I Left A Failed Brew On The Shelf But Now It’s Amazing

Reads 714 • Replies 5 • Started Saturday, May 31, 2014 11:00:50 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Jamesthebrit
beers 422 º places 22 º 11:00 Sat 5/31/2014

About a year ago I brewed an imperial habenaro saison. It bubbled slowly in the carboy for about a month so I primed it and bottled it. Then a few weeks later I opened one up and it was flat as a pancake... A couple months later gave another one a go... still nothing.

Having spent too much money on the brew I decided to let it sit on the shelf.

So today I am going to drain pour the bottles so I can recycle them and as I uncap one a little pffffft comes out. So I’m all: ok let me just check it out.

Poured it into a glass: amazing. Like crazy good. Like way better than beer I buy at the store.

So what happened? My guess is some wild yeast or some other buggy got into the beer and slowly fermented it since I am getting some subtle sour notes in there. Maybe I didn’t let it ferment enough? Maybe the alcohol got too high and so the pitch before bottling didn’t take?

Anyone had this happen? Since the beer was so good I would like to copy the result but I’m not sure what happened.

JulienHuxley
beers 6219 º places 450 º 00:10 Sun 6/1/2014

You said saison, so I imagine you were using some strain of saison yeast? If so, that could explain some things. Saison strains (there are exceptions, like Wyeast French Saison for example) can be quite finicky. I’ve had beers take a long time to reach terminal gravity (4-6 weeks) before.

I’ve never had carbonation issues but I have had whole batches that were really estery in the bottle, almost hefe-weizen like but after 6 months smoothed down quite nicely to something much closer to a belgian saison. Not certain if this is what happened to you of course, but in my experience it is a yeast that takes some patience.

HaStuMiteZen99
beers 1111 º places 27 º 03:26 Tue 6/3/2014

Depending on the gravity measurements, alcohol percentage (you did say it’s an ’imperial saison’, though typing those words makes me shudder :P), pitching rate, fermentation temperature and perhaps other things, it could also have been a matter of too little healthy yeast left to carbonate it in a reasonable amount of time. That, especially combined with a ’finicky’ yeast strain could well explain it taking a good few months to properly carbonate.

Could be an infection though. What was your FG? If you’ve got a brett infection, and a reasonable amount of sugar left, beware bottle bombs. Fridging the beer once it reaches the right carbonation and drinking it quick helps, if this is the problem.

Anyway, glad it worked out. It’s always great when a shit batch turns good.

harrisoni
beers 25356 º places 68 º 03:32 Tue 6/3/2014

Funnily enough I’ve just had the complete opposite. A zwickel beer that started out fresh and lovely (some caramel some lemon some bitterness) has suddenly turned all smokey and rubbery and not in a good way. And it’s only been in bottle 4 weeks. Good thing I drank most of it whilst it was half decent.

dnicolaescu
beers 3909 º places 65 º 04:21 Tue 6/3/2014

And I had it the third way... made a porter that turned out harsh and estery like hell. After a month or two in the bottle it settled down and got flat, thin and boring.

The worst of both worlds... :)

kraddel
beers 10779 º places 386 º 05:45 Tue 6/3/2014

I know another homebrew that tasted like piss back when it was fresh, and than became quite good ...
The beer name is dirty horse ...

so ... Congratz !

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer