Garrett Oliver called out by Shelton Bros, responds

Reads 7681 • Replies 80 • Started Wednesday, May 2, 2012 11:39:01 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Avenuepub
places 10 º 14:28 Fri 5/4/2012

Originally posted by Cletus
Originally posted by Avenuepub

I’d like to know why you feel that way. I don’t mean that as a challenge but I’ve heard a lot of griping on this board about Shelton....but no one has said anything concrete except they feel they are arrogant. If I stopped doing business with all brewers who were arrogant I would have anything left to sell. The industry is rife with opinionated arrogance. The pricing of their beers( the usual complaint) in many markets has very little to do with Sheltons mark up...so I’d like to know why you...and others feel they are so awful. Again...my experience may just be my experience but generally when a company wants to screw people...or take advantage that policy and approach don’t change state to state.

I can tell you that in Connecticut, one of the owners got in a pissing match with one of the distributors and because of their stupid bitchiness, the customers of the state had to go to New York for years if they wanted anything imported by Shelton Brothers. That is terrible customer service and has been the case in at least two different markets apparently.

Thats an example that you and i would disagree with. Pulling out or pulling back in a market because your distributor is treating your beer poorly or raping on mark up isnt a bad thing in my opinion. to me thats having the balls to do something about a bad situation that in the long run will help beer drinkers. Is it a pin in the ass to lose that beer? sure it is. We just lost NorthCoast formuch the same reason...but i dont fault Northcoast for wanting to pull out long enough to go with a better distibutor.

thats the nature of the Three tier system...if more breweries were willing to pull out of distributor contracts we might, as a n indsutry, get better service.

None of us have a " right" to their beers( or anyothers for that matter) in our own back yard at the exact price we are willing to pay and its not bad customer service to put your products where they are treated correctly.

SamGamgee
beers 2452 º places 182 º 16:10 Fri 5/4/2012

I’d like to know why you feel that way. I don’t mean that as a challenge but I’ve heard a lot of griping on this board about Shelton....but no one has said anything concrete except they feel they are arrogant. If I stopped doing business with all brewers who were arrogant I would have anything left to sell. The industry is rife with opinionated arrogance. The pricing of their beers( the usual complaint) in many markets has very little to do with Sheltons mark up...so I’d like to know why you...and others feel they are so awful. Again...my experience may just be my experience but generally when a company wants to screw people...or take advantage that policy and approach don’t change state to state.

I can tell you that in Connecticut, one of the owners got in a pissing match with one of the distributors and because of their stupid bitchiness, the customers of the state had to go to New York for years if they wanted anything imported by Shelton Brothers. That is terrible customer service and has been the case in at least two different markets apparently.

Thats an example that you and i would disagree with. Pulling out or pulling back in a market because your distributor is treating your beer poorly or raping on mark up isnt a bad thing in my opinion. to me thats having the balls to do something about a bad situation that in the long run will help beer drinkers. Is it a pin in the ass to lose that beer? sure it is. We just lost NorthCoast formuch the same reason...but i dont fault Northcoast for wanting to pull out long enough to go with a better distibutor.

thats the nature of the Three tier system...if more breweries were willing to pull out of distributor contracts we might, as a n indsutry, get better service.

None of us have a " right" to their beers( or anyothers for that matter) in our own back yard at the exact price we are willing to pay and its not bad customer service to put your products where they are treated correctly.

This is a very good point. Sometimes it’s best to pull out of a market if you are unhappy with how your beer is being treated. Distributors need to be held up to standards, especially if under contract. I find the Shelton’s to be somewhat caustic in their tone when it comes to these matters, but I do get the sense that they care deeply about their product and I respect that. Sometimes you just have to pull the "dick move" in someone else’s eyes to do the right thing for beer.

GodOfThunder
beers 1364 º places 65 º 16:21 Fri 5/4/2012

No offense intended, but Avenue Pub must sell a lot of Monschoff and Jenlain (or, whatever the two brands Shelton forces on distributors while holding back better brands.)

We’ve ordered, and ordered, and ordered, and ordered, and never get what we’ve wanted. We’ve had two separate distributors now, both reporting the same problems with Shelton. Lack of communication, not providing orders, and lack of promotional support. Emails and phone calls are never returned. While other importers like B. United and 12% are consistent with providing product and supporting their product, Shelton is nowhere to be found.

Another reason: we’ve met them in person.

