Gose- what style by RB guidelines?

Reads 1088 • Replies 16 • Started Wednesday, August 8, 2012 8:32:26 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

craftycarl21
beers 2338 º places 93 º 08:32 Wed 8/8/2012

Hey all,

So I was just about to add Flying Dog Gose brewed with salt, coriander, and Old Bay seasoning, but I don’t really know what the best category. Traditional ale like Bahnhof Leipziger Gose et al, or more spice/herb/vegetable because of the Old Bay addition?

NobleSquirrel
beers 3437 º places 209 º 08:35 Wed 8/8/2012

Traditional, I’d say.

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 08:37 Wed 8/8/2012

Originally posted by craftycarl21
Hey all,

So I was just about to add Flying Dog Gose brewed with salt, coriander, and Old Bay seasoning, but I don’t really know what the best category. Traditional ale like Bahnhof Leipziger Gose et al, or more spice/herb/vegetable because of the Old Bay addition?

I think a true Gose falls under the Traditional Ale category.

But, at least around here (Midwest), we’ve been finding a lot of soured wheat base ales without Salt at all.. the brewery calls them Gose (Brugge, Destihl) lately.. when in fact, they are more in line with Berliner Weiss.. or a barrel aged Sour/Wild Wheat ale..

CanIHave4Beers
beers 4373 º places 76 º 08:40 Wed 8/8/2012

Originally posted by TheAlum
Hey all,

But, at least around here (Midwest), we’ve been finding a lot of soured wheat base ales without Salt at all.. the brewery calls them Gose (Brugge, Destihl) lately.. when in fact, they are more in line with Berliner Weiss.. or a barrel aged Sour/Wild Wheat ale..

So it gose...

NobleSquirrel
beers 3437 º places 209 º 08:55 Wed 8/8/2012

Hey all,

Does the Destihl not have salt? The beer shouldn’t taste salty, just have a mineral quality to it.

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 08:57 Wed 8/8/2012

Originally posted by NobleSquirrel
Hey all,

Does the Destihl not have salt? The beer shouldn’t taste salty, just have a mineral quality to it.

They added no salt to the beer.

NobleSquirrel
beers 3437 º places 209 º 09:47 Wed 8/8/2012

Originally posted by NobleSquirrel
Hey all,

They added no salt to the beer.

coriander?

notalush
beers 7123 º places 452 º 12:47 Wed 8/8/2012

So when is the semi-annual "gose should be its own style in the database" argument going to start?

Savvy1982
beers 1706 º places 70 º 12:48 Wed 8/8/2012

Originally posted by notalush
So when is the semi-annual "gose should be its own style in the database" argument going to start?

Hopefully never.

It’s fine as a Traditional ale.

Now Sahtea on the other hand..

GT
beers 10001 º places 672 º 12:55 Wed 8/8/2012

I have to walk through mountains of gose shit to get to my car each day. Damn those canadians!! (like savvy)

tronraner
beers 2459 º places 109 º 13:03 Wed 8/8/2012

Originally posted by notalush

It’s an argument that comes and gose.