Getting to Know Seattle

Reads 1080 • Replies 12 • Started Tuesday, July 29, 2014 11:15:32 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

beastiefan2k
beers 5012 º places 294 º 11:15 Tue 7/29/2014

Hey all,

Just starting to settle in here and had a few questions for the locals.

1. So, I have hit up half the breweries in Ballard. The concentration of breweries is amazing, I did not realize that before I moved here. Any RBians interested in doing the Full Monty and brewery crawling across all 10 spots?

2. I have visited 7 different brewpubs/breweries so far in town and my favorite are Hale’s and Pike at the moment (the others: Spinnaker Bay, Bad Jimmy’s, Stoup, Populux, Maritime). Am I an out of touch? The new hip places are fun but the beer is either singularly minded (hops) or sometimes boring and bad. I know Hale’s or Pike don’t blow anyone out of the water but they seem to make very solid beers.

3. Seafood! Where do I go for good (and affordable) Seattle seafood, especially oysters.

4. What else should I do in Seattle that isn’t beer or nature related?

5. Beer festivals. Any must-do fests here in town? I would love to do Oregon Brewers fest next summer and have wanted to do it for a while now. Anything nearly similar or worthwhile in Seattle?

6. Anyone want to do a mid week meet up at a bar or tasting at my place next week?

beastiefan2k
beers 5012 º places 294 º 17:35 Thu 7/31/2014

crickets?

Prufrockstar
beers 2132 º places 83 º 18:25 Thu 7/31/2014

1. I’m game.

2. Fremont and Reuben’s are two of my favorites.

3. I’ll defer to others, because I usually just end up at Ray’s when I’m feeling seafood.

4. What kind of stuff do you like to do?

5. Great Pumpkin beer fest is pretty great. seattle international beerfest is also nice (beer list is online; the VIP option or whatever they call it is worth it). Fresh hop festival in Yakima is fun. You’ve already missed the washington brewers fest, but I hear that one is great.

6. Yes and/or yes!

JoeMcPhee
beers 12092 º places 543 º 20:33 Thu 7/31/2014

I liked the underground tour when I was visiting. Elysian and Diamond Knot were my favourite brewpubs but it’s changed quite a bit since I was last there. What are you doing out there?

glkaiser
beers 1214 º places 38 º 21:54 Thu 7/31/2014

If I remember correctly, you ended up finding a place on the south side of the city, right? I’m in Beacon Hill. We should meet up at Tippe & Drague for beers sometime soon and I’d be happy to chat about the city & beer scene.
Geoff

douglas88
admin
beers 13197 º places 398 º 22:23 Thu 7/31/2014

Come visit Portland!

waltersrj
beers 280 º places 2 º 08:00 Fri 8/1/2014

If you’re an oyster lover then you need to go to The Walrus and the Carpentar. Absolutely phenomenal and make sure to go to their progressive happpy hour for the best prices.

For best breweries in and around Seattle I’d recommend Fremont, Black Raven, Reuben’s, and Elysian has killer beers in their Tangletown location.

For festivals we have a killer lineup during Seattle Beer Week (middle of May) and Brouwer’s Cafe has phenomenal festivals throughout the year. Hopfesy is in September, December has Bigwoog (BA and sour beers), and during SBW they do the best Sourfest ever, Barleywine fest called Hard Liver, and Back in Black Stout fest with a bunch of other fun ones as well. Also in a few weeks is SIB (seattle international beerfest) which is fun as well.

Definitely could meet up for a drink sometime.

Cheers
Ryan

after4ever
admin
beers 8025 º places 322 º 08:12 Fri 8/1/2014

1. I could hit up the Ballard spots. Georgetown and South Park/Industrial District are lousy with breweries as well.

2. Hale’s and Pike are legit for sure, good QA and good ingredients. They both make some nice specials when the spirit moves. Agree with Chris--Fremont and Reuben’s are the champs in Fremont/Ballard. Big Time is showing well lately, and Holy Mountain will be very good when they’re up and running.

3. For affordable oysters and other seafood, you gotta check out Taylor Shellfish Market. They provide oysters to most of the better seafood restaurants in town. You get the same oysters, maybe a day fresher, probably half the price. Lots of cool specialty food shops share space with TSM. Calf and Kid in there has amazing cheese--only place in town with Stichelton.

4. Make sure to hit Seattle Art Museum, Frye Gallery, comb the Pike Place Market, survey some good coffee places (Vivace, Stumptown, Fonte, Lighthouse, et al), rent kayaks at Agua Verde, ride bikes on the Burke Gilman out to Redhook Woodinville (other breweries on the way), take a ferry over the water (check out Poulsbo and/or Port Townsend), drive up Chuckanut Drive to Bellingham.

5. +1 Seattle Beer Week
+1 Brouwer’s Festivals
Washington Cask Beer Fest
Washington Winter Beer Fest
Seattle International Beer Fest

6. Mid week can be tough for me depending on work but I do need to get out more

beastiefan2k
beers 5012 º places 294 º 15:18 Fri 8/1/2014

Originally posted by JoeMcPhee
I liked the underground tour when I was visiting. Elysian and Diamond Knot were my favourite brewpubs but it’s changed quite a bit since I was last there. What are you doing out there?

Joe, I LIVE HERE NOW!!! !!!! !!!!

I’m official, got a 2-year post doc (emphasis on doc) out here.

beastiefan2k
beers 5012 º places 294 º 15:19 Fri 8/1/2014

Originally posted by glkaiser
If I remember correctly, you ended up finding a place on the south side of the city, right? I’m in Beacon Hill. We should meet up at Tippe & Drague for beers sometime soon and I’d be happy to chat about the city & beer scene.
Geoff

I am very close, right on the border of Mt. Baker and Columbia City. Very much down to meet and I have been to the apparently one decent bar in that area.

beastiefan2k
beers 5012 º places 294 º 15:19 Fri 8/1/2014

Originally posted by douglas88
Come visit Portland!

I plan to and hopefully meet you finally.