CheesedMan
beers 555 º places 12 º 16:23 Fri 5/4/2012

Originally posted by GodOfThunder
No offense intended, but Avenue Pub must sell a lot of Monschoff and Jenlain (or, whatever the two brands Shelton forces on distributors while holding back better brands.)

We’ve ordered, and ordered, and ordered, and ordered, and never get what we’ve wanted. We’ve had two separate distributors now, both reporting the same problems with Shelton. Lack of communication, not providing orders, and lack of promotional support. Emails and phone calls are never returned. While other importers like B. United and 12% are consistent with providing product and supporting their product, Shelton is nowhere to be found.

Again, GoT and I are in complete agreement.

CheesedMan
beers 555 º places 12 º 16:28 Fri 5/4/2012

You are assuming it had to do with how the beers were being handled. I can tell you that was not why Shelton screwed the Central Florida market.

Avenuepub
places 10 º 17:07 Fri 5/4/2012

well, offense taken...BUT you are wrong. I carry neither jenlain or Monschoff. I DO carry Cantillon, Drie fontenien, Struisse, De Ranke, Blaugie, Haand, Oppigards, De Molen, Mikkeller all on a pretty regular basis. The occasional Narke keg comes my way too:)

That aside...I dont know how you place you orders...or who your sales rep from Shelton is. Shelton doesnt provide " support" for their beer...but neither does 12% or B United. Hell, at least Shelton gives you tap handles. Getting a generic tap handle out of Matthias was an act of God. I place my orders directly with Shelton...my distributor is an idiot. I’d never get beer if I waited for him to order it.

"No offense"...but if you are as nasty when dealing with them directly and ordering their beer as you are on line about them I’m not suprised you dont get what you want. And hear me... I’m not talking about being a suck up. Just polite.

And yes..Ive met them too. The Craft beer industry is full of massive egos and big mouths. If you let arrogance stop you from ordering the beer you want you will not have much on the menu you can order.

Avenuepub
places 10 º 17:18 Fri 5/4/2012

Originally posted by TheCheeseMan

You are assuming it had to do with how the beers were being handled. I can tell you that was not why Shelton screwed the Central Florida market.

I’m sure you have your own version..and I’m sure Shelton has theirs. My point is that an importer has a right to decide where and with whom they want to do business. Breweries all over the country do it. DFH pulled out of mutiple States, Brooklyn has pulled out of some. North Coast recently did it in La...and caused quite bit of pain in my bar as they made a couple of beers that were diffcult to find replacements for. That doesnt make them douchbags...or a jerks. I dont have a right to their beer ... and I dont presume to make their business decisions.

Still all I’m seeing is that you wanted beer and couldnt get it. I want DFH, New Belgium, Terrepin, Allagash and a whole lot of others.....doesnt mean I think they are jerks for not distributing to my market.

Avenuepub
places 10 º 17:21 Fri 5/4/2012

And one more thing. If you need "promotional support" on beers like Cantillon and Struisse you have no business selling them.
"no offense" intended of course.

obguthr
beers 11721 º places 22 º 17:33 Fri 5/4/2012

well, offense taken...BUT you are wrong. I carry neither jenlain or Monschoff. I DO carry Cantillon, Drie fontenien, Struisse, De Ranke, Blaugie, Haand, Oppigards, De Molen, Mikkeller all on a pretty regular basis. The occasional Narke keg comes my way too:)

That aside...I dont know how you place you orders...or who your sales rep from Shelton is. Shelton doesnt provide " support" for their beer...but neither does 12% or B United. Hell, at least Shelton gives you tap handles. Getting a generic tap handle out of Matthias was an act of God. I place my orders directly with Shelton...my distributor is an idiot. I’d never get beer if I waited for him to order it.

"No offense"...but if you are as nasty when dealing with them directly and ordering their beer as you are on line about them I’m not suprised you dont get what you want. And hear me... I’m not talking about being a suck up. Just polite.

And yes..Ive met them too. The Craft beer industry is full of massive egos and big mouths. If you let arrogance stop you from ordering the beer you want you will not have much on the menu you can order.

Emphasis mine. I don’t have a beef with Shelton Bros. They have a nice portfolio. We don’t see much of it in my part of VA, but that’s not my reason for commenting. I want to point out, at least in my area, that the support from 12% and BUI is anything but lacking. Reps from these two importers can often be found educating retailers and participating in special events in my area.

MacBoost
beers 2074 º places 37 º 18:08 Fri 5/4/2012

Question: without Shelton Bros., there is no Cantillon or 3 Fonteinen in the U.S.. True or false?