How to import Beer into the US for personal consumption?

Reads 46787 • Replies 24 • Started Wednesday, October 5, 2011 9:32:38 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

tdtm82
beers 1704 º places 138 º 08:08 Thu 11/24/2011

Originally posted by Travlr
Originally posted by suprchunk
Ship it from airport to airport. Let customs know. You might have to pay federal AND state/local taxes. It’s all on the TTB site, with links to each states policy and rates.
I shipped a large amount of beer (30 cases), hard liquor (2 cases) and wine (14 cases) from Germany to the US once, from airport to airport, Frankfurt to Norfolk, VA. I used a freight handler that a German vineyard used. Declared everything through customs. I applied for an import license to Virginia, for alcohol for personal consumption.
Cost:
$500 for the freight handler to pick it up at my house, wrap it, and ship it under climate controlled conditions.
$10 for the import license.
$19 for federal, state and local taxes.
Cost to me:
nothing. The military reimbursed me in full.

Thank you, everyone, for paying your taxes.

If there’s anything that makes you feel patriotic, let’s face it, not much does, then this is it!

javit
08:54 Thu 11/24/2011

Originally posted by tdtm82
Originally posted by Travlr
Originally posted by suprchunk
Ship it from airport to airport. Let customs know. You might have to pay federal AND state/local taxes. It’s all on the TTB site, with links to each states policy and rates.
I shipped a large amount of beer (30 cases), hard liquor (2 cases) and wine (14 cases) from Germany to the US once, from airport to airport, Frankfurt to Norfolk, VA. I used a freight handler that a German vineyard used. Declared everything through customs. I applied for an import license to Virginia, for alcohol for personal consumption.
Cost:
$500 for the freight handler to pick it up at my house, wrap it, and ship it under climate controlled conditions.
$10 for the import license.
$19 for federal, state and local taxes.
Cost to me:
nothing. The military reimbursed me in full.

Thank you, everyone, for paying your taxes.

If there’s anything that makes you feel patriotic, let’s face it, not much does, then this is it!

Doesn’t make me feel patriotic at all. Makes me feel like I’m paying taxes for a ridiculous service that has nothing to do with a "war".

lberges
beers 19 º places 64 º 06:01 Sun 12/25/2011

Afaik:
Bringing 1 litre to U.S. personally is legal, duty free, no tax. Larger volumes may cause problems. A proper declaration at the airport is almost impossible, the tax itself is the least problem. Try it with a smile...

Shipping more than 1 litre is not illegal, but difficult. Fedex, for example, asks 70 $ to do all the paperwork for you. I never heard that private person did that successfully without professional support.

Another problem: While the U.S. allows import/shipping of beer, your state law might be more restrictive. You have to check that. My adivce: Contact your local CBP. They should know the rules of your state and might be able to help you

Pallieter85
beers 15 º places 26 º 17:57 Wed 12/28/2011

I recently flew to the States and according to British Airways it was allowed to bring 5 liters of alcoholic beverages for personal use with me. I took a total of about 10 liters with me, declared everything and no questions were asked and no taxes had to be paid. Some friends advised me in advance to declare every single bottle and even then if you take more than allowed, they usually won’t bother you with taxes. It might be another story if you take 10 liters of whiskey with you. They don’t seem to care too much about beer as it’s considered a low alcohol alcoholic beverage. Little did they know I brought a 26% ABV beer :p

Shipping alcohol to the US is prohibited if you don’t have a license. From what I understand you can do it anyway if you declare it as a live yeast sample.