Inpetual Pilsner Barleywine?

Reads 1924 • Replies 6 • Started Thursday, May 3, 2012 7:06:55 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

wnoble
beers 1251 º 19:06 Thu 5/3/2012

I was thinking about trying to make something like a pilsner with barleywine strength, sweetness and bitterness. just pilsner malts and a variety of noble hops and lager or clean American ale yeast. Thoughts? HOTD Fred comes to mind but that may be a little sweet.

wnoble
beers 1251 º 19:11 Thu 5/3/2012

Typo from the iPhone. Sorry. Meant to be imperial, obviously.

notalush
beers 7126 º places 452 º 19:13 Thu 5/3/2012

Brain. Hurts.

BBB63
beers 6567 º places 146 º 19:45 Thu 5/3/2012

just don’t if you ask me!

You can sure use a lot of pils malt over a 90m or 120m boil, but for the love of all things beer, do not leave out specialty malts for they add depth to any barleywine. Then hop the living shit outta it but with low alpha hops, then let lay for 3 years.

THIS IS MY OPINION and why I don’t like many American Barleywines for they use high alpha aggressive hops.

ALLOVATE
beers 3847 º places 111 º 06:28 Fri 5/4/2012

Originally posted by BBB63
just don’t if you ask me!

You can sure use a lot of pils malt over a 90m or 120m boil, but for the love of all things beer, do not leave out specialty malts for they add depth to any barleywine. Then hop the living shit outta it but with low alpha hops, then let lay for 3 years.

THIS IS MY OPINION and why I don’t like many American Barleywines for they use high alpha aggressive hops.

+1 for this.
I know DMS may be a worry so a long boil and rapid cool at such a high use of Pilsener malt may not be enough to rid it from the beer. Use of a lager yeast will restrict esters forming if lagered at low temperatures so you may just end up with a high alcohol glass of soda water with a sulphorous and boiled vegetable aroma. Kilned malt has less S-methyl-methionine (SMM) which is linked to DMS by-products, so I’d recommend using Cara, or toasted grains and restrict pilsner malt to 50%.
Also, the use of Noble hops is part of a traditional Barleywine to some degree aside the introduction of Kentish and Wiltshire hops. So work them out to balance the grist used in the mash.
And use a decoction style of mash, removing part of the wort and bringing it to a simmer before returning it to the mash tun.
Other factors are there, but that’s all. Back to what BBB63 said.

bitbucket
beers 2166 º places 63 º 17:37 Fri 5/4/2012

Originally posted by wnoble
I was thinking about trying to make something like a pilsner with barleywine strength, sweetness and bitterness. just pilsner malts and a variety of noble hops and lager or clean American ale yeast. Thoughts? HOTD Fred comes to mind but that may be a little sweet.

I’m not sure if you’re aiming for an imperial pils or a barleywine. I think you’d need to pick up a lot of kettle caramelization if you were aiming for Fred territory. Sort of a wee-really-heavy with pils malt?

SamGamgee
beers 2452 º places 182 º 18:03 Fri 5/4/2012

Like Samichlaus Helles? So either a blond doppelbock or blond barley wine? We did a barley wine with all pale malt and el dorado hops that I thought came out really nice, but fermented with english yeast. Deep yellow and medium-strong bitterness and hop aroma. Went very well with some bourbon barrel aging.

If you are going lager and not too hoppy, I think you have to play up the malt like a bock. Imperial pils with a lower, german pils-like malt flavor can work, but then I think you need a lot of hops to cover up the alcohol, which comes to dominate the flavor profile in the absence of a rich malt character. Port Panzer Imperial pils was one that I liked a lot, but it was almost like a DIPA. I think this style can work, but most that I have had have has obnoxious alcohol presence that ruins the beer.