RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Non-US | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Germany - brewers fear beer price war!


read 4945 times • 87 replies • posted 4/22/2013 2:56:30 PM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9

Erlangernick 1:2
Originally posted by pivnizub
"Franconian" beers can’t be listed as one style, that would be a complete nonsense… It is the diversity and the craftmanship that makes them so great. You can feel with every sip, that the brewers really love their products. Nevertheless You may find also bland or even bad beers in Franconia, but compared to all the other parts of Germany it is a paradise. Who needs crappy german industrial Lagers ( like Warsteiner, Veltins or Holsten)… Get Yourself a Mahrs U, a Spezial Rauchbier Märzen, a St. Georgen Kellerbier or a Witzgall Landbier and You’ll be happy!


Only one of those is really worth the effort of seeking out. A second one is worth seeking out if you’re into Rauchbier.
5/6/2013 2:09:03 AM

Private message send the author a private message


rauchbierlover 596:119
Originally posted by Erlangernick
Originally posted by rauchbierlover
In a country that has invented Mahr’s U, why should people be interested in pineapple, resin-tasting IPA???


OTOH, one could ask, in a country that invented pineapple, resin-tasting IPA, why should people be interested in bland, astringent, uninteresting German beer like Mahr’s U?


When not interested, simply don’t drink it. Ganz einfach! We’re not forcing people to drink boring, flat, uninteresting German beer, so IMHO we should not ask german brewers to do like Americans do. Multikulti is a value, not a limit, IMHO. Autarchy and respect for one’s own roots, too.

Originally posted by Erlangernick
There’s so, so much better around -- even on the same bloody street in Bamberg!

Really? Which beer(s) are you referring to? I’m coming back to Oberfranken this summer and I’m up to every kind of recommendation
5/6/2013 4:15:24 AM

Private message send the author a private message


rauchbierlover 596:119
Originally posted by Erlangernick
Originally posted by rauchbierlover
Originally posted by Erlangernick
You *can* brew intersting beer only using malt, hops, yeast, and water though. Sheesh.

Some German brewers do manage this, even with traditional recipes, without trying to brew "craft" [sic] beer!

Genau!
The first who comes to me in mind are Giesinger Märzen, Forschungsbrauerei Pilsissimus, not to mention the "new" Scheneider Tap5, TapX and so and so. Or we can talk about the German IPA of Alewerkstatt, Camba Bavaria, Shoppe Bräu...


Well, what do you want to say about those kinds of IPAs? I would say that some of them do a good job of emulating the resiny, over-sweet US IPA style (which I don’t really like), and some are just badly made.

I just wanted to say that even following the Reinheitsgebot you can brew something different from the average lager. Reinheitsgebot says you should use water, barley malt and hops, but doesn’t say which hop-variety. So if you want to use Cascade, Simcoe, Citra or Goldings to brew your german beers, you can do it. (btw, the Doppel IPA made by Gänstaller with Citra rocks!).

I do agree with you, I’m not so much into IPA style and related and yes, some of what I said is good, something is terrible.
5/6/2013 4:27:49 AM

Private message send the author a private message


lberges 40
Originally posted by MannyGoldberg
Brewdog are currently looking at locations to open a bar in Berlin.

Who cares? Just another place to rip-off tourists.
5/6/2013 4:56:31 AM

Private message send the author a private message


lberges 40
Originally posted by Erlangernick
Originally posted by pivnizub
"Franconian" beers can’t be listed as one style, that would be a complete nonsense… It is the diversity and the craftmanship that makes them so great. You can feel with every sip, that the brewers really love their products. Nevertheless You may find also bland or even bad beers in Franconia, but compared to all the other parts of Germany it is a paradise. Who needs crappy german industrial Lagers ( like Warsteiner, Veltins or Holsten)… Get Yourself a Mahrs U, a Spezial Rauchbier Märzen, a St. Georgen Kellerbier or a Witzgall Landbier and You’ll be happy!

A Witzgall Landbier! My kingdom for a Witzgall!
Only one of those is really worth the effort of seeking out. A second one is worth seeking out if you’re into Rauchbier.
5/6/2013 5:02:18 AM

Private message send the author a private message


premium
pivnizub 8873:469
Originally posted by lberges
Originally posted by Erlangernick
Originally posted by pivnizub
"Franconian" beers can’t be listed as one style, that would be a complete nonsense… It is the diversity and the craftmanship that makes them so great. You can feel with every sip, that the brewers really love their products. Nevertheless You may find also bland or even bad beers in Franconia, but compared to all the other parts of Germany it is a paradise. Who needs crappy german industrial Lagers ( like Warsteiner, Veltins or Holsten)… Get Yourself a Mahrs U, a Spezial Rauchbier Märzen, a St. Georgen Kellerbier or a Witzgall Landbier and You’ll be happy!

A Witzgall Landbier! My kingdom
Only one of those is really worth the effort of seeking out. A second one is worth seeking out if you’re into Rauchbier.
Witzgall is the most underrated Brauerei here in Germany! Their Landbier is so delicious and so well quaffable… Nearly a reason to cry!
5/6/2013 12:56:53 PM

Private message send the author a private message


Erlangernick 1:2
Was at the Witzgall Keller for the first time this season on Sunday. The Landbier (sometimes AKA "Kellerbier") served bayerisch Anstich (German gravity pour) there (as opposed to the Vollbier at the Gaststätte) was better than it’s been in a long time. Last year, it often seemed a bit thin and over-gassed.

Don’t miss it!
5/7/2013 12:38:21 AM

Private message send the author a private message


Erlangernick 1:2
Originally posted by rauchbierlover
Originally posted by Erlangernick
Originally posted by rauchbierlover
In a country that has invented Mahr’s U, why should people be interested in pineapple, resin-tasting IPA???


OTOH, one could ask, in a country that invented pineapple, resin-tasting IPA, why should people be interested in bland, astringent, uninteresting German beer like Mahr’s U?


When not interested, simply don’t drink it. Ganz einfach! We’re not forcing people to drink boring, flat, uninteresting German beer, so IMHO we should not ask german brewers to do like Americans do. Multikulti is a value, not a limit, IMHO. Autarchy and respect for one’s own roots, too.

Originally posted by Erlangernick
There’s so, so much better around -- even on the same bloody street in Bamberg!

Really? Which beer(s) are you referring to? I’m coming back to Oberfranken this summer and I’m up to every kind of recommendation


The obvious answer is Keesmann -- Pils and the Dunkel are more flavourful than the Mahr’s U.
5/7/2013 12:55:25 AM

Private message send the author a private message


premium
MannyGoldberg 160:6
Originally posted by lberges
Originally posted by MannyGoldberg
Brewdog are currently looking at locations to open a bar in Berlin.

Who cares? Just another place to rip-off tourists.


Yeah the bars are crap but they do have some good guest beers.
5/7/2013 8:46:39 AM

Private message send the author a private message


lberges 40
Guest beer is a good british tradition. Rare in Germany because many bars are bound by contract. Wonder what brewdog will serve. Another UK beer? A major German? Or something more interesting, something better than brewdog?
5/9/2013 7:04:04 AM

Private message send the author a private message

Home > Forums > Non-US

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers
add
Advanced Search
Add A Beer
Add A Brewer
Add A Place
Events
membership
Log In
Edit Personal Info
Buy Premium Membership
Your Messages
the best
RateBeer Best
100 Beer Club
The Top 50