Koelschip claims to have strongest beer

Reads 11865 • Replies 45 • Started Tuesday, March 2, 2010 2:56:56 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

NobleSquirrel
beers 3437 º places 209 º 08:05 Tue 3/2/2010

Originally posted by Papsoe
As I understand it The "Obilix" is a gimmicky "protest beer". The 45% is simply achieved by adding whisky.

The Koelschip brewer, Jan Nijboer, finds the race between Schorschbräu and BrewDog for the world’s strongest beer to be a stupid one as he doesn’t consider the ice distilling to be a "proper" way of brewing beer.

In his opinion "Samichlaus" should be considered the strongest as it reaches its 14% by ordinary fermentation.

Some Dutch or Flemish user please correct me if I’m all wrong.

actually, iirc, doesn’t Utopia reach it’s abv without distillation?

CanIHave4Beers
beers 4373 º places 76 º 08:37 Tue 3/2/2010

Originally posted by NobleSquirrel
As I understand it The "Obilix" is a gimmicky "protest beer". The 45% is simply achieved by adding whisky.

The Koelschip brewer, Jan Nijboer, finds the race between Schorschbräu and BrewDog for the world’s strongest beer to be a stupid one as he doesn’t consider the ice distilling to be a "proper" way of brewing beer.

In his opinion "Samichlaus" should be considered the strongest as it reaches its 14% by ordinary fermentation.

Then comes the adjunct sugar argument.

gunhaver
beers 1030 º places 13 º 08:41 Tue 3/2/2010

Originally posted by CanIHave4Beers

which is a silly argument

CanIHave4Beers
beers 4373 º places 76 º 08:42 Tue 3/2/2010

Originally posted by gunhaver
Originally posted by CanIHave4Beers

which is a silly argument

Yes it is, but anyone arguing that Samichlaus is the strongest always brings it up.

kappldav123
beers 8891 º places 10 º 21:34 Tue 3/2/2010

Strange, now they took the newsletter article away from the Koelschip website. There they were talking about this beer to be made after the German Purity Law - I wonder why, if whiskey is added to the beer.

JoeMcPhee
beers 12092 º places 543 º 00:38 Wed 3/3/2010

How strong is the whiskey they’re adding? In order to get it to 45% with a base beer at 13%, they’d need a shitload of even something at cask strength. It would literally be more whisky than beer in that case.

ChristianSA
beers 368 º places 21 º 00:53 Wed 3/3/2010

Originally posted by JoeMcPhee
How strong is the whiskey they’re adding? In order to get it to 45% with a base beer at 13%, they’d need a shitload of even something at cask strength. It would literally be more whisky than beer in that case.

If they claim it is beer (and thus at least 50,1% beer with added liqour), then the Whiskey has to be 77% ABV.

Wonder if the the admins at Ratewhiskey.com accept a 77% whiskey?

-Christian

Trappistenbier
beers 52 º places 4 º 01:04 Wed 3/3/2010

Originally posted by ChristianSA
If they claim it is beer (and thus at least 50,1% beer with added liqour), then the Whiskey has to be 77% ABV.

Indeed, in this case, a LOAD of very strong Whiskey had to be inserted. Can we still call this liquid beer ?? I strongly doubt. If so, we can easily add some 99.8 vol% pure ethanol. Easy, isn’t it
Anyway, the main reason for launching the "Strongest Beer in the World" is ONLY to give attention towards their brewery.
A certain manner to get into the news, radio, newspapers, beer forums. Yes, to get in the picture.
And..... they succeeded. This is called "marketing".
Cheers,
Filip

Rciesla
beers 5497 º places 3 º 01:18 Wed 3/3/2010

Whiskey added to increase overall ABV, dunno but everything about that screams End Thread to me.

jbrus
beers 4986 º places 168 º 01:20 Wed 3/3/2010

Originally posted by Rciesla
Whiskey added to increase overall ABV, dunno but everything about that screams End Thread to me.

Let them discuss but it’s not allowed in the ratebeer database.