IPA. And even though I’m not entirely displeased with my previous attempts at stouts and Belgians, I’m not quite as good at brewing those styles. So, what I can buy is usually a bit better.

I will admit I’m still new to all grain brewing, so I’ve not made a stout or Belgian without extract. But I have plans to do so, come cooler weather. Hopefully, I will get better at brewing them.

Overall, my brewing interest really does lie with IPA, standard strength stouts, and medium to strong Belgians. My favorites styles to drink. I would love to try brewing saison sometime.

NobleSquirrel
beers 3437 º places 209 º 09:29 Tue 9/4/2012

Originally posted by HornyDevil
I like to brew milds & lagers. Pretty much any type of lager, though my preference would be an adjunct pilsner. The maize really lightens it up and works great.

So . . . mostly highly sessionable beers?

Yeah as it’s what I prefer to drink. I also like the fact that I’m able to brew really clean beers and win awards for them.

I also really enjoy making mead.

What about mead makes it enjoyable? Never made a proper mead, but I have experimented with quite a few varietals of honey, so I’m curious.

I like the process, the speed at which it can be completed and the finished product. It’s also a lot easier to experiment with spices and fruit than beer is due to the lack of carbonation (most of the time).

HornyDevil
09:29 Tue 9/4/2012

Originally posted by temporrari
I find them fairly easy to brew, and the freshness of kegged homebrew can’t be beat. It’s rare lately that I drink a commercial IPA that I think beats my own. Somewhat due to freshness

Correct.

and somewhat I think because I usually use hops like Simcoe and Citra in copious quantities. To me, those hops give the flavors and aromas that IPA is all about.

Absolutely. If you’re not using a varietal with big tropical fruit flavors and aromas, your hoppy beer will be lacking. However, those varietals need the juxtaposition of the grapefruity and/or herbal hops to balance them.

I only have one beer ready at a time.

That’s something I haven’t had to worry about. My homebrew cellar is 100s of bottles strong with probably 20 - 30 different beers at any given time.

I would love to try brewing saison sometime.

Simple grainbill (or extract), big hops (Saphir is a good choice), and 3711. You can thank me later.

tomer
beers 6537 º places 147 º 09:45 Tue 9/4/2012

Mead is my favourite at the moment.
I’m about to make a very sweet one with date honey which i’l spice with cardamom in the secondary, then i’l probablymake another one with fresh pomegranate juice added which should give it fantastic colour and flavour

HornyDevil
09:55 Tue 9/4/2012

Originally posted by tomer
I’m about to make a very sweet one with date honey

I’d be interested to find out what type of character this honey has.

Originally posted by tomer
another one with fresh pomegranate juice added which should give it fantastic colour and flavour

Ever consider using/making pomegranate molasses?

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer