Germany - brewers fear beer price war!

Reads 8175 • Replies 87 • Started Monday, April 22, 2013 2:56:30 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

DerWeg
beers 2175 º places 48 º 14:56 Mon 4/22/2013

The Artikel.

Aw man I did not know this was happening - I sure hope it doesn’t have a permanent effect on the availability of awesome beer in Germany.

Oakes
admin
beers 30708 º places 1135 º 16:03 Mon 4/22/2013

That’s to be expected when 90% of German brewers have an undifferentiated product. And branding. Most German brewers suck at that, too.

The answer is to start making beers that are distinctive, and do the same with the brands. Then you can avoid getting sucked into price wars.

They don’t study microeconomics in Germany?

graziano85
beers 769 º places 16 º 02:20 Tue 4/23/2013

One big problem there is in Germany: Reinheitsgebot

hopbomber
beers 88 º places 40 º 03:28 Tue 4/23/2013

Originally posted by graziano85
One big problem there is in Germany: Reinheitsgebot

Exactly, it’s archaic and counterproductive in a modern beer market. Fridges full of pils and a handful of hefes will cause price wars. Making distinctive beer would cost more money and will the Germans embrace them? No, Purity translates to quality out there.

graziano85
beers 769 º places 16 º 04:09 Tue 4/23/2013

I regularly go to Munich, and if it’s true that their beers are about all good, in the average, I cannot say that they have different features each other, most of them they are quite all the same, very little differencies, and after a while it’s also boring.
And because the Reinheitsgebot, brewers cannot try anything different (but I’m not sure they would really want)
But this is a problem for us, foreigners, but not for most of the germans, they have no problems to drink the same beer 365 days, when they buy beers, look, they buy 24 bottles boxes, not 2 of this, 3 of that, 1 of this, ecc...
If you lived and worked with them, you sure have seen that if they don’t have strictly rules to observe, a routine, a program, they go in panic...they need rules to know what to do, so they will not change the Reinheitsgebot...but luckily there are not only hell and hefe in this world and I can buy belgians

PS: in Munich it’s incredible that you cannot find a belgian beer shop! in a 2 milions inhabitants city! only their beers! that’s because germans don’t feel they need to change, they don’t need something different...always the same routine, in everything, all life long...I will never understand their lifestyle, sorry.

hopbomber
beers 88 º places 40 º 04:32 Tue 4/23/2013

they have no problems to drink the same beer 365 days, when they buy beers, look, they buy 24 bottles boxes, not 2 of this, 3 of that, 1 of this, ecc...

Thats sadly the same in most countries for the vast majority of swiggers, its certainly the case in UK, Belgium and USA

SVD
beers 6188 º places 329 º 05:16 Tue 4/23/2013

don’t forget The Netherlands, with our great discounts, buy 3 caes of 24 33CL or 20 0.5L bottles and only pay for 2, or such deals :P or one we have with ’’carnaval’’, buy a case of beer and get the second for 1.11 euro (being 11 the foolsnumber connected with carnaval in these parts)

But the best part of german beers, you know what you can expect.
And in the regionin germany where i buy beers, there are very few local beers, most of the beers sold there are the larger nation wide brands.

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 05:43 Tue 4/23/2013

Originally posted by hopbomber
they have no problems to drink the same beer 365 days, when they buy beers, look, they buy 24 bottles boxes, not 2 of this, 3 of that, 1 of this, ecc...

Thats sadly the same in most countries for the vast majority of swiggers, its certainly the case in UK, Belgium and USA

Yes, but many beery countries have a lively and expanding counterculture that allows the market to operate on various levels, with sufficient adventurous & discriminating consumers to support like-minded brewers by paying a bit more for their beer. I’ve seen little sign of that in Germany, where beer seems to be regarded more as a staple commodity food product.

finn1918
beers 241 º places 12 º 08:02 Tue 4/23/2013

I’ve noticed that most of the world (especially the Germans) don’t know or care to learn about the American craft scene. To them, they are the last bastion of "real" beer, and megacorporations like ABInBev, MillerCoors, and Diaego are trying to destroy their traditions and introduce watered-down, adjunct-laden beer. And frankly, I could see their point of view if an ABInBev rep offered them a Bud as "the pinnacle of American quality."

I’d agree than the Reinheitsgebot is archaic, since it was only enacted to stop people from using poisonous herbs in place of hops. But, on the other hand, it effectively keeps adjunct lagers out of the German market, if only at the cost of oatmeal stouts, breakfast stouts, Belgians, and of course pizza-infused beer.

Erlangernick
beers 6 º places 2 º 00:23 Wed 4/24/2013

Originally posted by finn1918
I’ve noticed that most of the world (especially the Germans) don’t know or care to learn about the American craft scene. To them, they are the last bastion of "real" beer, and megacorporations like ABInBev, MillerCoors, and Diaego are trying to destroy their traditions and introduce watered-down, adjunct-laden beer. And frankly, I could see their point of view if an ABInBev rep offered them a Bud as "the pinnacle of American quality."

I’d agree than the Reinheitsgebot is archaic, since it was only enacted to stop people from using poisonous herbs in place of hops.
And to protect the wheat market!
But, on the other hand, it effectively keeps adjunct lagers out of the German market, if only at the cost of oatmeal stouts, breakfast stouts, Belgians, and of course pizza-infused beer.

You *can* brew intersting beer only using malt, hops, yeast, and water though. Sheesh.

Some German brewers do manage this, even with traditional recipes, without trying to brew "craft" [sic] beer!

cgarvieuk
beers 37688 º places 457 º 00:30 Wed 4/24/2013

Originally posted by Erlangernick

You *can* brew intersting beer only using malt, hops, yeast, and water though. Sheesh.

Some German brewers do manage this, even with traditional recipes, without trying to brew "craft" [sic] beer!

and the Reinheitsgebot isnt still in law is it, just custom?

but yeah some great beers can be brewed with the core 4