Green Flash Green Bullet: what am I missing?

Reads 2217 • Replies 28 • Started Thursday, August 21, 2014 2:11:12 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

spacecoyote
14:54 Thu 8/21/2014

Originally posted by RABinCO
Originally posted by spacecoyote
It’s seasonal availability is september-december. so it’s probably incredibly fresh.

Your sarcasm aside, thanks for the info. I bought this beer because the clerk said, "we just got this in", so I foolishly, like a carpenter, thought that meant that it was fresh. Next time I’ll try to not be in such a hurry.

edit: Like so many folks nowadays, I have a taste for hops. It’s a deep-seated obsessive passion for fresh and hoppy beer. This was to be my after work brew, and all I’m left with is a light buzz and medicinal taste on my tongue. Bummer, for sure.

I’m not being sarcastic. It’s probably from the latest batch and hit shelves early.

Oh, well, then if it’s fresh...

BOO THIS BREWERY!!!!!

(Seriously though, what a let-down.)

spacecoyote
14:57 Thu 8/21/2014

I don’t think Green Flash would put out an IPA in the Fall of 2013 with a best by date of February 2015.

I wouldn’t think that at first either, I was just trying to give them the benefit of the doubt by blaming the bad brew on a disreputable distributor or dubious retailer.

If this beer is fresh, they have no right to call it an IPA, I’m sorry but they don’t. It’s a "strong ale" at best.

spacecoyote
15:00 Thu 8/21/2014

Stock Ale, let’s just split the difference and call it a stock ale.

DrSilverworm
beers 11383 º places 123 º 15:21 Thu 8/21/2014

’Triple IPA’ seems to mean "triple the malt" more often than it means "triple the hop"

Bitterbill
beers 3241 º places 25 º 16:17 Thu 8/21/2014

For what it’s worth, I didn’t like it either.

peteinSD
places 57 º 17:25 Thu 8/21/2014

tangent - had a pint of their west coast ipa a few weeks back. it’s not even the same beer they were making 10 odd years ago. meh.

edit. lol. i see in the ratings that it is a new beer - but man it was weak.

peteinSD
places 57 º 17:27 Thu 8/21/2014

Suttree
beers 7122 º places 260 º 17:41 Thu 8/21/2014

Originally posted by DrSilverworm
’Triple IPA’ seems to mean "triple the malt" more often than it means "triple the hop"

Yep. True for a lot "double IPAs", as well.

ChazMania
beers 669 º places 13 º 20:09 Thu 8/21/2014

Originally posted by peteinSD
tangent - had a pint of their west coast ipa a few weeks back. it’s not even the same beer they were making 10 odd years ago. meh.

edit. lol. i see in the ratings that it is a new beer - but man it was weak.

The change to the WCIPA a few months back is perhaps the biggest disappointment I can recall in my craft beer drinking life. That beer was perfect at 7.3%, it was a benchmark. For them to push it to 8.1, keep calling it WCIPA but double, is bogus. They should have just released a new beer at 8.1 and kept the original at 7.3. They did the same with Hop Head Red. Now, they have NO regular offering IPA in my target ideal range of 7-7.5%.

Their FB says Green Bullet is back- but not until next week. So wondering if a distributor in your area just released whatever old stock they had to make room for new, or they released this new one early. Either way, GF has lost a huge share of my beer budget this year.

RABinCO
beers 1511 º places 103 º 20:13 Thu 8/21/2014

Green Flash is good at making high-ABV beers. Unfortunately, they are not always good at making good high-ABV beers.