Germany - brewers fear beer price war!

Reads 8144 • Replies 87 • Started Monday, April 22, 2013 2:56:30 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Erlangernick
beers 6 º places 2 º 02:09 Mon 5/6/2013

Originally posted by pivnizub
"Franconian" beers can’t be listed as one style, that would be a complete nonsense… It is the diversity and the craftmanship that makes them so great. You can feel with every sip, that the brewers really love their products. Nevertheless You may find also bland or even bad beers in Franconia, but compared to all the other parts of Germany it is a paradise. Who needs crappy german industrial Lagers ( like Warsteiner, Veltins or Holsten)… Get Yourself a Mahrs U, a Spezial Rauchbier Märzen, a St. Georgen Kellerbier or a Witzgall Landbier and You’ll be happy!

Only one of those is really worth the effort of seeking out. A second one is worth seeking out if you’re into Rauchbier.

Originally posted by Erlangernick
Originally posted by rauchbierlover
In a country that has invented Mahr’s U, why should people be interested in pineapple, resin-tasting IPA???

OTOH, one could ask, in a country that invented pineapple, resin-tasting IPA, why should people be interested in bland, astringent, uninteresting German beer like Mahr’s U?

When not interested, simply don’t drink it. Ganz einfach! We’re not forcing people to drink boring, flat, uninteresting German beer, so IMHO we should not ask german brewers to do like Americans do. Multikulti is a value, not a limit, IMHO. Autarchy and respect for one’s own roots, too.

There’s so, so much better around -- even on the same bloody street in Bamberg!

Really? Which beer(s) are you referring to? I’m coming back to Oberfranken this summer and I’m up to every kind of recommendation

You *can* brew intersting beer only using malt, hops, yeast, and water though. Sheesh.

Some German brewers do manage this, even with traditional recipes, without trying to brew "craft" [sic] beer!

Genau!
The first who comes to me in mind are Giesinger Märzen, Forschungsbrauerei Pilsissimus, not to mention the "new" Scheneider Tap5, TapX and so and so. Or we can talk about the German IPA of Alewerkstatt, Camba Bavaria, Shoppe Bräu...

Well, what do you want to say about those kinds of IPAs? I would say that some of them do a good job of emulating the resiny, over-sweet US IPA style (which I don’t really like), and some are just badly made.

I just wanted to say that even following the Reinheitsgebot you can brew something different from the average lager. Reinheitsgebot says you should use water, barley malt and hops, but doesn’t say which hop-variety. So if you want to use Cascade, Simcoe, Citra or Goldings to brew your german beers, you can do it. (btw, the Doppel IPA made by Gänstaller with Citra rocks!).

I do agree with you, I’m not so much into IPA style and related and yes, some of what I said is good, something is terrible.

lberges
beers 19 º places 64 º 04:56 Mon 5/6/2013

Originally posted by MannyGoldberg
Brewdog are currently looking at locations to open a bar in Berlin.

Who cares? Just another place to rip-off tourists.

lberges
beers 19 º places 64 º 05:02 Mon 5/6/2013

"Franconian" beers can’t be listed as one style, that would be a complete nonsense… It is the diversity and the craftmanship that makes them so great. You can feel with every sip, that the brewers really love their products. Nevertheless You may find also bland or even bad beers in Franconia, but compared to all the other parts of Germany it is a paradise. Who needs crappy german industrial Lagers ( like Warsteiner, Veltins or Holsten)… Get Yourself a Mahrs U, a Spezial Rauchbier Märzen, a St. Georgen Kellerbier or a Witzgall Landbier and You’ll be happy!

A Witzgall Landbier! My kingdom for a Witzgall!
Only one of those is really worth the effort of seeking out. A second one is worth seeking out if you’re into Rauchbier.

pivnizub
beers 12929 º places 633 º 12:56 Mon 5/6/2013

Originally posted by lberges

A Witzgall Landbier! My kingdom
Witzgall is the most underrated Brauerei here in Germany! Their Landbier is so delicious and so well quaffable… Nearly a reason to cry!

Erlangernick
beers 6 º places 2 º 00:38 Tue 5/7/2013

Was at the Witzgall Keller for the first time this season on Sunday. The Landbier (sometimes AKA "Kellerbier") served bayerisch Anstich (German gravity pour) there (as opposed to the Vollbier at the Gaststätte) was better than it’s been in a long time. Last year, it often seemed a bit thin and over-gassed.

Don’t miss it!

Erlangernick
beers 6 º places 2 º 00:55 Tue 5/7/2013

In a country that has invented Mahr’s U, why should people be interested in pineapple, resin-tasting IPA???

OTOH, one could ask, in a country that invented pineapple, resin-tasting IPA, why should people be interested in bland, astringent, uninteresting German beer like Mahr’s U?

When not interested, simply don’t drink it. Ganz einfach! We’re not forcing people to drink boring, flat, uninteresting German beer, so IMHO we should not ask german brewers to do like Americans do. Multikulti is a value, not a limit, IMHO. Autarchy and respect for one’s own roots, too.

There’s so, so much better around -- even on the same bloody street in Bamberg!

Really? Which beer(s) are you referring to? I’m coming back to Oberfranken this summer and I’m up to every kind of recommendation

The obvious answer is Keesmann -- Pils and the Dunkel are more flavourful than the Mahr’s U.

MannyGoldberg
beers 208 º places 31 º 08:46 Tue 5/7/2013

Originally posted by lberges
Originally posted by MannyGoldberg
Brewdog are currently looking at locations to open a bar in Berlin.

Who cares? Just another place to rip-off tourists.

Yeah the bars are crap but they do have some good guest beers.

lberges
beers 19 º places 64 º 07:04 Thu 5/9/2013

Guest beer is a good british tradition. Rare in Germany because many bars are bound by contract. Wonder what brewdog will serve. Another UK beer? A major German? Or something more interesting, something better than brewdog?