I’ve got a fungus. PIC’s INSIDE!!!

Reads 5663 • Replies 24 • Started Wednesday, January 6, 2016 10:14:49 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

CLevar
places 23 º 20:55 Wed 1/13/2016

Originally posted by Strykzone
Give it about 18 months and see what happens.

That’s one option for sure!

I’d still be worried about the amount of headspace it looks like you have in that vessel...eventually, the beer will stop vigorously fermenting (again) and you might be back to where you were.

VsXsV
beers 5000 º places 92 º 03:01 Thu 1/14/2016

Just a heads up. Make sure not to serve the beer to anybody with Penicillin allergy. Might end bad.

I had a bretted Saison that got moldy a couple years ago, probably from my starter (the source of the Brett. was a friend of mine who gave it to me in a jar, which then sat in my fridge for a while). What I did, as this was in a fermenting bucket, was to desinfect a big spoon and remove all of the mold at the top and then transfer it to a new bucket (fermentation was still ongoing at this point as the mold was showing already one day after pitching). Never saw any mold in that beer again and it turned out pretty nice.

HornyDevil
04:52 Thu 1/14/2016

Originally posted by Strykzone
Give it about 18 months and see what happens.

That sounds like science to me right there.

joeneugs
beers 6372 º places 240 º 08:29 Thu 1/14/2016

Originally posted by VsXsV
Just a heads up. Make sure not to serve the beer to anybody with Penicillin allergy. Might end bad.

I had a bretted Saison that got moldy a couple years ago, probably from my starter (the source of the Brett. was a friend of mine who gave it to me in a jar, which then sat in my fridge for a while). What I did, as this was in a fermenting bucket, was to desinfect a big spoon and remove all of the mold at the top and then transfer it to a new bucket (fermentation was still ongoing at this point as the mold was showing already one day after pitching). Never saw any mold in that beer again and it turned out pretty nice.

Cool, thanks. That’s the kind of experience I was looking for. I think I’ll try to rack it to a smaller carboy to correct the head space issue and blanket it with some CO2. I’ll try to take a gravity and pH reading in the process if anyone is interested.

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer