Going to NY

Reads 1515 • Replies 15 • Started Thursday, September 25, 2014 4:41:31 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

kraddel
beers 10779 º places 386 º 04:41 Thu 9/25/2014

Hey ! I’m a Belgian guy coming over to NY in february ( all of february , though I will also be visiting DC ) .
I will stay at queens (couchsurfing like a pro ) and plan to explore all around me . Beers, breweries , bars ,....

All tips are welcome ! also interested in tastings / trades ,... the whole package !

jredmond
beers 10321 º places 301 º 05:57 Thu 9/25/2014

We could definitely set up a tasting while you’re in town.

MaxxDaddy
beers 415 º places 32 º 06:39 Thu 9/25/2014

The legend himself! I’d be very up for a tasting, meet-up, trade, whatever you like, Dylan. No shortage of good spots around town, so let us know what you’re most interested in beer-wise when you’re in town and we can direct you to wherever best suits your cravings.

jtclockwork
beers 21132 º places 554 º 09:34 Thu 9/25/2014

I’m definitely down. Dylan went above and beyond to hook me up with some faros.

As far as local spots, there are three nano-breweries in Queens - Rockaway, Big Alice and Transmitter. The only day you can go to all three is Friday as Big Alice only opens friday nights. You are also very close to Greenpoint, so you could hit up Dirck the Norseman, which is a solid brewpub. Brouwerij Lane is right around the corner from there and usually has some local taps you don’t see everywhere else.

I also definitely recommend Other Half, especially any of their IPAs. You can usually get them around town or in Brooklyn, so you probably don’t need to go to the brewery unless they have something specific on, but since you have a month, I’d make a trip there.

kraddel
beers 10779 º places 386 º 03:25 Wed 10/1/2014

ok thnx for the info ! Mainly looking to learn as much as possible about the american way ( beerwise ) , small breweries ( also to make connections to sell etc in the bar in Belgium ) , try as many new things as possible, plus , I can’t deny I’m a whalehunter, so that might be cool as well ;)

Looking forward to it !

spacecoyote
09:54 Wed 10/1/2014

Singlecut Beersmiths, Queens (brewery)
Threes, Brooklyn (brewery)
Other Half, Brooklyn (brewery)
Barrier, Oceanside (brewery)
Greenport Harbor, Greenport (brewery)

Beer Table Pantry, Manhattan (take-away)
Brouwerij Lane, Manhattan, (take-away, bar)
Good Beer, Manhattan (take-away)
New Beer, Manhattan (take-away)
Top Hops, Manhattan (take-away)

Bierkraft, Brooklyn (take-away, bar, food, brewery)
Bar Great Harry, Brooklyn (bar)
4th Ave Pub, Brooklyn (bar)
Mission Delores, Brooklyn (bar)
Double Windsor, Brooklyn (bar)

kraddel
beers 10779 º places 386 º 20:24 Fri 12/12/2014

OK , some more info .

I have talked with sir J.T. Clockwork ( imma take aguess this aint his real name ... ) . I will bring the eszett for the group to share . Preferably , id like to taste it with max 10 in total ( no danish ticks you know ... ) .

ISO for it 1;1 would be the well known list ( dave , don q , MMM , Midnight sun M , .... )
But I am perfectly fine of setting up a tasting with multiple , less extreme beers, as long as they do include a few of my wants ( which I hope to find the time to update soon as they are - and always will be - far from complete .

Other things I could bring ?? Most of my haves list ( accept the ones that are already agreed upon ) plus far and far more . I have a very big stock at my house , and work in some beerplaces, and live in Belgium .
Feel free to ask whatever , but please , PLEASE dont ask for retired cantillon / 3 f / other high sought after beers that are retired, since most of them are in US and we have a way harder time on getting them ( and get questions to get them daily ) .

So , lets try to settle a date , perhaps ? Make some kind of list ...

Contact me PM or here for propositions. Trades also welcome, of course, as long as it is for beer I can’t buy there myself ;)

Cheers and lets make this party rockin’ !

MaxxDaddy
beers 415 º places 32 º 09:22 Sun 12/14/2014

I can confirm that JT Clockwork is not his real name, though he should certainly consider that name for a future hip hop career.

Considering how far out it is until you get here, I think it may be difficult to try to set a tasting date right now. Perhaps we can revisit that in the last week of January. Not sure how many whale chasers are left in the city area and are active on RB, but a good lot of us are up for more casual tastings and meeting up at bars/breweries across town.

See you in about 6-7 weeks!

Jow
beers 7344 º places 487 º 13:03 Sun 12/14/2014

blipp
beers 14843 º places 219 º 21:13 Sun 12/14/2014

This is starting to sound a bit out of my league...

jtclockwork
beers 21132 º places 554 º 21:21 Sun 12/14/2014

He’s here for a month so I’m sure we can all meet up in the city at some point.